Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What petrol C segment sedan would you buy?
Honda City 1.5 iVtec 113 55.39%
Fiat Linea 1.4 Fire 91 44.61%
Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2009, 15:26   #976
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
And the Fiesta 1.6 with the biggest of the engines gives even better mileage. But what would that prove?
Frankly my dear, i dont give a damn about FE. I just want my next car to be faster than my current car.
Old 12th October 2009, 15:26   #977
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
And the Fiesta 1.6 with the biggest of the engines gives even better mileage. But what would that prove?
It will mean Torque curve and gearing has lots to do with FE, more than actual bhp!
Old 12th October 2009, 15:27   #978
BHPian

I drive an Esteem MPFI (85 Bhp) and drive fairly quick. (Have done a 160kph on my esteem so she's quite capable)
I was driving mine on a bumpy road coming from dombivli. I was overtaken by a Linea and inspite of my trying to keep up (in traffic & open road) was unable to catch the dude. So In my experience that car can go quick even over not so friendly roads.
(I was going at around 80 - 110)
Never tried catching up with a City but Linea makes a lot sense at 2Lacs less. Besides I have been told that it is a better handler at high speeds.(Never driven both Linea or the City, Though I have driven the Punto and loved the diesel more.)

The starting trouble can be something very trivial so cannot be held against the whole product. The A*S*S is improving and more the numbers they sell the better they'll get.
The resale value whould be a dampner though, with the city scoring big time.
Else with the 1.6 multijet a possibility I dont think performance will be an issue for long.
@amitoj why do you have to bash up Linea to make the City to look good. City is a brilliant car.
Old 12th October 2009, 15:29   #979
BHPian

@ pragmites
Awesome post. An Eyeopener for me. I only knew about falling chromes till now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
But the speed with which they resolved the issue shows a certain amount of professionalism.
Give the dealer a credit huh.
Now hope you went through the thread "Honda Accord display ruined by a serv centre- sent a mail to Honda one two one and no reply for a week, that too for a corporate guy".

Lets talk of only Linea and City here- Accords and Civics have had both good and bad experiences

Quote:
Just go back one page on this thread itself. you will come across a linea not starting in second week itself.
Thats a hearsay experience sir. I thought we at team bhp included only what happened to a "member's car". I still remember people asking a member for proof that his 2009 Superb had broken down in the middle of road.

Quote:
Linea is a compromise for me because for me engine is the most important part of a car, not gizmos.
ME is what matters. Hope you casted your vote according to what "ME" likes.
Sure the Ohc will serve you for 5-6 years more until you get a car which has good engine and an equally good handling. Till then nest of luck.
Old 12th October 2009, 15:30   #980
Senior - BHPian

Just got off the phone with my friend. The car is now at the service centre. The service guys are trying to diagnose the problem. They have no clue at the moment. More when I get an update.
Old 12th October 2009, 15:33   #981
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick View Post
@amitoj why do you have to bash up Linea to make the City to look good. City is a brilliant car.
Ohho baba it all started when i mentioned about another linea owner saying that he needed to plan a lot for overtaking.

I have no intention to bash anything (specially not a car)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Just got off the phone with my friend. The car is now at the service centre. The service guys are trying to diagnose the problem. They have no clue at the moment. More when I get an update.
There goes the once a year service thingy.

Last edited by amitoj : 12th October 2009 at 15:37.
Old 12th October 2009, 15:38   #982
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilkalvani View Post
Since the comparison is between Petrol variants, The City would be my choice, hands down. My driving is 95% city driving in traffic where you don't even reach 80 forget 180. Very rarely do you get to cross even 120kmph, even at night. Plus the light steering, easy manouvreability & smooth engine works for me. If you drive a lot in the City, you need a car which can be driven with ease, good turning radius, etc. After all, how many of us regularly drive above 150kmph, for a few seconds maybe? Even on the Expressway, due to the absence of Tarmac, we avoid going over 130-140, infact maintain 120kmph. With good A.S.S., performance, reliability, repeatability by users and their trust in Product City for over 10 years there is no other option other than the City according to my liking. We have to wait and watch how Fiat resurrects their image & get us more powerful engines in the future. With the positive feedback given by users on this forum, i hope they maintain a good share of the market in the years to come. Though a tough task, its not impossible.
Very good points there. To me Honda City or Fiesta would make an excellent midsize city sedan.
Old 12th October 2009, 15:41   #983
Senior - BHPian

Voted for the Honda City amongst the choices. Though I still feel my nearly 5 year old Petra is better than the two. The Fiesta should have been present as well.
Old 12th October 2009, 15:44   #984
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Whitefield Honda (or was it Dakshin?) replaced a customer's car when it got damaged during floods. Ofcourse, the car was parked at their premises. But the speed with which they resolved the issue shows a certain amount of professionalism.
Skoda also replaced a new Laura which is documented on the forum itself. The car was parked at the dealership and hence it is dealerships responsibility if anything goes wrong.

Quote:
Just go back one page on this thread itself. you will come across a linea not starting in second week itself.
We still don't know the reason for it not starting. It might even turn out to be as trivial as no petrol.

Quote:
ANHC with a bigger engine gives same mileage as Linea.
Linea inspite of being 150 kgs heaviers gives the same mileage.

Quote:
Linea is a compromise for me because for me engine is the most important part of a car, not gizmos.
I respect your choice but making deriding comments, hypocritical sarcastic statements when you dont own a particular model is uncalled for.
Old 12th October 2009, 15:46   #985
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick View Post
I drive an Esteem MPFI (85 Bhp) and drive fairly quick. (Have done a 160kph on my esteem so she's quite capable)
I was driving mine on a bumpy road coming from dombivli. I was overtaken by a Linea and inspite of my trying to keep up (in traffic & open road) was unable to catch the dude. So In my experience that car can go quick even over not so friendly roads.
(I was going at around 80 - 110)
Never tried catching up with a City but Linea makes a lot sense at 2Lacs less. Besides I have been told that it is a better handler at high speeds.(Never driven both Linea or the City, Though I have driven the Punto and loved the diesel more.)
Do you mean that a Linea overtook an MPFI 85BHP Esteem? Linea is faster than Esteem ? Slick, no offense mate but one need to be bad driver to let that happen.
Car per car Esteem stand no chance to Linea, but its definitely not slower to Linea.
Old 12th October 2009, 15:53   #986
BHPian

Quote:
Ohho baba it all started when i mentioned about another linea owner saying that he needed to plan a lot for overtaking.

There goes the once a year service thingy.
Oh! I got it wrong, My bad.

The honda city is indeed a master peice, It has taken the sedan segment to another level.
Like GTO has said in his earlier post - the City exploits all the handling capabilities of the car while the linea is a bit conservative on the power front.
Hopefully the 1.6 or 1.9 will take care of that - considering they price it similarly and keep improving the service.

Indians are very price concious, if Fiat gets the brand image in place (Known for decent A*S*S) It will be tough competition for Honda who are quite dependent on the city (now that jazz has failed in generating numbers).

Though my heart is with linea if I have 10 lacs to spare I'll go for the City but if I am money concious then Linea is a great deal as well.

OT: I am already saving for the bigger diesels- I loved the punto & swift diesel feel.

@Ajay - It read Bumpy roads and traffic and the dude was gunning it. I generally dont try and race in the esteem but I wanted to take a look at the linea.
An esteem can go only so quick over bumpy roads.
The way you said bad driver hurt my ego though, he he he :-)

Last edited by Slick : 12th October 2009 at 15:57.
Old 12th October 2009, 15:55   #987
BHPian

Quote:
Look up achinthg's ownership thread. The comparison with Santro is from there.

Quote:
Whitefield Honda (or was it Dakshin?) replaced a customer's car when it got damaged during floods. Ofcourse, the car was parked at their premises. But the speed with which they resolved the issue shows a certain amount of professionalism.
Exception and I wish all dealers ( Honda or others) would emulate this. See the srories on Link Honda, Arya Honda, Linkway, Deccan Honda

Quote:
Saw it. Eagerly waiting to find the reason.

Quote:
ANHC with a bigger engine gives same mileage as Linea
And Linea which is more solidly built gives the same mileage

By the same token, Honda is a compromise for others who like ride/handling/gizmos/Italian styling.

Quote:
@ pragmites
Awesome post. An Eyeopener for me. I only knew about falling chromes till now.
The falling chromes are the Linea niggles. These are Honda niggles.
Old 12th October 2009, 16:03   #988
BHPian

Quote:
I suggest Honda fans to head to Fiat showroom and try a test drives and Fiat guys to head to the closest Honda showrooms. Take a test drive, its free and then debate. Mine is better than yours, is really not helping the thread.
Yes, Honda fans can check the ride and handling, and power of the Linea with a test drive. Test driving ANHC is not required because nobody is questioning the ANHC engine and test driving ANHC will not make alloys/ACC/Blue and Me/Follow-me home headlights, CD player appear
Old 12th October 2009, 16:07   #989
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj2402 View Post
Thats a hearsay experience sir. I thought we at team bhp included only what happened to a "member's car".
We also respect the person's integrity. Please look who posted it

Quote:
Too late...Write Linea is faster than everything else 1000 times or you are doomed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay_J View Post
Do you mean that a Linea overtook an MPFI 85BHP Esteem? Linea is faster than Esteem ?
Quite possible on a bad road. Esteem's suspension is no match for Linea's, and a sane drive won't go beyond a point on a road rash, just to prove a point.
Old 12th October 2009, 16:08   #990
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Skoda also replaced a new Laura which is documented on the forum itself. The car was parked at the dealership and hence it is dealerships responsibility if anything goes wrong.
LOL. You and i both know where skoda stands in its after sales support w.r.t. any other car company in India. So, lets be reasonable. alrite?

Quote:
We still don't know the reason for it not starting. It might even turn out to be as trivial as no petrol.
Ofcourse. You'd think thats the first thing FIAT service guys would check for after hooking the car up for diagnosis! For FIAT's sake, i hope it doesnt turn out to be no petrol!! It would be pretty shameful for FIAT if it took their engineers one whole day to find that as the root problem!

Quote:
Linea inspite of being 150 kgs heaviers gives the same mileage.

I respect your choice but making deriding comments, hypocritical sarcastic statements when you dont own a particular model is uncalled for.
I didnt make any deriding comments. Whatever i said was based on Linea owners' comments. Its amazing how the fiat fanboys resort to namecalling once fiat's shortcomings are pointed out by someone else! Its like, "Since i own a fiat, only i can talk about its shortcomings". Ridiculous, i say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
Too late...Write Linea is faster than everything else 1000 times or you are doomed
hahahaha. thats a good one.

Last edited by amitoj : 12th October 2009 at 16:12.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks