Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2009, 11:01   #31
BHPian

@HRAg, the site you mention does not tell me anything about ARAI and the RC book.

The Motor Vehicles Act, Sec 52 , is clear:

No Owner of a vehicle shall so alter the vehicle that the particulars contained in the certificate of registration are at variance with those originally specified by the manufacturer.

In other words, you cannot alter the particulars contained in the RC book. I see nothing regarding tyre size, alloys in the RC book, just as there is nothing concerning type of seat covers, stereo-system, floor mats, steering wheel covers, air-fresheners, etc.

The argument of the cops is patently illegal.

Last edited by filcord : 6th March 2009 at 11:03.
Old 6th March 2009, 11:27   #32
Senior - BHPian

nice topic, have heard of violating warranty with the car manufacturer for tyre upgrading but not with the RC book containment or traffic violations, seems another reason for those cops to earn.Havent seen in my RC book too about tyre sizes.
Old 6th March 2009, 12:15   #33
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcord View Post
@HRAg, the site you mention does not tell me anything about ARAI and the RC book.

The Motor Vehicles Act, Sec 52 , is clear:

No Owner of a vehicle shall so alter the vehicle that the particulars contained in the certificate of registration are at variance with those originally specified by the manufacturer.

In other words, you cannot alter the particulars contained in the RC book. I see nothing regarding tyre size, alloys in the RC book, just as there is nothing concerning type of seat covers, stereo-system, floor mats, steering wheel covers, air-fresheners, etc.

The argument of the cops is patently illegal.
Sir, please read the section on registration, especially the process of registration. As a buyer, you sign on Form 20 (the dealer typically fills the rest). The rest is a Sale Certificate, insurance cover note, proof of address and road-worthiness certificate in Form 22 from the manufacturer.

Now, what do you think Form 22 contains? The key words are "at variance with those originally specified by the manufacturer".

Last edited by hrag : 6th March 2009 at 12:16.
Old 6th March 2009, 14:26   #34
BHPian

come on guys every law/ rule gets flouted.

havent we all seen cops vehicles with dark sun film?

also top cops's cars are bullet proof, police jeeps and vans have grills/ mesh all over the glass area, etc , all these are also variations from manufacturers specifications.
Old 6th March 2009, 15:02   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
Actually that is a voilation atleast in the US; not sure about Europe. Tail lights have different colors to indicate different intention. How is someone coming up behind you supposed to know if you are turning on braking or reversing if the lamp (cover) is broken. (ofcourse reverse indicator doesn'a apply to a bike). If it's not then this should be voilation in India too.
FYI, it is not Voilation, the word is 'Violation', oh you do not need to go to the US or even Europe, it is a violation if your tail lamps are not working, Dont worry man, thats a very rare incident with me, I know why you need to have tail lamps and what the different coloured lights are supposed to represent.

I was trying to add my own expereince, you get pulled up by cops and they will find the smallest and silliest of reasons, to fine you. Thank God I drive a car mostly, but guys riding bikes are a fv with the cops in hyderabad.
Old 6th March 2009, 15:48   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Sir, please read the section on registration, especially the process of registration. As a buyer, you sign on Form 20 (the dealer typically fills the rest). The rest is a Sale Certificate, insurance cover note, proof of address and road-worthiness certificate in Form 22 from the manufacturer.

Now, what do you think Form 22 contains? The key words are "at variance with those originally specified by the manufacturer".
Sorry mate, I beg to disagree.
Disclaimer - I am a practising lawyer!

All the law books have the same commentary on this provision, i.e, that it applies only to those particulars contained in the Certificate of registration.
All caselaw on the subject is also related to matters such as seating capacity, engine, unladen weight, conversion from transport vehicle to personal car, etc. For a light motor vehicle (LMV) the tyre size and details are not recorded.

The clincher is the explanation which lies at the bottom of Sec 52 :
"For the purposes of this section, "alteration" means a change in the structure of a vehicle which results in a change in its basic feature."

I rest my case.
Old 6th March 2009, 17:19   #37
BHPian

Quote:

The clincher is the explanation which lies at the bottom of Sec 52 :
"For the purposes of this section, "alteration" means a change in the structure of a vehicle which results in a change in its basic feature."

I rest my case.
so doesn't changing the tires to wider ones or stock rims to alloys change the basic feature characteristics of the vehicle ? just a thought the way it rides, the way it turns, the way it handles, etc
Old 6th March 2009, 18:09   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
so doesn't changing the tires to wider ones or stock rims to alloys change the basic feature characteristics of the vehicle ? just a thought the way it rides, the way it turns, the way it handles, etc
"Basic feature" has been interpreted by the courts as matters dealing with engine power and capacity, seating arrangement and capacity, purpose (such as transport vehicle), and unladen weight. I can't find anything concerning tyre size! (It's also cheaper to pay the cops to get off your back than to pay a lawyer to make your case stand up in Court, and get your judgment reported)
Old 6th March 2009, 18:14   #39
BHPian

Quote:
It's also cheaper to pay the cops to get off your back than to pay a lawyer to make your case stand up in Court, and get your judgment reported
i like this line - especially cos its coming from a lawyer

so by that point, unless they can prove, that aftermarket performance parts (cold air intakes and FFE) improve the characeristics there really isn't a case !! Mental BHP cannot be proven in court
Old 6th March 2009, 18:58   #40
BANNED

Now this is a real shocker to me.

How in the world can alloy wheels be illegal to use. Same for oversized tires. I know that cars boosted beyond a certain limit can be illegal or bikes with car engines, as i read a case about this in Chennai somewhere, a guys was waiting for approval from RTo as his completely remodded bullet had a Gypsy engine.

But this is ridiculous. Can someone pls confirm this.
Old 8th March 2009, 23:10   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjugun View Post
i think his tyres are protruding outside the body ,i think its illegal.
Yes , I have Yokohama 295 50 R15, and they protrude about 3 inches from OEM arches, still how would it qualify to be illegal? Theres no restrictions on the width of vehicles on road
If that the case then multi billion auto accessories market is illegal too!!Who gives anyone the authority to puzzle with car wiring and install security,ICE,Horns,Fog-Lights and what not on cars??
AND take this one - can you be penalised for under inflated tyres of yours?? - cause they also render you car unworthy of road???

SO do we actually have any conclusion out of the discussion here??

Regards
Old 9th March 2009, 00:56   #42
Senior - BHPian

This is a shocker.. Any pictures of the remodded Bullet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon View Post
Now this is a real shocker to me.

How in the world can alloy wheels be illegal to use. Same for oversized tires. I know that cars boosted beyond a certain limit can be illegal or bikes with car engines, as i read a case about this in Chennai somewhere, a guys was waiting for approval from RTo as his completely remodded bullet had a Gypsy engine.

But this is ridiculous. Can someone pls confirm this.
Old 9th March 2009, 11:29   #43
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Most economy cars are actually under-tyred from the factory itself (for fuel efficiency); thus, a tyre upgrade would make the car safer on the road, especially highways.

If transport authorities continue to enforce this stupid policy, expect tyre lobbyists to swing in Delhi. Wider tyres are more expensive. It is in their interest for consumers to upgrade!
Old 9th March 2009, 11:38   #44
BANNED

Quote:
Sorry mate, I beg to disagree.
Disclaimer - I am a practising lawyer!
I rest my case.
You obviously know the law better. What I read & understand from the MV Act (and other related acts) is reason enough for me to keep all my vehicles in stock condition.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks