Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2009, 11:29   #76
Team-BHP Support

Slightly off topic

Perhaps a separate poll should be created rating BMW, Audi and Mercedes based ONLY on the reliability of each of these. We are constantly comparing these vehicles for all aspects like performance, ride, handling, comfort etc. But after paying top of the line moolah for these cars, I'd be very interested to know which of these is the most reliable or easy to own. (apologies if this already exists somewhere)
Old 30th August 2009, 12:11   #77
v10
BHPian

I own a VW Passat in New Delhi. I've clocked 40k kilometers, driven insane speeds, bad roads and every possible thing you could do with a car on indian roads! The Passat is the perfect city car. Its narrow, relatively small (accord,superb,325i) , a diesel, great driving position and even better handling.

Result - 0 Problems, No issues

Cons- Wish it sounded like a petrol.

I dont see why this six page thread is cribbing about quality issues?

How many actual owners here, who can list their issues with some evidence?
v10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2009, 20:02   #78
Senior - BHPian

Not all VW cars are trouble prone, but perhaps a noticeable proportion have some issues which is being brought to attention.
Old 5th September 2014, 18:27   #79
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp View Post

The engine check light is on while the car still is in proper running condition.
It keeps on reappearing even after running the diagnostic scan and clear the error codes?

Do you know the error code that are appearing on the screen?

Anurag.
Old 5th September 2014, 18:35   #80
bhp
BHPian

Re: VW Passat 1.8 tsi - Problems Alert!

I am also facing a issue with my Passat 1.8 tsi since 2 months now.
The engine check light is on the dashboard while the car runs perfectly.
At times the MID flashes out Engine fault warnings and Steering Rack failures.
But still the car has never ever gone to limp mode.
The fuel pump is changed. The wirings have been checked. But the problem still persists. The ECU has been reflashed.

All this in a car which has just done 12000 kms.

Every time the car is sent to the workshop they claim to rectify it, and after it is back with me the problem is back. I dont understand if they are actually interested in rectifying the problem or my car is just parked at the workshop for days without any work done on it.

Even the customer care at VW is utter nonsense. They just keep generating a new complaint number everytime i call them. But no feedback or callbacks or solution has been provided by them ever.

The car is at VW Downtown Mumbai and they claim to be in touch with VW India technical team, still no solution.

Looks like VW India is just doing R&D with my car.

It is a Shame on VW INDIA that they are not able to diagnose the problem and get it sorted.

The car is still with the VW Downtown Mumbai as we speak.

Its very unfortunate that VW cannot rectify their own products even in a span of around 60 days.

Its time for VW INDIA to wake up and stop taking customers for granted.
bhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2014, 18:49   #81
bhp
BHPian

Re: VW Jetta: Issue with fuel delivery system & check engine light

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
It keeps on reappearing even after running the diagnostic scan and clear the error codes?

Do you know the error code that are appearing on the screen?

Anurag.
Yes.

The codes were once about a O2 sensor and coolant sensor at radiator. Which was sorted by cleaning the Temp sensor. The fuel pump has also been changed.

But the engine check light keeps reappearing all the time.

The latest codes are not known to me.
Old 5th September 2014, 19:20   #82
BHPian

Re: VW Jetta: Issue with fuel delivery system & check engine light

My suggestion would be to get the latest error codes from the service center and look it up for causes in the internet.

http://www.obd-codes.com/

will give you an idea of what those error codes mean. Unfortunately, sometimes, you need to arm yourself with knowledge to challenge the conclusions of the service center if necessary
Old 5th September 2014, 19:57   #83
BHPian

Quote:
@Kanboy

Any updates post the repairs on your car.

I am facing a similar issue with my Passat 1.8 tsi since 2 months now.
Currently the fuel pump is changed. The wirings have been checked. But the problem still persists.

The engine check light is on while the car still is in proper running condition.
It is a Shame on VW INDIA that they are not able to diagnose the problem and get it sorted.

The car is still with the VW Downtown Mumbai as we speak.
Hey bud...well my car being a diesel propelled car, the fault was in the injectors. As soon as they were replaced i got no problem after that, but recently a diesel supply pipe from the High Pressure Pump to the common rail has been bursting, so i have got it replaced twice under warranty, but am still scared of driving the car the way i usually do, as well my confidence in the brand has almost finished when it comes to durability. For you i would advise you to get your car's injection system checked instead of the supply as am sure the dealership has checked your supply system and has not found any problems. Does your car go into safe mode(Turbo does not switch on) when the light starts flashing?

Last edited by Kanboy : 5th September 2014 at 20:00.
Old 5th September 2014, 20:22   #84
BHPian

Re: Vw Passat 1.8 Tsi Problems !! Help

Buddy,

do you want to write to VW india on their Facebook page? I mean you can send a message. I hope that should get an attention.
Old 5th September 2014, 23:19   #85
bhp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent Martin View Post
Buddy,

do you want to write to VW india on their Facebook page? I mean you can send a message. I hope that should get an attention.

I have posted this thread on their Facebook page. Let's see if they care to respond and act on it quick enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanboy View Post
Hey bud...well my car being a diesel propelled car, the fault was in the injectors. As soon as they were replaced i got no problem after that, but recently a diesel supply pipe from the High Pressure Pump to the common rail has been bursting, so i have got it replaced twice under warranty, but am still scared of driving the car the way i usually do, as well my confidence in the brand has almost finished when it comes to durability. For you i would advise you to get your car's injection system checked instead of the supply as am sure the dealership has checked your supply system and has not found any problems. Does your car go into safe mode(Turbo does not switch on) when the light starts flashing?

The car never goes into safe/limp mode. It's just the light is there on the dashboard. The car runs like a dream at all speeds and gears.

There has been a engine fault and steering column failure message at the MID a couple of times though.

Even I have lost confidence in the product completely. Afraid to take it for intercity drives.

Last edited by aah78 : 6th September 2014 at 00:15. Reason: Posts merged.
Old 5th September 2014, 23:51   #86
BANNED

Quote:

The car never goes into safe/limp mode. It's just the light is there on the dashboard. The car runs like a dream at all speeds and gears.

There has been a engine fault and steering column failure message at the MID a couple of times though.
Can you check the wiring and sensors once? Instrumentation console needs a check once may be?

If the check engine light is ON, the vehicle should go into limp mode or some sign of the car going bonkers. Vague!

Anurag.
Old 6th September 2014, 00:26   #87
bhp
BHPian

Quote:
Can you check the wiring and sensors once? Instrumentation console needs a check once may be?

If the check engine light is ON, the vehicle should go into limp mode or some sign of the car going bonkers. Vague!

Anurag.

The dashboard was opened and all sensors and wiring were checked. They had found a loose socket which was fixed. They even charged me for opening/refitting the dashboard inspite of car being under extended warranty.

How can a socket ever go loose ? I fail to understand.

They are checking the O2 sensor tomorrow as informed me.

The car behaving absolutely normal inspite of the engine check light is something very unusual. May be its a very minor problem but surprisingly getting difficult to detect.
Old 6th September 2014, 00:50   #88

Re: VW Passat - Problems Alert!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
This is news to me. For a premium car cost as high as 23-25 lakhs, these should not be the problems. Gearbox issue is the one that can purely be avioded. E-parking, lets say, some electornic messed up, but gearbox ? That downright ugly. In the US markets, the cost of running cost graph for VW reaches possibly the highest or one of the highest levels. Here is where the Japanese step in.
Now is there any such issure reported for other VW cars ?
VW is constantly gaining ground internationally, but that group ( all : VW, Audi and Skoda ) have takes us for granted and all of them ( Audi the less, but we have another thread ) are having problem.
Well said and I completely agree, and which is again the question that comes to my mind as always is "Why on earth did Honda decide to scrap Accord". Its expensive agreed but a fantastic premium sedan. Its only real competition being Superb. Nobody else comes even remotely closer. Kizashi and Sonata are as obscure as I am in Hollywood for lack of a better analogy. Passat's fate is for all to see. That leaves us with Camry, and though it is a decent car, but nothing in comparison to accord or superb. Honda simply made the path clear for skoda to build complete monopoly in the D segment.
pmbdcoe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2014, 00:56   #89
BHPian

Quote:

Anurag.
I Agree with Anurag on this one, if its driving like a dream then surely its one of them sensors, as when there is any mechanical fault/failure then the car will go into safe mode to preserve and safegaurd the turbo and other crucial parts from further damage. The engineer at vw told me that.
To what I understand your problem is either your ecu/software or one of the sensors in the code appearing in the diagnostics, and if the code keeps changing then obviously software. I hope this helps.
Keep calling and reminding VW about your vehicle. VW is very conscious about their Image in India, as they themselves have realised they have durability issues. Immediately ask for a loaner car as your vehicle has been in the dealership for over 2 months. If need arises be prepared for legal route too.
Old 6th September 2014, 01:45   #90
bhp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanboy View Post
I Agree with Anurag on this one, if its driving like a dream then surely its one of them sensors, as when there is any mechanical fault/failure then the car will go into safe mode to preserve and safegaurd the turbo and other crucial parts from further damage. The engineer at vw told me that.
To what I understand your problem is either your ecu/software or one of the sensors in the code appearing in the diagnostics, and if the code keeps changing then obviously software. I hope this helps.
Keep calling and reminding VW about your vehicle. VW is very conscious about their Image in India, as they themselves have realised they have durability issues. Immediately ask for a loaner car as your vehicle has been in the dealership for over 2 months. If need arises be prepared for legal route too.

They are checking all sensors again tomorrow. I have put many mails to VW India but they never care to reply of any positive assurance. Request for technical call backs have also gone unheard.

Once the software has been upgraded/flashed by the workshop as informed to me.

The car is not in the workshop since last 2 months. But the problem persists since then. The car has been to workshop for the 5th time now in past 2 months. This is the second incident where the car is kept for more then 15 days.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks