Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2009, 14:10   #16
Senior - BHPian

LOL! Underpowered??? I would like to invite the author of that article for a back-to-back ride with me in a stock Swift & then in my stock Getz. Believe me, underpowered will not be the word he'll use when he gets out of my car!
Old 21st February 2009, 15:41   #17
BHPian

Bs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
LOL! Underpowered??? I would like to invite the author of that article for a back-to-back ride with me in a stock Swift & then in my stock Getz. Believe me, underpowered will not be the word he'll use when he gets out of my car!
On Feb 15th 09, the site has a first article, where the author is totally ignorant of the existence of a diesel Getz. (link 1), then on Feb 18th 09, the same website has an article (I assume, by the same author) talking about the 'underpowered' diesel Getz. (link 2). So much for the reliability of this author / website.

Link 1: Diesel Hyundai Santro and Getz launch in 2009 | DWS Auto India

Link 2 : Hyundai i20 diesel launch India | DWS Auto India

Actually, I wouldn't even be surprised if the author of this article has never even touched a Getz CRDI, forget about driving one. Many such sites are least bothered about the veracity of the information that gets published, all that they want is 'content' with the required number of keywords, so that the pages show up on Google search and their main source of revenue is from the resulting Google ads that get displayed via G-adsense.

They put up projects on freelancing websites calling for 'original' articles at $1 or less per 500 word article. The folks winning the projects may not always be aware of what he/she are writing about. The modus operandi will be to download text from 10 different sites, mix and re-phrase them into a new article to get past copyscape testing.

I remember that there were quite a few discussions on the net about the 'underpowered' 1.1lt Getz. So this author would have downloaded some relatively recent articles about Getz, which would also include the 1.1 Getz reviews as well as some CRDI Getz reviews, and got them both mixed up to come up with this article.

Is the Hyundai Getz diesel under torqued.-dsl.png

Last edited by hotstuff : 21st February 2009 at 15:55.
Old 21st February 2009, 16:12   #18
BHPian

Bs.. contd.

A case in point is the watchcars.com site that has been posted on the official jokes thread.

Have a look at a sample from the ridiculous articles that are regularly published on the site...

Quote:
Hyundai had in Apr this assemblage launched Getz Prime in 1.1-litre and 1.3-litre petrol engines “Following the success of Getz Prime in India, we hit definite to add added var. to the arrange to wage the much necessary frugalness to whatever of our customers travelling daylong indifference everyday,” said H.S. Lheem, Managing Director, HMIL, in a statement.

Source: Hyundai’s Getz Prime diesel variant @ Rs 4.73 lakh : Watch Cars
I dont think they expect anyone to take their articles seriously... they are just putting some content with Keywords online for G-ads. [Look at the number of Google ads that get pulled up on the watchcars.com site!]. The 'dancingwith...' site too has a similar purpose.
Old 21st February 2009, 18:10   #19
Senior - BHPian

I'm not sure how far this is true, but in the ACI shootout of swift diesel and getz diesel, some of the in-gear acceleration of swift were better than the getz. Can't comment since I've never driven the getz diesel.
Old 21st February 2009, 19:08   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
The author hasn't even mentioned Verna in his review.

He says - "The diesel engine in the Hyundai Getz is too anemic for the i20, so it has to be another one to take on the super-torquey diesel Suzuki Swift".

How can he call the 190nm Swift engine super torquey when the getz engine is producing 235nm?

And then he goes on to say that the i20 needs the 1.4 ltr engine which is only 88bhp and 220nm.

On which planet is 110bhp/235nm less powerful than 88bhp/220nm?
Agree with you. I was just considering that I20 with Getz CRDi can be a bit slower than Getz Crdi, nothing else.
I dont know about other planets, but on Planet Earth, 110bhp/235Nm is more than 88bhp/220Nm.

I wonder how much worse can these pseudo auto sites go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
I'm not sure how far this is true, but in the ACI shootout of swift diesel and getz diesel, some of the in-gear acceleration of swift were better than the getz. Can't comment since I've never driven the getz diesel.
It might be true, but for outright acceleration, Swift is around 0.5 seconds slower than Getz Crdi as per ACI. Also in general, if the Swift is not underpowered, Getz in any case cannot be called underpowered neither the author can call Getz engine to be anemci for i20.

But for in-gear acceleration, you IMO stand correct.
Old 21st February 2009, 23:14   #21
BHPian

I have not driven either.

I haven't driven either of these cars but have had a highway racing experience of in gear acceleration of both these cars against my GTX. From 60kmph in 3rd gear in my GTX I can have the Swift diesel eating my dust every single time but have had to eat the Getz CRDI's dust every single time barring none from the same speed. Whatever I tried; including redlining it to 7000rpm was to no avail. I was using LPG both the times since I have not used Petrol for 4 and 1/2 years except on early morning starts. May be I could have kept up with the GETZ if I had used petrol and removed the airway constrictor of the LPG feeder unit (reduces the inlet throttlebody diameter by half) but I am dead sure the swift is far far slower than the getz crdi by experience. If you guys are wondering; both times the driver in the other car was the same and driver experience does not come into the picture. How I wish the GTX had an option of upgrading it with a reliable turbo and intercooler and brakes too and then it would be a level playing field. The only issue against the GTX then would be the kerb weight which at present with 2 liters of petrol and full tank of gas in the torroid tank is already 1130kilos.
Old 21st February 2009, 23:22   #22
Senior - BHPian

Got a report today eve that Sonata Transform felt slower than a Pete'd Getz CRDi.
Old 22nd February 2009, 00:53   #23
BHPian

Someone mentioned that the verna has not been mentioned in that guys review. As a verna crdi owner, I must make the point that the verna is severely "underpowered" in 1st gear, until we shift up to 2nd and the turbo charger kicks in.
While the way that chap has written his review seems ambiguous and outrageous, perhaps his point of view is that the getz, though slightly more refined then the verna engine, might still face some turbo lag at the lowest gear, unlike say a swift that might provide more uniform acceleration. So the point being, I think he was actually referring to the turbo lag, and instead mentioned it as torque??
Old 22nd February 2009, 01:11   #24
Senior - BHPian

Absolute CRAP!
Was driving the Sonata Transform today and i must even with 150bhp it was slower than Peted Getz in terms of outright acceleration.
Old 22nd February 2009, 01:36   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
The diesel engine in the Hyundai Getz is too anemic for the i20, so it has to be another one to take on the super-torquey diesel Suzuki Swift.
Nice sunday joke, Dr Pull!

Nothing more to it.
Old 22nd February 2009, 01:54   #26
BHPian

Our error! Mea Culpa!!

Hey hey.

All those who thought maybe we had a point, thank you, but it was an error.

I run the site in question, the writer is an auto journalist who made a mistake there. I have no idea which car he had in mind, but it was not the Getz diesel. It is not anemic.

Apologies for that stupid mistake. One of our readers pointed it out, but we are on a break for 2 days and would be corrected first thing Monday morning!!!
Old 22nd February 2009, 02:29   #27
Senior - BHPian

After a ride in it today. ( KPGETZ)
I can never say it is undertorqued.
Hell its over torqued.
Old 22nd February 2009, 06:17   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
I haven't driven either of these cars but have had a highway racing experience of in gear acceleration of both these cars against my GTX. From 60kmph in 3rd gear in my GTX I can have the Swift diesel eating my dust every single time but have had to eat the Getz CRDI's dust every single time barring none from the same speed. Whatever I tried; including redlining it to 7000rpm was to no avail. I was using LPG both the times since I have not used Petrol for 4 and 1/2 years except on early morning starts. May be I could have kept up with the GETZ if I had used petrol and removed the airway constrictor of the LPG feeder unit (reduces the inlet throttlebody diameter by half) but I am dead sure the swift is far far slower than the getz crdi by experience. If you guys are wondering; both times the driver in the other car was the same and driver experience does not come into the picture. How I wish the GTX had an option of upgrading it with a reliable turbo and intercooler and brakes too and then it would be a level playing field. The only issue against the GTX then would be the kerb weight which at present with 2 liters of petrol and full tank of gas in the torroid tank is already 1130kilos.
Doc, you won't have the benefit of LPG once you fit a turbo. Intercooler yes, without a turbo.

The proximity to the hot exhaust may ignite the LPG+air mixture (as it is there are not sequential injection kits for the LPG kit for a Palio, even if you fitted them, it will outweigh the performance vs cost benefits).

Shift to petrol and rip. Yet the CRDi Getz is a rocket on its own.

Cheers
M M
Old 22nd February 2009, 08:29   #29
Senior - BHPian

getz CRDi has the nasty reputation of being over powered (compared to the rest of the cars in the segment that is!). I have no idea what the author means by anemic!
Old 22nd February 2009, 09:31   #30
Senior - BHPian

It was a typo !

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdgawd View Post
Hey hey.

All those who thought maybe we had a point, thank you, but it was an error.

I run the site in question, the writer is an auto journalist who made a mistake there. I have no idea which car he had in mind, but it was not the Getz diesel. It is not anemic.

Apologies for that stupid mistake. One of our readers pointed it out, but we are on a break for 2 days and would be corrected first thing Monday morning!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
getz CRDi has the nasty reputation of being over powered (compared to the rest of the cars in the segment that is!). I have no idea what the author means by anemic!
KP! sh!

We are taking about stock cars!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks