Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2009, 10:37   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
At around 2 am today, I saw 2 hatchback versions of the Linea being loaded into a truck on Carter road in Bandra. Is that car already launched?
Quote:
Originally Posted by budmaash View Post
I think that is the Grande Punto. I think it launches on June 17th.
Yes. That would be the Grande Punto. It is a good sign that its being spotted in our city limits now. Waiting for the 17th!
Old 2nd June 2009, 15:45   #62
Senior - BHPian

What I want to know is not whether the Linea is coming with a 1.6MJD but whether the Grande Punto is coming with that engine and how soon. If so, I am holding onto my S10 for a few months more.
Old 2nd June 2009, 16:53   #63
BHPian

Last week when i test drove the linea , the sales rep who delivered my plaio 1.6 told me that most of his colleagues had gone for the punto training and when i asked why he didn't go he told me that the line 1.6 will be launched in december so he wanted to go training for that .
Old 2nd June 2009, 16:59   #64
BHPian

Frankly, I am a bit sceptical about the word "soon". Time has a different meaning and sense of flow in Fiat India.
If they say December, it is more likely to be next March-April.
Old 2nd June 2009, 17:03   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridharps View Post
Frankly, I am a bit sceptical about the word "soon".
Maybe it also depends on when the new Fiesta 1.6 and SX4 1.3MJD launch dates will be announced.

Quote:
when i asked why he didn't go he told me that the line 1.6 will be launched in december so he wanted to go training for that
Can sales staff refuse to go for training like that?
Old 2nd June 2009, 17:20   #66
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
What I want to know is not whether the Linea is coming with a 1.6MJD but whether the Grande Punto is coming with that engine and how soon. If so, I am holding onto my S10 for a few months more.
GP in 1.6 seems a bit distant. Fiat won't take any chances as 1.6 means may be higher price, & may be lower FE & then it becomes a very very niche segment. they've already experienced it & it sounds risky.

Linea, if it comes in 1.6L, & if they price it Rs. 30 - 40 K higher than current 1.4 L petrol Linea, then it makes an attractive proposition. Anything more than 40K price hike in 1.6L, I would prefer current 1.4 L Linea over 1.6L, as I feel its adequately powered
Old 3rd June 2009, 09:59   #67
BHPian

Let them price it even a lac above the current one, but the magical question is. WHEN WILL THEY LAUNCH?

Launching any time soon does not seem to make any sense, as I am almost sure that most of us would then want the 1.6 diesel over the 1.3 one.

And given the fiat legacy we can only keep praying, as fiat themselves would not be knowing when they would be launching the new engine into india.
Old 3rd June 2009, 13:05   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VahanPujari View Post
GP in 1.6 seems a bit distant. Fiat won't take any chances as 1.6 means may be higher price, & may be lower FE & then it becomes a very very niche segment.
I think higher price will be more of a hinderance then the slightly lower fuel efficiency. Still, I am not saying that Fiat should discontinue the 1.3 and replace it with 1.6. Launch the 1.6 as an additional variant alongwith the 1.3.

GP 1.6 MJD emotion at 7.3L OTR.

GP 1.6MJD Emotion+ with 6 speed M/T, 16 inch alloys and body kit (spoiler, side and bumper skirts) at 7.8 to 8.0L OTR.
Old 3rd June 2009, 17:07   #69
mxx
BHPian

Frankly this is great if it happens. The only thing that linea lacks is a good engine. There are small plastic fit and finish issues in the car, but that can all be forgotten if it has a 1.6 vgt

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
One year down the line after the warranty period I intend to put in the Ptronic to start my dash to the grave. I am drooling on the torque figures. Can you imagine the torque steer and the tire smoking/shredding potential of this car. I am sure that one can get wheel spin even in 4th and 5th gear as wheel spin in the first 3 gears is a given. All the while getting 17-20km/litre to diesel on the highway.

P-Tronic additional box-units :: power kit ::engine chips :: diesel chips :: power box-units :: diesel tuning :: power box-unit :: chiptuning :: increase engine power :: diesel booster :: TDI tuning :: additional box-unit (NEW)
OT, but is ptronic available in India.
Old 3rd June 2009, 17:29   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
Frankly this is great if it happens. The only thing that linea lacks is a good engine. There are small plastic fit and finish issues in the car, but that can all be forgotten if it has a 1.6 vgt

OT, but is ptronic available in India.
I am just wondering whether 1.6 MJD will compete with Octavia or Magnum or Laura instead of ANHC / Fiesta / SX4 / Verna.

I own a 1.3 MJD and I have done 175+ (read close to 180km/hr) with this small motor and that too with not much effort ( have a pic of my speedo read in my thread / BHP Garage). Truly 1.6 MJD will smoke all the other cars with its top-end...

It will be fun watching 1.6 MJD vanishing in the roads when we will still figure out ---which car was that?...

By the way.. Are there any Peted Lineas anywhere?

Regards,
Sathya

Last edited by Sathya_sc : 3rd June 2009 at 17:34.
Old 3rd June 2009, 21:52   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathya_sc View Post
I am just wondering whether 1.6 MJD will compete with Octavia or Magnum or Laura instead of ANHC / Fiesta / SX4 / Verna.
The 1.6 Linea will leave the ANHC/Fiesta/SX4/Verna in dust! It'll be one helluva performance car. People will not associate the word 'underpowered' with the Linea once it is launched.
Old 3rd June 2009, 22:21   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
The 1.6 Linea will leave the ANHC/Fiesta/SX4/Verna in dust! It'll be one helluva performance car. People will not associate the word 'underpowered' with the Linea once it is launched.
Even now there is "NO" necessity to call the Linea MJD underpowered. Linea effortlessly does 175 to 180km/hr with the 1.3 Engine.. You can see my garage where I have a pic of my speedo when I was doing close to 180km/hr..

Its adequately powered and when it gets combined with great handling.. nothing can come close to the current Linea. I own a Linea MJD. Initially (before) getting the car I had my own questions of it being a non-performer.. now i am more than happy (100%) to see its performance .. when I mean performance i mean a combo of Top end (a good top whack of 180km/hr), handling and ride quality at high speeds.

Regards,
Sathya
Old 3rd June 2009, 22:32   #73
BHPian

Ditto here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
I too am holding onto my GTX till I get a whiff that the 1.6MJD engine in any car will be launched here. Whether its on the FIAT Cedici(read SX4), FIAT GP or the Fiat Linea does not bother me.

A FIAT chassis with a FIAT 1.6MJD engine is all I ask for. FIAT if you are reading this please give me the pleasure of writing you out a cheque.
Old 3rd June 2009, 22:43   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathya_sc View Post
Even now there is "NO" necessity to call the Linea MJD underpowered. Linea effortlessly does 175 to 180km/hr with the 1.3 Engine.. You can see my garage where I have a pic of my speedo when I was doing close to 180km/hr..

Its adequately powered and when it gets combined with great handling.. nothing can come close to the current Linea. I own a Linea MJD. Initially (before) getting the car I had my own questions of it being a non-performer.. now i am more than happy (100%) to see its performance .. when I mean performance i mean a combo of Top end (a good top whack of 180km/hr), handling and ride quality at high speeds.

Regards,
Sathya

I think what he meant was more on the "agility factor" rather than "power factor" power as we all know is more than enough in the higher gears, I have yet to see an ANHC or similar do a 3-4-5th with the thrust that MJD does. The good thing is that once you are above 3rd gear, you would not need to shift down, unless you are really in bumper to bumper traffic. I have driven Linea in 3rd at 10kmph and it does not knock. 5th at 40kmph. 5th is smooth.

Having said that, I would agree that the car is not agile as I would like it to be owing to super short 1st and 2nd gears.
Old 4th June 2009, 10:44   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by -xplora- View Post
Having said that, I would agree that the car is not agile as I would like it to be owing to super short 1st and 2nd gears.
100% True.. 1st and 2nd are two short and are the culprits for the 15 secs 0-100 dash.. ..where an ANHC or a verna or a SX4 will smoke a Linea in a drag.

But the momentum that it gains in 3rd/4th and 5th are awesome, especially 90+ in 5th is really addictive.. In no moments Linea touches 140/150...

Regards,
Sathya
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks