Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2008, 13:57   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Its one of the best roads I have ever driven on in this part of the country.
Dont you guys think that the ECR and its accidents thingy is just over hyped ? Coz every other NH/SH in this country is equally dangerous. Best example is Bangy-Mysore road.

I have done my fair share of driving on the ECR and personally think that the accident part is over hyped. Accidents happen on every single road in this country and this will continue as long as we have imbeciles and retards behind the steering wheel.

Having driven pedal to metal for long stretches along the ECR, its more of anticipation and the drivers reflexes what comes into play.

To me ECR will always remain the best road I have driven on .
The dangers on the ECR is never hyped. I am a regular commuter on this route.

Few things I have noticed to be dangerous:

1. Dangerous curves. I agree that it takes a driver's skills to conclude if its dangerous or not. But too many incidents/accidents in one specific curve means its dangerous/black marked. The drivers take these curves too lightly and that could well be the reason. The curve on approaching Kalpakkam is too famous for many accidents.

2. Theft & Robbery on these roads (I have heard horror stories from my cousin who is a doctor in a famous hospital on the ECR in Pondy who has attended many emergency cases who are victims to these robbers. The robbers pelt stones at vehicles be it a car/bike on transit and rob them off when they stop to check or fall injured).

3. I find it too helpless in case of any emergency. If your vehicle breaks down in the middle of the night there is absolutely no choice other than to call your manufacturer helpline and wait for somebody to drive from Chennai/Pondy for your help.

4. Educated & Uneducated "Kudimagans" who dont drive fast but fly low on these roads. Any driver skills can help evade a danger only when you can predict the movement of the other car/driver. When the other car/driver's moves are too unpredictable you get sucked into an incident. And this happens quite often on the ECR.

When you frequently commute in the ECR you get to see all the hidden dangers which this part of the highway serves. I usually avoid the ECR when I have to drive through the night. I prefer the Tindivanam-Pondy route anytime!

The ECR is a very well laid road with the scenic beauty of the Bay of Bengal giving you company all the way. Also the reflectors in the night are a beautiful sight

I always enjoy my drives through the ECR where I frequently try to hit the top speed on my car ! But I would always agree that driving through ECR is dangerous business!

Last edited by anachronix : 26th November 2008 at 14:01.
Old 26th November 2008, 15:04   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Its one of the best roads I have ever driven on in this part of the country.
Dont you guys think that the ECR and its accidents thingy is just over hyped ? Coz every other NH/SH in this country is equally dangerous. Best example is Bangy-Mysore road.

I have done my fair share of driving on the ECR and personally think that the accident part is over hyped. Accidents happen on every single road in this country and this will continue as long as we have imbeciles and retards behind the steering wheel.

Having driven pedal to metal for long stretches along the ECR, its more of anticipation and the drivers reflexes what comes into play.

To me ECR will always remain the best road I have driven on .
+2. Completely agree.
Old 26th November 2008, 15:49   #33
BHPian

Talk of dangerous roads and most in Mumbai would qualify. That moonlike crater, that out of line divider block, that awol paver block, that concrete block which has gone out of alignment, all contribute towards making your drive absolutely nightmarish. I would especially like to nominate the Andheri(SEEPZ)-Powai and Andheri-Kurla stretches. gems, these

Talking of non-hilly sections on highways, I personally feel the Panvel-Wadkhal section on NH17 and a stretch just out of Wadkhal are quite dangerous.
The first is due to the heavy traffic, which includes lorreis, private buses, cabs, etc., not to mention dukkar rickshaws that stop suddenly leaving you in an extremely tight spot if you are coming up at some speed.
The second is a straight-as-an-arrow stretch, with one or two curves. The sheer banking on both sides can turn any mistake into an extremely costly one. Add to that people doing insane speeds and mindless overtaking and you have a template for disaster. Have seen head-ons, buses turning turtle, you name it. In fact, almost got taken out one night by a private bus that whipped out of its lane thinking our qualis was just a mere illusion. Thank God our driver had the presence of mind to veer off the road and simultaneously brake with all his might. The brake lost quite a bit of pressure after the evasive manuever.
Old 26th November 2008, 16:09   #34
Senior - BHPian

I think someone mentioned Thrissur-to Angamaly stretch of NH47 .
It is the most irritable drive in kerala.and the most important road too.even if this road is 4 laned ,no scope of peace. :(

There is surely ,a need for some good highway to made skipping Thrissur to connect to Palakkad and coimbatore from south especially from Kochi.

I hope ,some other road may be made from Kaladi(MC road) to connect to Thrissur leaving this deadly NH47 thing.that will save many MC road commuters who fall prey for accidents after entering NH47 this stretch especially ,those south of Kottayam who enter Angamaly and get confused and wont drive in good speeds inorder to cope up with the traffic(MC road is a lazy drive even in congested roads!).
Old 28th November 2008, 18:17   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
I think someone mentioned Thrissur-to Angamaly stretch of NH47 .
It is the most irritable drive in kerala.and the most important road too.even if this road is 4 laned ,no scope of peace. :(

There is surely ,a need for some good highway to made skipping Thrissur to connect to Palakkad and coimbatore from south especially from Kochi.

I hope ,some other road may be made from Kaladi(MC road) to connect to Thrissur leaving this deadly NH47 thing.that will save many MC road commuters who fall prey for accidents after entering NH47 this stretch especially ,those south of Kottayam who enter Angamaly and get confused and wont drive in good speeds inorder to cope up with the traffic(MC road is a lazy drive even in congested roads!).
Thrissur-to Angamaly : This route has high traffic too, anyone who uses this road - drive carefully. I think the entire stretch from Coimbatore to Cochin is not easy to drive. The Checkpost between Coimbatore and Palakad is a nightmare.

Ok. Another four roads in Tamilnadu.

Coimbatore - Salem/Tirupur - mainly near Avanishi.
Dindigual - Madurai (private buses and trucks)
Madurai - Theni
Old 28th November 2008, 18:45   #36
Senior - BHPian

I do agree that the bidadi-bangalore stretch is the most stressful. Cannot go at decent speeds and increased number of lorries and looks as though al are entering the city. Very stressful esp if your alone.
Old 28th November 2008, 19:31   #37
BHPian

NH-13 between Chitradurg and Solapur is infested with trucks all the way. Difficult to maintain decent speeds, overtaking is risky because of a 2-lane highway. Very stressful drive!
Old 28th November 2008, 20:09   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Most dangerous roads are as follows:
1 - In Kerala from Kottayam upto Kasargod - when I drove my LHD Fiat last year from Kottayam to Mumbai (refer to the post in the vintage car section), the bus drivers are just hell bent on KILLING you, I guess I will never know why, but they just want you dead. Thry push your car for just no reason. Period. I saw two of them talking. I had to laugh. You feel that they are quarreling, even when they are just talking. All of them has anger on their faces. I can only pity them. I think that they are absolutely INSANE. I have good friends from Kerala. Guys, can you please please educate me if I am wrong?
2 - Mumbai to Nasik - I have been driving on this stretch every week, sometimes twice a week, that too at night, alone, for close to 25 years. The number of friends I have lost to accidents on this road is not funny.
3 - Delhi Ambala Chandigarh - non-existent road discipline. Those Punjab Roadways buses are just horrendous.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 28th November 2008, 21:51   #39
Senior - BHPian

city buses are trouble makers in kerala.most of them(infact 99% in cities like kochi) are owned by Rowdies-goondas.
Old 28th November 2008, 22:11   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post

The ECR is a very well laid road with the scenic beauty of the Bay of Bengal giving you company all the way. Also the reflectors in the night are a beautiful sight

I always enjoy my drives through the ECR where I frequently try to hit the top speed on my car ! But I would always agree that driving through ECR is dangerous business!
Agree with anachronix. Something about this road that sets the adrenaline gushing.

I used to start from Pondy at 2:00 am, would switch off the stereo, headlights on high beam, foglights on.....the road reflectors and the barricade reflectors would create this sense of surrealism...the road's felt like a beautiful lighted passage and I'd be floating over it, in harmony with the screaming engine at 4500-6000 rpm....exactly 61-63 min later, at my place in Chennai.

addictively dangerous.
Old 28th November 2008, 22:24   #41
Rai
BANNED

Mangalore - Udupi Road (NH17)

Hello All,

I feel Mangalore-Udupi Road, which is NH17, is a DEADLY Road. The Lead-footed Express Bus Drivers, Drive like Formula Drivers. They come straight at you, to literally KILL you...
Old 30th November 2008, 10:20   #42
BHPian

Many of the Karnataka interior non-highway roads are dangerous to drive simply because of the narrow construction with deep shoulders in the sides. Earlier the Mangalore City - Airport road was like this, and one need to speedup to fear the opposite driver to get the way...!!! Don't know the present condition of this Road.

Other dangerous road section is in NH17, Payyanur (Kannur, Kerala), from Perumba river to College stop. Due to many accidents, the road was made straighten, but accidents increased even after...

Last edited by RajeshK : 30th November 2008 at 10:37.
Old 30th November 2008, 11:25   #43
Senior - BHPian

any roads in south india(hmm..may be upto bombay) which is not safe to travel especially in nights due to thugs/dacoits etc ?

Most Viewed