Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2008, 14:31   #46
BHPian

how could you miss logan, bolero, estilo and wagon-r??
Infact i'm not a big fan of any maruti suzuki designs, all their designs seems disproportionate and confusing to me (no offence meant to maruti suzuki owners)
the only design i ever liked was maurti esteem which was a very good looking car in its time. Old Zen was decent looking as well

Last edited by ashish22 : 17th December 2008 at 14:32.
Old 17th December 2008, 14:58   #47
Senior - BHPian

My List

Nice thread here.. Here is my list..

Un appealing designs
1. Hindustan Ambassador
2. Front design of Fabia [a potential next car]
3. Mahinda Renault Logan
4. Tata Sumo
5. Maruti Suzuki Zen Estilo
6. Ford Ikon [yes, very plain]

Outright Weird and Ugly
1. Swift Dzire

There are other cars I haven't seen/don't know of/don't care about/ones I can live with, so this is all there is to my list [my opinion, don't intend to offend any owners of vehicles in this list]...

Last edited by k_ajay : 17th December 2008 at 14:58. Reason: adding more info.
Old 17th December 2008, 15:21   #48
Senior - BHPian

OT:
Methinks there should be a "Best Looking Cars on Indian Roads" thread to counter this one
Or does one already exist?
Old 17th December 2008, 15:23   #49
Senior - BHPian

Ugliest I have seen on Indian roads in last 20+ years of my existance is Fiat UNO!!!

Among the contemporary ones WagonR takes the crown, closely followed by NHC, Indigo, Fusion & Camry (in that order)
Old 17th December 2008, 15:27   #50
BHPian

New Merc SL would be on my list from number 1 to number 10. What have they done to the old SL, which was such a graceful car. Mercedes suceeded in transforming a design classic into an eyesore.
But as GTO pointed out, Outgoing NHC wins the award for transformation from a butterfly to a caterpillar, hands down.
Old 17th December 2008, 15:33   #51
BHPian

Alright from the new ones,

10. New facelifted Ford Ikon
9. A-star
8. Spark
7. DZire
6. Vista
5. New Accord
4. Sumo Grande
3. Indigo CS
2. Logan
1. SX4
Old 17th December 2008, 17:32   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zibby View Post
i personally think Mercedes C Class looks good, Classic - i mean by that no aggressive looks.
1.Sonalika Rhino RX
2.Maruti Suzuki Dzire
3.Maruti Suzuki A-star
4.Maruti Suzuki Zen estilo
5.Tata Indigo

Spot on!

I will add Grande,Accent and Logan to your list!
Old 17th December 2008, 20:44   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
Where did you all left following cars in the list

2. Ford Fusion: It is actually (Con)fusion for ford in which category they put this car SUV, MUV, Passenger cars ?.

3. Indigo Marina: How many of you actually want to buy this car.
It is a fusion of many concepts/stereotypes and that's why the name. Simple. And yet we try to fit it in to poupalr stereotypes

Accordning to me Fusion is one of the handsome vehicle around and Marina is the best looking variant of Indigo/Indica family.

But then, looks are subjective
Old 19th December 2008, 18:40   #54
Senior - BHPian

Few cars defined how ugly can be beautiful Wagon R ,Santro and outgoing NHC are best examples.
How come Santro is missed out from this list ? First version being ugliest but the newer ones are no better.
Old 19th December 2008, 19:24   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Few cars defined how ugly can be beautiful Wagon R ,Santro and outgoing NHC are best examples.
How come Santro is missed out from this list ? First version being ugliest but the newer ones are no better.
Problem with NHC was that it was based on a monovolume hatchback (Fits) and the additon of a boot did not get well intergated, resulting in a slightly unconventional look. But other then this aspect, I dont know if it can be called ugly. I know many find it ugly. Incidentally I must be one of those few people who found it to be radical but extrelemly futuristic lookibng design. Styling was one of the factor why I went for NHC at that time .
I wonder, if NHC was outright ugly, what is so great about ANHC. Yes the boot is better inetrated with the rest of the body and flows along with the overall theme, but in many ways, it is not too different from NHC. Both are kind of cab-forword designs, both have very steep almost monovolume type of windscreen-nose profile etc.
Old 19th December 2008, 19:54   #56
BHPian

My least liked designs would be:
10) Maruti Zen Estilo
- The front end has to be one of the most unattractive features in any car in a long time.
9) Hyundai Santro (Gen 1)
- Still cant get over the toothy grill and the awkward eye shaped headlights.
8) Renault Logan
- Doesnt do justice to the Renault logo on the car. V disappointing straight lines.
7) Maruti Wagon R
- Just plain ugly.
6) New Honda City (Gen1)
- Enough said - thank God its phased out.
5) Toyota Innova
- Very long and boring profile, guess it was function over design.
4) Tata Indigo
- Boot integration could be better - case in point Ford Ikon (Gen 1)
3) Hyundai Sonata (Gen1)
- The Merc inspired front and Jag rear screamt "wannabe"
2) Maruti Zen Classic
- Completely unwanted retro look to one of Maruti's best design (Jellybean look)
1) Maruti Swift Dzire
- An excuse of a boot which makes you look away everytime it flashes its rear.
Old 19th December 2008, 23:30   #57
Senior - BHPian

My List (with no offence to any car owners) -
1.- Wagon R - Because when i see it and sit in it i feel like being trapped in a BOX!
2.- Estilo - Arghhh.. Everyone knows why!
3.- Logan- What a waste of look for otherwise a nice car.
4.- Dzire - Why Maruti had to do this to a good looking swift is beyond me.
5.- A Star and soon to be launched Ritz - Maruti designers need a break - O Lord please give them the break!
6.- Spark - Matiz reborned and died as well.
7.- Magnum- Why they have to keep Optra back look and SRV front look for this brilliant sedan :(
8.- Verna- I love the engine and i hate the looks.
9.- Sumo grande - It was better to make a Tata 407 redesigned then making this.
10- Santro - ugly and blend look.
Old 20th December 2008, 13:49   #58
Senior - BHPian

I would definitely add the Swift DeZire at the very top of the list. That thing is hideous. The SX-4 looks like a million bucks in comparison. Also the Logan is pretty ugly, or at least I used to think so. Now its boxy, square-cut looks have kind of become common-place with the numbers of them on the road. The thing that offends me with the Logan more than the styling is that it's a Dacia with all the pluses and minuses that brings, and they are trying to hoodwink the Indian public with a Renault badge. I just hate that.

I don't like the look of the new Accord at all, but then I didn't really like the look of the previous one either. The first gen Indian Accord looked the nicest (it's all relative though) to my eyes. The new Corolla is quite hideous as well. As for the new C class, I think it looks fine. The Indica used to be quite nicely styled till they started flaring the wheel arches and filling them with toothpicks for tyres. As for the Indigo (and most other hatch-derived sedans for that matter) the front and rear just don't blend. There's no continuity in the lines from the front and side to the back and I don't like that.

So called SUVs (Mahindra, Tata, whatever) I don't even look at, so no opinion there, except that when the Qualis first launched it made me wanna puke with it's dinky car body-work to wheel proportions. Still, horses for courses, and the sales figures testify that looks come a very distant second to good value in this country.

Last edited by kbk_75 : 20th December 2008 at 13:59.
Old 20th December 2008, 14:49   #59
Senior - BHPian

The ugliest look, IMO, is a close fight between Swift DZire and TATA Indigo. DZire still looks decent from side and front. But Indigo is an all round eyesore. I feel like vomiting (no offense to any Indigo owners) every time i see one, specially the non-CS Indigo. I cant even imagine how an Indigo Vista look like. Yuck!

Amongst the hatches, i don't particularly like the looks of i10, and Zen Estilo.

Last edited by DCEite : 20th December 2008 at 14:53.
Old 20th December 2008, 15:07   #60
BHPian

List INNOVA here and I will have the ugliest garage.

Well, looks are important, but there are many more factors considered while buying a car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks