Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What petrol C segment sedan would you buy?
Honda City 1.5 iVtec 113 55.39%
Fiat Linea 1.4 Fire 91 44.61%
Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2013, 11:26   #1006
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda City v Fiat Linea

I was in this dilemma about 2 years ago. I test drove both and decided in favour of City as:
- engine was more responsive (no TJet in Linea back then).
- peace of mind.

I value peace of mind very highly so even today it would be City. Fiat is still trying to get their act together while I won't touch a VW group car because of the horror stories in this forum.
Old 2nd May 2013, 11:42   #1007
BHPian

I have driven my City for about 15k kms now so I know the car a lot better than the Linea with which my only experience has been a short Test drive. So I would desist from rating the Linea based on a 5km TD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post

1. Fit/finish -

City, say about 7

2. Current after sales support quality in Pune, or like cities.

Honda service is way better any day, would rate it 10 based on my personal experience

3. Highway handling,ride and drive train performance.

Linea for the first two and the vtec for the latter. Would rate it a high 8

4. AC effectiveness.

Have to say, my Liva Diesel cools better than my City

5. OE sound system quality.

The city OE is excellent and would satisfy 'most' of us, rate it at 7

6. Usable boot space.

10 for the city, say no more

7. Engine performance - drivability in town.

Diesels have more torque so the Linea wins this one for sure

8. Turning circle.

City for sure. Rated 8

9. Front seat comfort.

Not really satisfied with the city. Gives me lower back pain unlike my Liva. No rating at all

10. Glitch free for 4 years.

Its a Honda vs a Fiat. What do you expect?

11. Ground clearance.

Both have raised suspensions now. On paper the Linea wins but I suspect the city would win on roads. Not sure though.
I had the exact same dilemma about two years back.

Have always longed for the Linea purely on the basis of its looks. Italians know how to tug at hearts with their curvaceous designs.

But in the end i went for the City and have been a happy owner ever since. Still I look lovingly at Lineas flowing by, but would I have been as happy? Would it have served me in the exact same way with the only warning light ever being the low fuel level one? The answer to that cant really be answered now, can it be?

If you do buy a Linea, I would envy you. And if you buy a City, the car would be as loyal to you as a dog would be to its master. To each one, his own. Best of luck.
revintup is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2013, 12:04   #1008
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
but as much as I would love to go back to Fiat, my head directs me to the Honda.
How would you rate your experience with Fiat service in Pune? I would take a decision based entirely on this as this is what you need the most with a Fiat. The Linea is a very good and reliable car. Pitched beside the Honda, its really hard for the Linea to come tops.

Quote:
No other make/model is in question.
Any reasons for this? Everyone ignores this car but I feel the Suzuki SX4 petrol should be on your list. Its one heck of a car and in my opinion, is a better drivers car than the City.

My personal ranking on the two cars you've lined up.

Quote:
Fit/finish
Honda

Quote:
Current after sales support quality in Pune, or like cities.
Honda

Quote:
Highway handling,ride and drive train performance.
The Linea is on another planet.

Quote:
AC effectiveness.
Equal

Quote:
OE sound system quality.
Honda

Quote:
Usable boot space.
Equal

Quote:
Engine performance - drivability in town.
Equal when pitched beside a Linea T Jet. The NA Fiat 1.4 is a dud.

Quote:
Turning circle.
Honda

Quote:
Front seat comfort.
This is a hard one. I found the Honda to be a little more accommodating.

Quote:
Glitch free for 4 years.
This sways towards Honda though I have to say that there have been no serious issues reported so far with a Fiat Linea.

Quote:
Ground clearance.
Equal

Quote:
The Linea would be the top line diesel, since the turbo petrol isn't available any more.
Nothing like it if you can wait for the T Jet to make a come back.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2013, 12:06   #1009
BHPian

All I am hearing are these news for future Honda car launches (those can be below 10L)

1. Jade : MPV Based on Jazz (though not sure if it will cost more that 10 L, though possibilities are). Three months back I enquired on Honda jazz, as they were to stop the production. Got to hear from the dealers that Honda is to launch a MPV based on Jazz end of this year; so this is it.. engine based on civics iVtec 1.8, tranny 5 MT, and also CVT; projected release in China is september this year.
more details on-
http://www.overdrive.in/details/3241...Auto-Show-2013
Chinese version on-
http://chinaautoweb.com/2013/04/hond...-in-september/

2. Everus S1 : Facelift of Everus S1 that is based on Honda city was disclosed in Shangahi motor show recently (not sure if this will make to india though)

Other launch is Crider which is a sedan proposed in a segment higher than Civc and but lower than Accord, proposed to launch in Inida, so expect it somewhere between 14-15L

Hope this updates help you !!
Old 2nd May 2013, 12:24   #1010
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
...VW Vento is the better bet. And both come at a similar price for their top levels of around 10.5L onroad.
Vento Diesel Highline is 12.99 OTR Bangalore with extended warranty. I believe the price difference is likely to be similar, if not the same, in other cities as well.
Old 2nd May 2013, 12:29   #1011
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tats07 View Post
I believe the price difference is likely to be similar, if not the same, in other cities as well.
Well, I have got one for 10.51L on-road at Meerut UP with a 8% road tax. Details here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-c...ml#post3092696 . Bangalore seems to be an exception from rest of India.
Old 2nd May 2013, 13:03   #1012
Senior - BHPian

This thread has a great potential for going the fanboy way!

That apart, how can you even bucket two different fuel and engine cars in the same bucket? IMHO its not justified to pit NA petrol against a turbo charged diesel. Either you wait till June when Tjet will be launched or use some other petrol car in the meanwhile for your comparison (Fluidic Verna or Vento or Rapid).

Since you're in Pune, except much better service for Fiat than other cities. On all other aspects, Linea (and specifically TJet) trumps the City, except OE sound system quality (worst I've ever heard) and turning circle (tight U turns are literally impossible).
nishantgandhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2013, 13:15   #1013
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
1. Fit/finish
4. AC effectiveness.
If your heart says FIAT and you love the brand and what it offers then go ahead with the Linea. Otherwise I don't think Linea would score over the city on any of your 10 points apart from Highway handling. On all other counts the city would be on the top. I have owned the city for the last 8 years now. Never once has it given me any trouble or reason to complain.

Also I would be indeed careful in buying a city right now since the current model is already 4 years old ( or more than that?). And Honda has always been swift and radical with its changes to the city. You don't wanna buy a new car and then end up with seeing the model changed in less than a year.
Old 2nd May 2013, 13:41   #1014
BHPian

Here are my answers in bold with my limited knowledge mate. To be honest, I think it is unfair to compare a NA petrol with a turbo charged diesel. If I were you, I would have waited till June ( speculated ) re-launch of Linea T-Jet, personally I find Fiat's to be more fun to drive. What good is the power without a chassis which does not put your driving skills to acid test .

Quote:
1. Fit/finish

If you could include build quality as well, then it is a tie. Line is better built and Honda's fit and finish is good

Honda as of now, But Fiat is working hard towards the same, but still we do not know what to expect.

Handling and ride, Linea any day.

Drive train performance, please read my opening comment, it is unfair to compare a turbo charged diesel with a free revving NA petrol, if you still insist Honda engines are way too good even by other petrol engine standards, let alone diesels

4. AC effectiveness.

Both good

5. OE sound system quality.

Fiat OE sound system is the worst you will get in the market, My suggestion spend some 10/15 Ks on after market fitment and they will sound a lot better than any OE setup, be it Honda or Hyundai

6. Usable boot space.

Both good

7. Engine performance - drivability in town.

Torque what Diesel engines offer you will keep you happy, while turbo lag will annoy you, when you want to do a quick overtake. Reverse the above statement you have a NA petrol engines. So pick your poison

8. Turning circle.

Sorry mate, Never specifically tested that in both so can't comment

9. Front seat comfort.

Hard to pick a winner. However I will go with Honda for the popular perception it carries

10. Glitch free for 4 years.

I never had any problems with Fiat, But again going by the popular sentiment, I would say Honda

11. Ground clearance.

Linea
My suggestion, If you could wait take a TD of both Honda City and T-Jet ( Once launched). I am sure you will be able to make up your mind better.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks