Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2005, 11:11   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak
No dude. The thing is the dealers offer you the option of registering the car at Thane to save on the octroi which would have to paid if the car was sold in Mumbai. Therefore you show that you are from Thane and are buying the car there and avoid paying the octroi on goods entering Mumbai. The RTO have figured this out and have started coming to housing societies in Mumbai and pull up owners who have registered their cars in Thane. The RTO is asking for a fine of 10 times the amount that would have been paid as octroi. Im not too sure about this but I think that the road tax in Mumbai is also higher(or is it the same)
Most of the dealers in Mumbai who offer Thane registration, show up dummy registration addresses. It's like the place you have your automobile registered is something that never exists.
The cops will harass you in Mumbai only if they find that your car is registered on a fake address, something that has never existed. If you can prove to them that the address exists and you own the place, they cannot bother you much. All my cars have been registered in Nasik and I have never been into any sorts of troubles in Mumbai.

Also Thane Registration is octroi free outside the actual Thane city limits. The basic rule in MH is that the octroi is waived if you register your car at a place without a Municipal Corporation.
Old 15th April 2005, 11:15   #17
BHPian

Geez! I drive a TN registered car now! guess its time i did something about it. Dont have a student's id too

any idea how much the road tax is like? But i dont think i'll be having this car for too long. in that case i think it makes sense to fill up diesel in hosur! i invriably go there twice a month to eat. so better fill it up once in a while and retain the bills...
Old 15th April 2005, 11:30   #18
Team-BHP Support

Are there any issues with having non-local but same state registration. I see that many Bangaloreans prefer only Bangalore registration cars, and I wonder why. Karnataka doesn't have octroi, no legal problem about non-local state vehicles.

On the positive side the cops don't hassle me at all. When I made some minor traffic mistakes, like being on the wrong turning lane etc., they have chosen to ignore me after staring at my license plates.
Old 15th April 2005, 20:16   #19
BHPian

my friend has an optra with a thane registration . the rto guys came over to his place and gave a notice of sorts to pay up.
Old 16th April 2005, 02:54   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
Are there any issues with having non-local but same state registration. I see that many Bangaloreans prefer only Bangalore registration cars, and I wonder why. Karnataka doesn't have octroi, no legal problem about non-local state vehicles.
Karnataka has this ridiculous rule that any vehicle that wishes to register in Karnataka has to pay lifetime tax all over again regardless of whether or not lifetime tax was paid in the state of origin.

Alongside this you have the rule that you need to re-register your car if you have been in another state (Karnataka or otherwise) for more than 6 months.

Therefore, if I want to re-register my car 'KA-05' or whatever, I have to pay up lifetime tax all over again. Lifetime tax in Karnataka is also higher than those in neighbouring states, which is why people try to avoid the re-registration in the first place. The coppers are pretty hard on anyone with a non-KA registration plate and I get pulled over quite frequently whenever I drive down to Bangalore.

I make sure I get a PUC certificate from a garage in Kerala before I drive into Karnataka, to prove that I am actually from outside the state. A friend of mine who lives permanently in B'lore almost got away with it, except for the fact that the registration book of his Esteem had a receipt from Mandovi Motors for routine service....
Old 16th April 2005, 03:02   #21
Senior - BHPian

checked up with my friend he indeed has a flat in some residential colony in thane and that is why he has registered it there.i guess he wont have any problem beacuse he has proof of residence and everything.

Rev
Old 16th April 2005, 03:58   #22
Senior - BHPian

Well if that is the case then how come the cops never caught my cousin who've been driving around in a Delhi registered car since 4 years now.And that has not happened even once.Although he has been caught for breaking other norms like dark glasses,exhaust etc but never questioned about the registration part.Pretty amusing!!

X
Old 16th April 2005, 04:04   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Machine
Well if that is the case then how come the cops never caught my cousin who've been driving around in a Delhi registered car since 4 years now.And that has not happened even once.Although he has been caught for breaking other norms like dark glasses,exhaust etc but never questioned about the registration part.Pretty amusing!!

X
Like you said, they ARE cops...
Old 16th April 2005, 15:44   #24
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak
I guess they have to be a bit chilled cos Delhi is quite small and neighbouring states include Delhi's suburbs (NCR).
but somehow Delhi is too big! It has more cars than all the other 3 metros combined together!. I sometimes endup driving more than 80kms inside delhi i.e. Point A to Point B and back! (not circling around)

If the cops even think of checking the cars on road registered outside delhi.... there would be massive traffic jams! and cops won't get anything.
Old 17th April 2005, 00:16   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK
but somehow Delhi is too big! It has more cars than all the other 3 metros combined together!.

Rightly said SLK and not to forget those wide roads .
Old 17th April 2005, 16:26   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer
Rightly said SLK and not to forget those wide roads .
Which incidentally are built using up the money flowing in from the rest of the country. LOL
Old 18th April 2005, 11:14   #27
BHPian

[quote=Harrie]Geez! I drive a TN registered car now! guess its time i did something about it. QUOTE]

Well, if you are going to retain the car for some time, it is anyway advisable to change it to a KA registration.. Whenever there are problems between K'taka & TN (Cauvery water, Rajkumar kidnapping, etc..) & people take to the streets, it is the TN registered cars which are attacked first.. I saw dozens of them during the last riots (kidnapping)..
Old 18th April 2005, 11:53   #28
BHPian

I have an AP registered vehicle. The law in Karanataka says that you have to pay lifetime tax regardless of if you paid that in the state of origin or not. This has to paid within 30 days of shift. You also have to re-register within 6 months of the shift. The rate of life time tax is among the highest in Karnataka.

I have paid the LTT of 19K for 2 year old Indica. I did not re-register.

The cops do not trouble me. I steer clear of the RTO.

I have managed to do without the last 2 years.

Time for me to get rid of the vehicle. Keeping my fingers crossed till then.
Old 18th April 2005, 12:00   #29
Team-BHP Support

But what about same state registration car from a different RTO? Mine is a Karnataka registration car and I see Bangalore people shying away from it just because it is a non-Bangalore registration. There is no new road tax to be paid. So what is the reason...?
Old 18th April 2005, 12:14   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
But what about same state registration car from a different RTO? Mine is a Karnataka registration car and I see Bangalore people shying away from it just because it is a non-Bangalore registration. There is no new road tax to be paid. So what is the reason...?
they are hesitant because it is not from the city...people have the mental block that "its from outside so who knows what could be the condition"
nothing else...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks