Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2008, 10:24   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
AFAIK, they(Suzuki) do have license to produce (or only use??) the K9 diesel engine (same as in logan) from Renault. Internationally Jimny DDiS uses 86bhp motor from renault K9 family. I think Nissan is the missing link between two.
Nissan is not the missing link. Nissan and Suzuki are connected till some time now. Suzuki used to supply MR Wagon ( our Zen Estilo ) to Nissan under badge engineering in Japan. Suzuki still supplies many cars with nissan badge in Japan and A-star will also be sold as Nissan Pixo. In the US market, Suzuki came out with Suzuki Equator, a rebadged Nissan Frontier.

So Suzuki may have eventually gained access to Renault motor. But in Swift I hope it comes out with 86 bhp ( if at all it comes out ) and lots of torque.
This can also give competetion to many other cars and this will include the Logan itself. So this move is unlikely.
Old 11th December 2008, 23:05   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomRider View Post

A sales person from Ford also told me the same.
Do you really take car salesmen seriously?
Old 11th December 2008, 23:19   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
Guys, aren't Maruti manufacturing the engines themselves now?

Also, the Suzuki-GM-Fiat link broken now? Now the link is GM-Suzuki. Fiat is nowhere in the scene.
There is no more GM-Suzuki, and it was GM who held the license to the engine along with FIAT:

To Raise Cash, GM Sells Its 3% Holding in Suzuki - WSJ.com

Suzuki buys back remaining 3% stake from GM - Corporate News - livemint.com

Therefore there could be some credibility to the story, though it is still based on a salesperson's word.

Does it mean we will see a diesel Aveo with the 1.3?

Last edited by Steeroid : 11th December 2008 at 23:22.
Old 11th December 2008, 23:56   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
But the Suzuki equator is from Nissan, so may be the engine from Renault is a possibility.

I believe that there is some problem due to positioning of Swift. Because Suzuki already sells Splash with DDis and in India also the DDis Splash will be on sale. So I think this move is specific to Swift.
Thats the closest logic there could be to this rumour/information. By which the DDiS investment as well as Logan engine usage by Maruti could be explained.

It actually makes no sense to have Splash and Swift slug it out against each other. However knowing Maruti, I wouldn't be surprised if they still did so.
Old 12th December 2008, 02:36   #35
Senior - BHPian

The Swift needs a new interior and a rattle free dash!. Given Indian traffic conditions, does performance really matter?. And, the rumors about a French sourced engine are really worrying!.
Old 12th December 2008, 08:53   #36
Senior - BHPian

It should not be a rumour. FIAT had challenged Maruti for putting the Diesel engine in the Dezire. Probably the licence was specificlly for the Swift. And that is what has led to the very long waiting periods or the Dezire. It could really be possible that Maruti is looking for a better option (in terms of F.E) and the easiest and best option for them is the Renault engine.

The extra F.E figures would really give the car the advantage in indian markets.

Possibly now its time for the normal swift with he Renault engine and a Swift Sport with the VGT DDIS
Old 12th December 2008, 09:11   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
It should not be a rumour. FIAT had challenged Maruti for putting the Diesel engine in the Dezire. Probably the licence was specificlly for the Swift. And that is what has led to the very long waiting periods or the Dezire. It could really be possible that Maruti is looking for a better option (in terms of F.E) and the easiest and best option for them is the Renault engine.

The extra F.E figures would really give the car the advantage in indian markets.

Possibly now its time for the normal swift with he Renault engine and a Swift Sport with the VGT DDIS

Suzuki is putting the same engine in Splash, so I believe they have license. If there was an issue, Fiat would have raised it much earlier than now. Renault is not the best. Its Peugeot. I love the 1560cc 110 bhp diesel. Bring it here and see the results. They also have 1.4 diesel. Also Suzuki should get the 1.6 petrol, but that is not issue. I cant see any FE gains without losing on power. 1248cc fiat engine is one of the best available.
I agree with you on Swift VGT but that looks to be reserved for SX4.
Old 12th December 2008, 15:44   #38
Senior - BHPian

Suzuki has been looking for a 1 litre diesel engine for cars like Alto and WagonR. It had approached Fiat for the purpose. Fiat didn't have the engine ready but offered to develop one from JTD/MJD 1.3, essentially by stripping away one cylinder. The engine was costing as much as 90-95% of the cost of 1.3. So Suzuki said no. It is still looking for a diesel unit smaller than 1.3. So may be they're talking to Renault now, although Renault too don't seem to have such a small diesel in its inventory.

This has been discussed earlier here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ar-2010-a.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
FIAT had challenged Maruti for putting the Diesel engine in the Dezire.
Could you kindly substantiate your statement?

Last edited by directinjection : 12th December 2008 at 15:45.
Old 14th December 2008, 19:18   #39
BANNED

Most of the manufacturers share parts across the world . many cars are rebadged and sold under different brand names .

licensing is a complex thing .suzuki might have licnesed the engine for swift or might have licensed the engine design for future models also . The license to manufacture the engine also varies and sometimes alterations ,refinements are also mentioned when an engine is licensed .

The thread is based on assumptions , and not facts as no one knows what are the licensing terms .

The best diesels come from peugeot and the ford ikon/fiesta has an engine from peugeot . The 1.4 ,1.6 are all from peugeot .
Old 14th December 2008, 22:54   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
Baseless rumours, I would say. Maruti is manufacturing this engine under license in it's won plant and I don't think they would have invested crores in such a plant, if the license would not hold good for as long as they wanted it to.
Its a totally baseless rumour. One cannot believe that Suzuki will be outdone as far as the Fiat MJD engines are concerned. Yes MSIL is investing heavily on a plant to make these engines.
The Fiat and Tata friendship is very recent, having nothing to do with equity in either company by either.Whereas GM owns a part of Fiat and also Suzuki. Though GM talks of disinvestments due to ill health!
Such rumours need to be dismissed and are not even worth a discussion. Its big news and had it been true it would have appeared in the press. I have not read about it in any prominent national daily.
The only possibility is of the Swift DZire 1.3 MJD getting the 1248 cc powerplant of the Fiat Linea which delivers 90.5 bhp.
Old 9th January 2011, 00:51   #41
Senior - BHPian

Re: Swift gets new engine from Renault?

Seems new Swift will be out by March 2011 and it will also get the Renault diesel engine. A friend working with sales told me.
Old 9th January 2011, 01:01   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ The new Swift is expected to carry over the same Engines from the current Swift. Why would Maruti shift to another Diesel engine when they have the brilliant Multijet(DDiS)? They already have a plant to locally manufacture the Engine here in India which gives them a cost advantage over manufacturers like Hyundai which still imports it's Diesel engines.
Old 9th January 2011, 01:26   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Seems new Swift will be out by March 2011 and it will also get the Renault diesel engine. A friend working with sales told me.
Let me add to the confusion.
When my Swift diesel developed engine trouble (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-warranty.html) I consulted one ex-Maruti senior mechanical engineer.He was in the audit department of the best selling dealer in India.He told me that Maruti was considering to use diesel engines from Volkswagen to power their cars,instead of DDiS.According to him,there were cars (DDiS) with engine problems.Most often due to the overfilling of oil at MAS and the various events following that.

The reasons for the move is said to be

1,Maruti cannot make enough diesel engines to meet the demand.
2,DDiS is not that trouble free.It seems Quadrajet and Multi jet are improved versions.DDiS can develop technical issues if not properly serviced (eg:overfilling of oil).

Note from Moderator: Since there is no reliable information on this topic, closing the thread to avoid unnecessary speculation. Thanks

Last edited by .anshuman : 9th January 2011 at 02:00. Reason: Closure note added. Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks