Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2010, 10:30   #16
BHPian

many developed countries are going through recession.But India is one country which still holds on and steadily progressing too. Indian Auto industry is on all time high compared to other Asian,middle east or European markets. so it is obvious that all manufacturers dream is to enter India
Old 15th June 2010, 11:00   #17
Senior - BHPian

Great that just leaves Citroen now. Renault here ( well, sort of ) ,Peugeot coming its a matter of time now that Citroen try their luck out
Old 15th June 2010, 11:10   #18
Senior - BHPian

All the best to them. They have a herculean task ahead of them. They have to somehow convince people that they will not leave them in the lurch and run away from the slightest problem they face here, yet again.

In fact, both Peugeot and Fiat faced the same problem, PAL that is. Fiat is still struggling to come to terms with that. I wonder how Peugeot can do if and when they come here.

All said and done, they make good cars, and I hope that they will be able to make it big here.
Old 15th June 2010, 11:11   #19
Team-BHP Support

Well Peugeot owns Citroen - bit like VW Audi Skoda
Old 15th June 2010, 11:21   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
Great that just leaves Citroen now. Renault here ( well, sort of ) ,Peugeot coming its a matter of time now that Citroen try their luck out

From what I read its a Peugeot-Citreon JV. So I am sure we will see cars from both their line-ups. I wonder what badge they will have though. Wont be surprised if all of them are badged Citreon so that the cars are not associated with Peugeot's past.
Old 15th June 2010, 11:46   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
My God, it's like every car manufacturer worth their salt have plans of setting up shop here. Wonder if they are all going by that great middle class hoax of 200 milliion?
Not really. They're going by the other vast majority of affluent Indians in towns and semi rural areas who allegedly don't pay or evade taxes, hoard black money , the politicians and their hangers-on. That's where the money is.
Old 15th June 2010, 12:13   #22
BANNED

Peugeot is known for its high quality engines and robust build across models. The 309 and the 309 GLD were very good cars of their time and have proven their might across millions of kms in terrains of Africa and Brazil. It was their ill fated partnership with PAL which took them down here.

Lets hope they make it good this time.
Old 15th June 2010, 12:22   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite View Post
Not really. They're going by the other vast majority of affluent Indians in towns and semi rural areas who allegedly don't pay or evade taxes, hoard black money , the politicians and their hangers-on. That's where the money is.
How do you think Peugot will reach majority of affluent Indians in towns and semi rural areas.? Will they straight away appoint dealers in towns and semi rural areas.? Do you think people living in these areas will have brand recognition or brand recall.?

Many people in semi rural areas depend on agricultural income which is non-taxable, please refrain from posting such basless comments.
Old 15th June 2010, 12:27   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Peugeot is known for its high quality engines and robust build across models. The 309 and the 309 GLD were very good cars of their time and have proven their might across millions of kms in terrains of Africa and Brazil. It was their ill fated partnership with PAL which took them down here.

Lets hope they make it good this time.
Spot on. The 309 GLD was a great car and a fun drive. I think I am crazy but I love the way the 309 looks too.
Old 15th June 2010, 12:30   #25
BHPian

Peugeot makes great small cars that would do well in India and they also have brilliant small diesel engines. So long as they don't think of themselves as premium (like most manufacturers who entered the market) they should do fine.
Old 15th June 2010, 13:42   #26
BHPian

Peugeot sells well in Europe and all its models look great as well. My friend has a Peugeot 207 (old one) and he seems pretty about it. 309 was a big disaster in India, whatever the reasons might be. Guess they would have to go the way in which Toyota entered the US markets after it initially failed.
Old 15th June 2010, 15:50   #27
BHPian

Peugeot has good diesel engines. They sell the engines to Ford in EU also.
Many of the latest models are good looking. They have some really good models like 3008. I do not expect them to bring this model to India. I like to be proved wrong.
Old 15th June 2010, 15:57   #28
BHPian

I think Peugeot and Citroen makes some sweet looking cars. The 07 Peugeot series i.e. 107, 207, 307 and 407 and the C Series of Citroen are no where near being bland.

But as in the case of all cars that are made for the european market, i think that they will premium priced. Wonder how the product launches will be shaped out.

Also, any word on whether they are going ahead with the Mitsubishi partnership?
Old 15th June 2010, 18:06   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgev View Post
Indian Auto industry is on all time high compared to other Asian,middle east or European markets. so it is obvious that all manufacturers dream is to enter India
Indian automotive market is doing resonably well. We are zooming ahead in terms of percentage growth; but we are still very small in terms of absolute numbers. If I may put it, we are just teenagers compared to North American, West European and Japanese markets. But China is where the action is. China will define the future automotive scene.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
My God, it's like every car manufacturer worth their salt have plans of setting up shop here. Wonder if they are all going by that great middle class hoax of 200 milliion?
Why not? If you do not set up shop in China, India, you will lose the game.

IMO, Puegeot will have a partnership of sorts for its distribution channel. No point reinventing the wheel. Peugeot's secret to succes lies in the choice of partner (basically translates to after sales service) and its value for money offering for the Indian buyer. It is doomed if it even remotely thinks of dumping obsolete technology in the Indian market, like Mercedes-Benz tried in the mid-90s.
Old 15th June 2010, 18:52   #30
Senior - BHPian

In China, they have a reasonably good model range. Recently Peugeot launched a new sedan in China, the 408. 408 sold in China is a sedan based on extended 308 platform. Thought not a thorough model as a EU car, it would do good in India. Not only are the cars good looking ( and a fresh change ), they are quite well built with good diesels.

For petrol unit/s Peugeot has tie up with BMW and some small cars from Peugeot get the jointly developed 1.6. May be we can will get that too.

Overall, Peugeot is having a wide model range to pluck a car for India. Only thing is that Peugeot will have to sort out A.S & S., spare parts cost and car pricing for India.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks