Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2008, 15:24   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Logan diesel is a 1.5L engine with 65bhp.
You are right. That makes it even better.
Old 8th December 2008, 16:23   #17
Senior - BHPian

Its just all nonsense. If they have worldwide license etyadi, how does Tata's India deal swing the balance that MSIL can't produce the DDiS. Blarghh.
Old 8th December 2008, 16:30   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
Also, the Suzuki-GM-Fiat link broken now? Now the link is GM-Suzuki. Fiat is nowhere in the scene. Probably they might be getting royalty, thats it.
Pls stick to the facts, though it has been repeated so many times on this forum, let me state it again, Multijet technology is jointly developed by Fiat & GM!
Suzuki is just manufacturing MJD engines under licence from Fiat.
Old 8th December 2008, 16:45   #19
BHPian

Unfortunately this Diesel Engine is currently doing duty in a numer of cars & will continue to do so even in the near future. The forthcoming Linea & Punto are also going to have the same engine.
I am not sure how the Logan Diesel Engines are going to fit in the Swift engine bay? From the looks of it, its going to be a tough task to fit-in a comparatively bigger engine.
Old 8th December 2008, 16:55   #20
BHPian

Have you heard this from a Suzuki authorised person? It could be that other dealers (non maruti) are trying to convert the delivery delays to their advantage by citing these kind of news.

If there is such a plan, the news about a MS/Renault tie up would've hit the papers by now. Also, even if they have to plonck in a new engine, it is alteast 4-6 months away for all the necessary tuning, road worthiness tests, certifications, launch.

Last edited by null : 8th December 2008 at 17:10. Reason: missed out my other point about the testing requirements
Old 8th December 2008, 16:56   #21
Senior - BHPian

IMO, Total Hogwash!
Maruti invested Rs.2500 crores for the Multijet engine plant.
They export a chunk of the engines coming out of this factory.
Old 8th December 2008, 19:50   #22
BHPian

Or are they trying to get it for the SX4 diesel? May be with a bit of tuning, it can produce 100 BHP?

BH.
Old 8th December 2008, 20:00   #23
BHPian

I don't think there is any truth to this rumor. Suzuki just started making DDiS on its own. If the engine supply is a bottleneck, it probably is for a future model, but then I still doubt that. Any one of the three car makers can use this engine which is exactly what they are doing.
Old 8th December 2008, 20:34   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Pls stick to the facts, though it has been repeated so many times on this forum, let me state it again, Multijet technology is jointly developed by Fiat & GM!
Suzuki is just manufacturing MJD engines under licence from Fiat.
I'm not so dumb to be here on T-bhp for so long, own a SwiftD and not know this fact.
If you correctly read what I have written:

Quote:
Guys, aren't Maruti manufacturing the engines themselves now?

Also, the Suzuki-GM-Fiat link broken now? Now the link is GM-Suzuki. Fiat is nowhere in the scene. Probably they might be getting royalty, thats it.
I know the engine was developed by Fiat-GM. They call it FGP(Fiat-GM Powertrain)

Suzuki got the engine from GM.

Maruti got the engine from Suzuki.

There is no direct connection between Fiat and Suzuki/Maruti.

Now the Fiat-GM link is broken.

Tell me which of the above fact do you find wrong?

Also, I don't think Fiat or Tata can stop Maruti or Suzuki from doing so, since GM also has license to the powertrain and GM-Suzuki link is still alive.

Last edited by blue_pulsar : 8th December 2008 at 20:35.
Old 8th December 2008, 20:43   #25
BANNED

Quote:
I'm not so dumb to be here on T-bhp for so long, own a SwiftD and not know this fact.
If you correctly read what I have written:

Also, I don't think Fiat or Tata can stop Maruti or Suzuki from doing so, since GM also has license to the powertrain and GM-Suzuki link is still alive.
But GM is to sell the remaining stake in Suzuki.

Refer: The Associated Press: GM to sell stake in Suzuki to raise cash

Last edited by Rehaan : 15th December 2008 at 00:37. Reason: Hi, please avoid quoting an entire large post. It inconveniences our small screen & mobile readers. Thanks.
Old 8th December 2008, 20:58   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

If Maruti loses the Multijet engine, predictably their Swift/Dzire will not be as attractive anymore to the younger customer base. The only advantage is that waiting period might come down due to this !!
Old 8th December 2008, 21:00   #27
Senior - BHPian

The engine was developed entirely by FIAT. GM or Suzuki was not involved in the engine development.
Later on the engine was allowed to be used by different manufacturers because Fiat got cash out of license. The next generation of Fiat engines will not be allowed to be used by other manufacturers.

The license Suzuki has IMO, they can put it in any car. Tata has no right to raise an issue here ( maybe because Vista is not a run away success ).

Now the Fiat and GM partnership is broken. Before that they developed the gamma platform on which the current opel Corsa ( the one that is sold in Europe ) is based and on which the Grande Punto ( along with Fiat Linea ) are based. But still Fiat and Suzuki are connected. Basically Suzuki wants the diesel motors from Fiat.
GM has sold the Suzuki stake, but they did mention about continuing the technical partnership. Suzuki supplies Splash to Opel and Vauxhall. Also Suzuki has got license to manufacture the 3.6 V6 motor for XL-7. But the Suzuki equator is from Nissan, so may be the engine from Renault is a possibility.

I believe that there is some problem due to positioning of Swift. Because Suzuki already sells Splash with DDis and in India also the DDis Splash will be on sale. So I think this move is specific to Swift.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 8th December 2008 at 21:03.
Old 8th December 2008, 21:07   #28
Senior - BHPian

its blah! maruti is not a fool to keep a lower priced variant to kill sales of its ddis engined cars that are fetching a HUGE profit due to the demand. its like one company selling a santro, wagonr, spark and estilo at one price
Old 9th December 2008, 01:51   #29
Senior - BHPian

Baseless rumours, I would say. Maruti is manufacturing this engine under license in it's won plant and I don't think they would have invested crores in such a plant, if the license would not hold good for as long as they wanted it to.
Old 9th December 2008, 08:43   #30
BHPian

AFAIK, they(Suzuki) do have license to produce (or only use??) the K9 diesel engine (same as in logan) from Renault. Internationally Jimny DDiS uses 86bhp motor from renault K9 family. I think Nissan is the missing link between two.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed