Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2009, 21:17   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
The BMW 7 was launched at the Four Seasons hotel on the 31st. The mean looking seven was parked, covered in a translucent car cover with the halo lights on, peering through the cover.

Parked next to it were, what took my breath away. Imported just for the unveiling were three gleaming cars straight from the BMW museum. A lovely gleaming dark blue 502, V-8. A cute pistachio green and white Isetta with a cane picnic basket perched o its boot and the bomb looking Tangerine orange 200tii.

The ivory interiors were outstanding and the four spoked, classic Porsche-esq steering wheel.

Attachment 96645

The ivory door lock.

Attachment 96646

The Isetta

Attachment 96647

The 200tii

Attachment 96648

Sorry thats all the pics i could take from my cell as it konked out after the last pic.

Prior to the unveiling there was a lovely fashion show which took you from the 30's to the present era. Very well done by Suneet Verma. The best of drinks and food was served.

Also on display alongside was the X-6. This looks like a direct launch against the Cayenne but SUVs never interested me if they are not pure Buch!!
That orange 2002Tii was an absolute knock-out! I'd LOVE to have it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Looks like they finally got it right with the 7.

My only complaint is the bland looking taillamp. Its just a large expanse of red. They could have done a white-red LED combo like the 5 series. Aftermarket..knock-knock.
It actually looks pretty good when it's dark and the lights are on, in fact quite 5 series-esque.
Old 2nd February 2009, 21:28   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Looks like they finally got it right with the 7.

My only complaint is the bland looking taillamp. Its just a large expanse of red. They could have done a white-red LED combo like the 5 series. Aftermarket..knock-knock.
I agree, white turn light would improve the rear end big time.
But like always, such things are left for facelifts. The new facelifted 3 suffers the same problem even tho it's probably the last facelift this model would get.
Old 2nd February 2009, 21:35   #48
Team-BHP Support

If I am right that 2002 Ti was recently manufactured!. A group of technicians got together and constructed one out of new spares
Old 2nd February 2009, 22:16   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

ajmat- I would think so too because the car looked too good to be decades old no matter how well you maintain it.
Old 2nd February 2009, 22:39   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk_75 View Post
It actually looks pretty good when it's dark and the lights are on, in fact quite 5 series-esque.
sure the lines look good, but what about daytime..just a big blob of red!!
Old 3rd February 2009, 10:06   #51
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Looks like someone couldn't wait to get his hands on the 7. He even drove off with a temp number! Spotted last evening at Worli. Man, I am so smitten by the new 7. The massive wheels & tyres stand out.

BMW launches the F01 7-Series in India-moto_0394.jpg

BMW launches the F01 7-Series in India-moto_0395.jpg

Quote:
Dude, I totally disagree with your statement. If you are going to say that Merc has copied the raised boot lid design from BMW, then I humbly state that its wrong.
Good point. Yes, it was the Maybach. But if you look closely at the new S, it has the droopy butt of the Maybach as well as the raised boot lid of the 7. Almost like a fusion of the 7 & the Maybach.
Old 3rd February 2009, 12:23   #52
Senior - BHPian

Guys, take a close look at the two rear pics of the new 7 that GTO posted. If you notice there are two pipes within each of the exhaust tail pipes. The inner ones are shut.

There is a valve in the inner pipes that opens pneumatically when the engine goes higher in the rev band, thereby reducing back-pressure and allowing full power to be produced. Lower in the rev band the valves remain shut, thereby lowering exhaust sound. How cool is that?!

I really do like the look of the new car from the rear, it definitely reminds me of a grown-up 5!

Last edited by kbk_75 : 3rd February 2009 at 12:25.
kbk_75 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2009, 13:27   #53
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
There is a valve in the inner pipes that opens pneumatically when the engine goes higher in the rev band, thereby reducing back-pressure and allowing full power to be produced. Lower in the rev band the valves remain shut, thereby lowering exhaust sound. How cool is that?!
Cool feature. Butttttttttttttt the way that I see it :

- Utterly pointless.
- Yet another thing that could break down a coupla years down the line
- Just another one of the many differentiations / justifications for paying the premium $$$

This car was the 750, not like it needs any more power (atleast useable). Kbk, go through this thread, especially the discussion between me & Ajmat : Linky to Ajmats post.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd February 2009 at 13:28.
Old 3rd February 2009, 13:28   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Nice !! Trust BMW to think of such innovations.
The right side dual exhausts are not visible in this pic. Does it have quad exhausts ?

@GTO: I don't think it is pointless. Lowering engine notes in traffic and getting the beasty sound out when you go full monty is the best of both worlds.

Last edited by Sahil : 3rd February 2009 at 13:30.
Old 3rd February 2009, 13:42   #55
Senior - BHPian

GTO, as I understand it the valve opens pneumatically, not by an electronic actuator, so hopefully it won't be one more thing that is prone to gremlins!
Old 3rd February 2009, 14:20   #56
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
ajmat- I would think so too because the car looked too good to be decades old no matter how well you maintain it.
Yep, I knew I had seen something before on this. More here

BMW Magazine - BMW News : Mission accomplished – the BMW 2002 tii classic celebrates birthday and resurrection
Old 3rd February 2009, 15:05   #57
Senior - BHPian

The exhaust valve feature is not something new, it is present right from the beginning of the E65.The sole reason is to reduce the noise emission levels at idling and it opens up by vacuum at higher speeds.The F02 750 does have Quad exhausts! In the earlier 7 er the exhaust was not visible so did not attract attention.
Old 3rd February 2009, 20:31   #58
Senior - BHPian

I suppose the versions shown in the pictures are the Li variants. but who would buy a 7 series in the normal "i" version ? would that be as long as a 5 series ?

also is the S class also available in 2 wheelbase options ?
Old 3rd February 2009, 21:07   #59
Senior - BHPian

Not in India it's not, only Li version of new 7 being offered.
Old 3rd February 2009, 23:40   #60
BHPian

the new 7 is simply PHENOMENAL!!! it's amazing....!!!!! :O &*#$@%!!! when do i start to earn??!!!! :(

Most Viewed