Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2008, 15:43   #16
BHPian

This car will definitely not sell in the same price bracket as the i10's or the Vistas of the world. Toyota will price this against the Fabia, i20, GP and the likes of cars which are in the 7+ lacs segement. I am sure this car is being brought in to counter the Honda Jazz which will also be in the same price bracket.
Old 15th December 2008, 16:03   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Just came across this:
"All versions get ABS, four airbags and a CD playing stereo (complete with auxiliary input for an MP3 player) - but the basic model has wind-up windows and no central locking. Equipment gets better further up the range - although at prices that put the Aygo into contention with full-sized superminis."
Source:Toyota Aygo road test, specification - Verdict On Cars
Attached Images

Old 15th December 2008, 16:16   #18
BHPian

If they price it propery, In the visinity of Swift or i10, it can attract a lot of volume for Toyota
Old 15th December 2008, 16:37   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
Boss, toyota has put on hold on all the capital investments in India and China. (Source: Today's TOI). Hoping this is out of their agenda...Otherwise, we can expcet a delay in launch program.
This article says their output plans have been cut but investment plan in on track.

Toyota cuts India output by 30%; no change in investment plan- Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times

So the news of Aygo launching may still be true. Toyota may have learnt it late to have a stack from A segment to D Segments.

Regards
Old 15th December 2008, 17:16   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by biju_kp View Post
If they price it propery, In the visinity of Swift or i10, it can attract a lot of volume for Toyota
Toyota would never want to become a volume player, in India at least. They have always enjoyed being a niche & premium brand out of reach for the common car buyer and they would want to remain that way.
The same policy has been already followed by Skoda (Fabia), Ford (Fusion), Hyundai (i20) & surprisingly Fiat (GP & Bravo). Honestly how many on the forum feel that the Fabia is VFM?
If Toyota makes me eat my words, I will definitely be one happy man.
Old 15th December 2008, 17:30   #21
Team-BHP Support

Some of the inherent disadvantages I see in this car, if launched in India, are
1. For the price it will be available it will most probably be deemed as "less car per car". For the premium pricing that one will probably pay this car may just go the way some of the other illuminaries have gone.

2. For a car considered to be "premium" some may find the interiors spartan by Indian standard. Indians somehow better relate to elaborate fascia (speedo console), locked glove boxes etc. This car has none. Why, even the mirrors look like internally adjustable and not the electrically operated type that even an Estillo VX has.

3. Look at those contoured exteriors. In a shunt, which is just so common in this country, you may be looking up to a huge bill... those panels will have to be replaced. I do not think you can ever beat those curvy panels back to the same shape ever.
Old 15th December 2008, 17:32   #22
Senior - BHPian

looks good, ladies for sure will love it for all its curves!!
Old 15th December 2008, 17:41   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
3. Look at those contoured exteriors. In a shunt, which is just so common in this country, you may be looking up to a huge bill... those panels will have to be replaced. I do not think you can ever beat those curvy panels back to the same shape ever.
A caress from the mastercraftsmen in our country and they'll be back to original splendour!
Those are self-healing organic panels, LOL!!
Old 15th December 2008, 17:50   #24
BHPian

If they price it competitively, I think it'll be a sure success, considering the Toyota build quality and ***. But it doesn't seem to be a good contender to stand against the Honda Jazz. Anyway it looks really cute. I feel that The Yaris dash doesn't look its class, with the speedo etc in the center console. But the Aygo's cabin looks much better.
Old 15th December 2008, 17:53   #25
BHPian

I feel that Toyota cannot demand premium pricing for this car, I have seen both the Citroen C1 (cousin of the Aygo) and the Yaris hatch. The Yaris is probably a little bit bigger than the Swift (in interior space) and the C1 was a little better than the Alto.

The market in Europe for the Toyota Aygo/Citroen C1/Peugeot 107 is more or less meant for singles/older people who live alone where the entire backseat could be used for shopping bags. In India I think we do require the backseat to be able to take 3 passengers despite the very intimate travelling experience that can result.

If Toyota can price it like the A-Star and get the diesel unit from Europe, it will sell well.
Old 15th December 2008, 17:54   #26
BHPian

I like the interiors. Not a fan of cars, but I think it will give good competition to hyundai i10/20 and maruti A-star.
Toyota needs to place it properly in the market.
Old 15th December 2008, 18:08   #27
BHPian

Toyota could do serious damage to maruti. But do they have a service network that can judiciously meet the mass demand for such a car.
Old 15th December 2008, 18:47   #28
BHPian

I seriously doubt Toyota can price it closer to a Fabia or a Jazz. The Jazz is a proper B segment competitor to the likes Fiat Grande Punto, Ford Fiesta and Hyundai i20. The Aygo competes with the likes of Chevrolet Matiz in UK.
In fact the hatch door doesnt even have a frame and is all plastic.
Old 15th December 2008, 20:29   #29
Senior - BHPian

The Aygo is Peugeot 107 and Citroen C1.

When I heard that Toyota is coming with a car based on present Yaris, I knew that Yaris is not coming till 2010 when the expected new generation will be out.

This car is great but cannot move over the Wagon R/Santro/A-star segment and pricing must be in accordance with these cars. Try placing it near Swift and it will be a failure.

Not the best thing Toyota could do. Too small a car in country where these " city cars " of developed markets are regularly used as family haulers.
Diesel in this car can change the fortune of Toyota in India.
But not without it as we already now have more than enough competitors.
Old 15th December 2008, 21:12   #30
BHPian

Good news indeed if Toyota really brings this one. Price it against the A Star and the brass at Maruti will indeed start having sleepless nights. Any higher wont give Toyota the volumes it has been long talking about. I am sure they know this well after having 'studied' our market for so long.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks