Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2009, 16:27   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Garware, I am assuming is a branded sunfilm company. How come a company with a brand image manufacture a film like this one?

Or is it only because the rule is not implemented?
swift8847-- Perhaps the film is legal for other vehicles where the security issue is being able to see inside the car?

Possible misuses/abuses do not always make a product illegal.

Last edited by Perakath : 15th April 2009 at 16:28.
Old 15th April 2009, 16:47   #32
Senior - BHPian

The problem here is in implementation of the law. Most members here feel that even if this law is enforced the local goons/dons/MLAs/VIPs will still go scott free. The innocent people will be stopped and fined/harassed. Law is neat but the enforcement is weak and will target the innocent more. Thats a summary somewhat.
Old 15th April 2009, 17:15   #33
F50
Senior - BHPian

I had the darkest possible tints available in my Santro. I have been caught so many times and amount of money paid exceeded 3 times the cost of the tints. Still never removed it. lol

Come Swift, I decided not to go in for the darkest shade but for the highest RTO approved shade. It is light looks bit dark in the night but atleast I dont have to watch out for hungry pandus. Visibility is great whereas I couldnt see much in the Santro.

Go in for lighter shade not only to save money (by not bribing) but also for your own safety.
Old 15th April 2009, 17:20   #34
Senior - BHPian

Rx135: Lets not go into the whole good initiative , illegal and unsafe stuff.You as well as I are well aware of the whole traffic police morality and their reasons for challaning motorists.Rules and regulations are okay but enforcing them when you want and when not to is not.And fine has never really been a detterent.As i said chandigarh traffic police is one of the most notorious in India.But still they are hell lot of cars you see with tints.Infact my own car has absolute jet black tints. i know of so many stories where a person with 50% tints gets challanged and a person with 100% tints is left.This is India my friend everything is legal as long as you are not caught.
Old 15th April 2009, 17:47   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh51 View Post
RTO unapproved tints must be banned across the country and this should be implied for safety of all citizens.
Not all laws are logical. This is one of them. Laws need to be practical too. Indian climate is such that you need tinted films. Clear films may be avaliable but again Indian's have a habit of peeping, staring and looking inside your car specially if there is a woman inside.

Generally, laws are overtly safe. There is a flyover outside my office and the speed limit on the curve there is 30kmph. If a cop stands with a speed gun beyond the curve, he will find 100% of vehicles including trucks and cops cars too exceeding the speed limit!
Old 15th April 2009, 19:27   #36
BHPian

This is the death knell I was hoping wouldn't sound this year. The Llumar 80s have served me soo well over the past couple of months. Especially the last couple of days. It was like the icy-chilly-cold winds of winter, only MUCH warmer. The 20% tint, outlawed it may be, made the insides of the car an Oasis to escape from the winds we call "Loo". and kept the uneasy stares of grubby strangers away as well. All going to end soon, it seems.... Sigh.
All good times must come to an end.

I've sat with a paand... cop, cop... in his car with 5% visibility tints. He was sure he won't be fined, ever. He even assured me the Supreme court had passed an order to the effect that visibility would no longer be an issue with these films. Meh.
I've sat in a Qualis that was an ACPs work-car. The driver didn't care much for the seat-belt.
I rode pillion, once, with a cop with no helmet on. The cop neither.
I've seen cops riding trillion; riding while dangling their danda; mostofall, riding their 100cc phatphats while talking on the phone.
Heck, the BIGGEST crossing in faridabad frequently features the traffic cop continuing a phone call In The Middle Of The Intersection, while the traffic waits for him to signal on... No Law for that, I guess.

The ONLY cars to be stopped will be the "I am a Law Abiding, middle level executive" cars. i10, i20, NHC types. Y'know, the cars gangsters-nee-politicians generally don't prefer. Watch out for the Silver-Number-Plate, zero visibility tint, Red-Beacon-On-Top Babu car that flouts every imaginable rule, do a FLYBY on 25 cops gawking in disbelief (and their bad luck). Its funny sometimes. Sometimes.
Sorry to go.
Old 15th April 2009, 19:42   #37
Senior - BHPian

@bigron, if you are keen on knowingly breaking the rules, then I don't even want to debate any further. But then why comment on police's morality? If I break rules, that's fine, but if Police selectively choose to enforce, they are corrupt and immoral. Beats me!
Old 15th April 2009, 19:57   #38
BHPian

Good initiative but...

..why is there a separate meter for measuring Front+ Back and Side glasses. A meter is a meter, it would measure only the visibility. There is no reason to have 2 meters. Or is each meter calibrated to show Yes/ No reading as to whether the glass is compliant or not?
Old 15th April 2009, 20:03   #39
BHPian

DWind: Because the front and rear windscreens are much larger than the side windows
Old 15th April 2009, 20:47   #40
Senior - BHPian

RX135:Lets not debate about the morality of the police.I deal with them day in and day out and at the higest level possible(DGP,ADGP,IG) and know very well where they stand.I ve met good cops too but they dont form the bulk .If you think that by not having dark tints solves anything then by all means go ahead and not have them.its entirely your take.They will stop you if they know they can get away with it otherwise they ll not even look at your car.
godog: those are some real valid points you got there mate.exactly what i am trying to say.
Old 15th April 2009, 21:45   #41
BHPian

My Vista has the darkest black possible, even if you come and stick your nose to the glass you cant see inside
But I travel in front of the cops day in and day out. I think the traffic woes are so much in Bangalore that the cops dont really care about it.
I just hope those tint meters dont come to Bangalore. I ve spent 1000 bucks for the film and want to use it for atleast a year.
Old 15th April 2009, 22:31   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revhappy View Post
My Vista has the darkest black possible, even if you come and stick your nose to the glass you cant see inside
But I travel in front of the cops day in and day out. I think the traffic woes are so much in Bangalore that the cops dont really care about it.
I just hope those tint meters dont come to Bangalore. I ve spent 1000 bucks for the film and want to use it for atleast a year.
Which company film?
Can you post a pic of it so we can see how Vista looks in that?
Old 15th April 2009, 22:58   #43
BHPian

Guys what ever you might say, but people with girlfriends or wifes siting near to them,or cars that have been modded,people wanting privacy, are disturbed by the onlookers, some times you just want to be alone, unnoticed, it is then that the very dark tints come handy.

Extremely dark tints, eg - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...c011000000.jpg, are very dark and reduce visibility(at night)but let people inside feel comfortable and safe as nothing can be seen inside from the outside, where as many RTO approved tints are dark in the day and it is relatively difficult to look inside as compared to non-tinted glasses but not at all dark in the night,it nearly becomes invisible.

What should be done is let people take permission for the dark 'Presidential' tints even in india, so that who ever wants it can get it for a price and cannot be trouble for his wants.

I personally have not even once experienced low visibility due to extra dark tints, even at nights.
Old 15th April 2009, 23:04   #44
Senior - BHPian

It's funny how people are ready to give up their freedoms based on some law that a politician in an AC office passes. I believe in Ben Franklin's saying "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Don't let the cops fool you. This law could be relevant in a country like US where dark-skinned+bearded Asian people stand out and cops have a reasonable doubt and actually care about the people. What are you going to do in a country whose majority population is dark-skinned and half of the people look like terrorists, and all the cops care about is milking money out of innocent motorists and law-abiding citizens? Hell, I look like a terrorist if I don't shave my stubble for a couple of days. And I get curious looks from passers-by on railway stations and hotels.

People are ready to give up so many of their freedoms just by hearing the word "terrorism" and "security". Aren't all the phone calls in India monitored anyways? How many terrorist plots have been foiled based on pre-emptive detection/intelligence work? What right do they have? What are they doing with that information? Why do they care about what I talk to with my friends? What guarantee do they give that my conversations will not be leaked to a third party who cares about what I'm talking about? What guarantee do they give that my secret information will not be snooped upon if I'm planning to run for the government and am considered a thorn by the ruling government?

I've put the darkest tints available on my OHC just so that my family can travel without having to endure looks from cheap and vulgar people on the road.... cops included. I will readily pay a fine everyday if I have to, just to keep them guarded from these looks. Hell with the cops and their moneymaking laws.

Meh, back to studying...

Last edited by pranavt : 15th April 2009 at 23:06.
Old 15th April 2009, 23:06   #45
Senior - BHPian

get ready girls(who drive cars with dark tints) to get a lot of dirty stares from auto walla's,Drunks,Rowdy's and me(im kidding )..
yes i agree it is more of a privacy issue when applying tints.
I recently tinted my camry.The dealer suggested go for jet black but i dint i chose 35 or 40% visibility(only on windows and rear) i know this is illegal according to RTO norms. But i can clearly see during nights and also a person from outside can clearly see me when im driving.
what i think RTO should do is relax the norms a bit.
70% for the front is an absolute Must. Rear screen and windows can be compromised a bit.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks