Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2011, 18:16   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Need Advice - car sold but not transferred

^ok. I have the details of the owner who my father sold it to, so will get in touch with him to see if i can get the new guys number

I think telling them something like what you said, may clearly put the necessary fear in them
Old 15th January 2011, 19:15   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

@thedreamcatcher

Even i am facing this problem.We sold our M800 in 2003 to maruti true value and i am still getting all the traffic violations of that car to my address.Recently we sold our santro to hyundai and again the same problem.The new owner has already jumped 3 signals and booked twice for rash and negligent driving.

Can you tell me the website from where to get this info please?I badly need it as a proof to confront the hyundai guys.Please try to remember the website and post it .

Experts please advice how to go about this matter ?Especially since i have sold the vehice through the dealers they dont give anything other than a Delivery note.Also I inquired with the RTO,they said the delivery note is not sufficient if the car is involved in some accident or crime.You will be held responsible.You need a transfer copy to prove your innocence
Old 15th January 2011, 19:38   #63
Senior - BHPian

I finally managed to find the website

www.btis.in and click on RTO to get ownership details and fines for violation details

You can also get fines via the Bangalore Traffic Police webiste and another place i see it is on the bangalore one website, after you have registered
Old 15th January 2011, 21:59   #64
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

I too have experienced this problem. Even when I sold my car to my neighbor who transfered the same and handed me proof transfer. I got a notice for parking violation. When I confronted the cops with the proof of transfer, they said the that the RTO has not informed which as per me is not correct. The police just do not update their records. In my case the transferor and transferee RTO was the same hence the records had been updated when I checked in the RTO.

You can do the following now

1. Get a set of Form 30 which deals with intimation to the RTO on sale of the vehicle
2. Duly complete a new Form 30 in duplicate with the details from the Delivery Note
3. Send by registered post (Ack Due) to your RTO and and another to the buyers RTO along with a copy of the Delivery Slip. Keep the acknowledgement safely.

This will at least save you going forward.

Further get a Form B Extract from the RTO which will give you details if a NOC/CC has been issued to another RTO for the transfer of the car. If such is the case not to worry.

Going forward as part of you sale you must always insist on transfer of vehicle and employ a broker and let the buyer pay for it.

Cheer

KPS
Old 16th January 2011, 17:45   #65
Senior - BHPian

Here is the catch.

My dad sold it to A. He used my papers and sold it to a broker B. Broker B sold it to another guy C, and C has now sold it to D. We managed to get till person B, but he says he has no idea anymore and where Mr C has gone.

What can i do? Can I just fill up this form 30 and send it to RTO.
Old 19th November 2011, 10:09   #66
BHPian

About a motorbike that I sold 2 years ago

Hey. I was careless when I sold my motorbike 2 something years ago and its come back to bite me now. I did it through 'Jabbar', Kalasipalaya Bengaluru. Here's the story. I would appreciate if you can help me in getting out of it.

I sold a 3 yr old Hero Honda Glamor for 23k through Jabbar in Kalasipalaya Bengaluru. I got the cash upfront and I signed a blank ownership transfer form with it. I thought everything will be kosher since, but the many many traffic offence challans that I'm getting are telling me that its not. Jabbar assured me that he had done an ownership transfer when he found a buyer. He also happened to mention that the RTO database is never up to date and this could be why the challans are still coming to me. Convinced that he infact has done a transfer, I handed over all the challans and asked him to handle it( I do have copies of it).

Its been 2 months since I asked him to give me documents that show that he infact has done a transfer, but he's been buying more and more time. I did not keep a copy of the blank ownership transfer form that I signed. Very careless I know. I do have copies of the RC, Insurance etc.

I would like what this man has under his fingernails. Please also guide me on the steps that I should be taking now to resolve this.

Rds,
Vinu.
Old 19th November 2011, 16:23   #67
Senior - BHPian

Re: About a motorbike that I sold 2 years ago

I had a similar situation sometime back. You need to issue a public notice in any newspaper stating that you, S/o, R/o had sold this bike on ____ to ____ S/O, R/o and that you're not liable for any consequences, whatsoever w.e.f. sale date.

This has to be done on a advocate's letterhead. (any lawyer sitting outside any court would do this and charge you something around Rs. 100-300).

You may choose newspaper "Veer Arjun"/"Mail Today" for this.. cheapest ones. (app. 500-700).

With this notice, you need to write a letter escaping liability to the highest authority in Traffic Deptt of your city with a cc to the concerned ITO, visit them personally and get a receiving from both of them. This recieved letter is the only remedy for any legal issue that may arise.
panky12345 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2011, 17:09   #68
Senior - BHPian

The RTO records will reflect the ownership change if the bike is transferred in the same RTO but not across RTOs. That's my experience in Bangalore.

Ask him where he has transferred the bike - to which RTO ?

You can get a B-ledger extract from the RTO where the bike has been transferred - see Transport Department - assuming that he has transferred the bike.

My bike was originally bought from the Indiranagar RTO - then transferred to the Yeshvantpur RTO by the purchaser. The RTO on the BTIS website records still show me as the owner and I would receive challans. However, the B-extract from the YPR RTO does show the new owner correctly.

Avoid touts.

Last edited by sdp1975 : 19th November 2011 at 17:11.
Old 19th November 2011, 17:11   #69
BHPian

Thank you Panky. I got myself into this and the lawyer+newspaper exercise seems to be the only way out of it. I'm just hoping that I won't have to do any of this and that the transfer has infact happened.

I obviously won't be letting things go so far here on. Lesson learnt. Thank you again for the advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
I had a similar situation sometime back. You need to issue a public notice in any newspaper stating that you, S/o, R/o had sold this bike on ____ to ____ S/O, R/o and that you're not liable for any consequences, whatsoever w.e.f. sale date.

This has to be done on a advocate's letterhead. (any lawyer sitting outside any court would do this and charge you something around Rs. 100-300).

You may choose newspaper "Veer Arjun"/"Mail Today" for this.. cheapest ones. (app. 500-700).

With this notice, you need to write a letter escaping liability to the highest authority in Traffic Deptt of your city with a cc to the concerned ITO, visit them personally and get a receiving from both of them. This recieved letter is the only remedy for any legal issue that may arise.
Old 19th November 2011, 18:43   #70
BHPian

Thank you SDP. I got my bike registered in the 4th block Jayanagar RTO when I bought it. I will be there Monday morning for the B ledger extract. Fingers crossed.

As luck would have it, I'm off to meet the broker tomorrow to get the ownership transfer confirmation note. I will hopefully get details about the RTO that the bike is now registered under.

Although I do have a few questions for you.

1. What did you do with the challans ?
2. Would you know if these offences are recorded/raised against the DL or the vehicle ? We are safe if its the latter.
3. I'm trying to tie up all the loose ends. Is there a way to ensure that the transfer is complete, as in no more challans against my name ever.

Thanks again.

Rds,
Vinu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975
The RTO records will reflect the ownership change if the bike is transferred in the same RTO but not across RTOs. That's my experience in Bangalore.

Ask him where he has transferred the bike - to which RTO ?

You can get a B-ledger extract from the RTO where the bike has been transferred - see Transport Department - assuming that he has transferred the bike.

My bike was originally bought from the Indiranagar RTO - then transferred to the Yeshvantpur RTO by the purchaser. The RTO on the BTIS website records still show me as the owner and I would receive challans. However, the B-extract from the YPR RTO does show the new owner correctly.

Avoid touts.
Old 19th November 2011, 19:48   #71
Senior - BHPian

You can check the current ownership details in the RTO records at BTIS - Bangalore Transport Information System

The fines are against the vehicle , see BTIS - Traffic Fines

For me , I know that the vehicle has been transferred so I won't do anything if I get challans. If there's a serious problem, I have the B-extract from the YPR RTO and I'll show that the vehicle has been transferred.

I think it's important to find out if your vehicle has really been transferred or not.

Again , if the vehicle has been transferred to say another RTO ( say indiranagar ) - the Jayanagar RTO won't have any details of it and the extract will show you as the owner. I know this sucks, but this is how the RTO system/software works - or at least used to earlier. Most likely the extract from the Jayanagar RTO will show you as the owner since you are receiving challans.

You need an application for the B-extract explaining the reasons for it.

Last edited by sdp1975 : 19th November 2011 at 19:53.
Old 19th November 2011, 20:12   #72
BHPian

Thank you again.

As per BTIS, the motorbike is still registered to me. Like you have rightly mentioned, I will need to find out if the vehicle has really been transferred or not. I'll fill out an application on Monday and get the B extract thing going.

Here's an other one for you. The Yezdi that I own was transferred from an RTO near cantonment to 4th block Jayanagar(previous owner to me). Strangely, there is no record of this motorbike on BTIS. It doesn't matter, I'm just curious.

Rds,
Vinu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
You can check the current ownership details in the RTO records at BTIS - Bangalore Transport Information System

The fines are against the vehicle , see BTIS - Traffic Fines

For me , I know that the vehicle has been transferred so I won't do anything if I get challans. If there's a serious problem, I have the B-extract from the YPR RTO and I'll show that the vehicle has been transferred.

I think it's important to find out if your vehicle has really been transferred or not.

Again , if the vehicle has been transferred to say another RTO ( say indiranagar ) - the Jayanagar RTO won't have any details of it and the extract will show you as the owner. I know this sucks, but this is how the RTO system/software works - or at least used to earlier. Most likely the extract from the Jayanagar RTO will show you as the owner since you are receiving challans.

You need an application for the B-extract explaining the reasons for it.
Old 19th November 2011, 20:37   #73
Senior - BHPian

Don't trust BTIS - you will only be blaming the data entry operator. As far as the rest of the dept is concerned, they are blissfully ignorant and painfully apathetic at the same time about the computer records. They simply go by the principle of deniability: "Sorry, we don't know how/why/where/who/when... we don't know about computers"!!! 60% of the smart cards they have issued cannot be read even by them.

I checked about the vehicles in my family on the BTIS site -
* no record of my wife's scooter, even though she has got a couple of false traffic offense intimations (from places she has never been to in Bangalore). Possibly the cop who took down the number or analyzed the traffic cam photo was myopic or dyslexic. One of them was 'riding on the pavement', which my wife wouldn't ever think of doing even if there was a traffic jam
* My 2001 Santro still appears in the previous owner's name, even though the RC book has the endorsement in it correctly
Old 19th November 2011, 21:12   #74
BHPian

Wow. That's not very comforting. From the ownership transfer related experiences that you guys have shared, it appears that its just not possible to get it right.

I'll need to take a day off to clear all of this.

Thank you Deralte.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte
Don't trust BTIS - you will only be blaming the data entry operator. As far as the rest of the dept is concerned, they are blissfully ignorant and painfully apathetic at the same time about the computer records. They simply go by the principle of deniability: "Sorry, we don't know how/why/where/who/when... we don't know about computers"!!! 60% of the smart cards they have issued cannot be read even by them.

I checked about the vehicles in my family on the BTIS site -
* no record of my wife's scooter, even though she has got a couple of false traffic offense intimations (from places she has never been to in Bangalore). Possibly the cop who took down the number or analyzed the traffic cam photo was myopic or dyslexic. One of them was 'riding on the pavement', which my wife wouldn't ever think of doing even if there was a traffic jam
* My 2001 Santro still appears in the previous owner's name, even though the RC book has the endorsement in it correctly
Old 19th November 2011, 23:18   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
Hey. I was careless when I sold my motorbike 2 something years ago and its come back to bite me now. I did it through 'Jabbar', Kalasipalaya Bengaluru. Here's the story. I would appreciate if you can help me in getting out of it.

I sold a 3 yr old Hero Honda Glamor for 23k through Jabbar in Kalasipalaya Bengaluru. I got the cash upfront and I signed a blank ownership transfer form with it. I thought everything will be kosher since, but the many many traffic offence challans that I'm getting are telling me that its not. Jabbar assured me that he had done an ownership transfer when he found a buyer. He also happened to mention that the RTO database is never up to date and this could be why the challans are still coming to me. Convinced that he infact has done a transfer, I handed over all the challans and asked him to handle it( I do have copies of it).

Its been 2 months since I asked him to give me documents that show that he infact has done a transfer, but he's been buying more and more time. I did not keep a copy of the blank ownership transfer form that I signed. Very careless I know. I do have copies of the RC, Insurance etc.

I would like what this man has under his fingernails. Please also guide me on the steps that I should be taking now to resolve this.

Rds,
Vinu.
As other friends have suggested you need to consult a lawyer. He will make you sign the typed affidavit on a stamp paper before a notary (govt designated). Please keep this affidavit and the public notices (printed in newspapers). The text on this affidavit is then used by the lawyer to publish a public notice in one or two local dailies.That absolves you of any liability.
If you have deposited the Rs 23 K you received two years ago in your bank account,the credit figures in your pass book is a documentary evidence (though not very authenticating) for the sale being effected.
In future please get a copy of the receipt signed by both the seller and the purchaser with two witnesses. herein, you must quote the time and date of the sale and add that any liabilities that arise due to any acts of omission or commission hereinafter with the motor vehicle shall vest with the purchaser and tat you shall in no way whatsoever be responsible for such acts.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 19th November 2011 at 23:21.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks