Team-BHP - Toyota Fortuner pricing
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Toyota Fortuner pricing (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/5700-toyota-fortuner-pricing-3.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by veyron1
hee..hee..ha..ha... good one there steeroid.... i was laughing my pants off, especially at this one..

If you've gone to buy an Innova (I did, and I booked one - however the delivery time gives more than enough time for a rethink, which is what is happening with me) you will understand that the base model is almost exactly as described. Okay, the tyres arent optional...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeroid
If you've gone to buy an Innova (I did, and I booked one - however the delivery time gives more than enough time for a rethink, which is what is happening with me) you will understand that the base model is almost exactly as described. Okay, the tyres arent optional...

so true.... the attitude from the toyota guys are, well, a little less than satisfactory... and although i haven't booked one, i've seen how the people who had booked the car (okay, van) had to wait for their test drives.....!!! yup, most of them didn't even test drive the car before booking it, like most of us, and they were waiting eons for their test drive...

now i wonder what are going through their minds now, as the deliveries are taking as long as 6 months...!!!! of course, the waiting period varies from city to city, but still...

and yes, the base model (ha..ha..) is exactly as you described it...

Quote:

..but if they price the fortuner at innova's (top end 'G' model) price,somehow, no doubt- the public will simply stop buying the innova 'G', and go for the fortuner, in which case, they might sell more than 2-3000 units per month; which is unlikely.

Hey Hey dude, wait a minute.. The Innova Top-end model has loads of features built into the vehicle.. Its simply not practical to put the price of Fortuner base model (bare-bones) at par with the Top-end Innova.. Besides both the vehicles cater to different segments.. a-la corolla.. So on a purely pricing front, i would price the Innova Top-end upto 80-90 grands more than the Base Fortuner..

Quote:

now, if toyota head-butts the endeavour, and prices it in the exact same range or less (12.5-15 lacs), then the innova's sales won't be cannibalised, both it's models would be safe, and it would simply eat up the competition for snack. now that seems more practical.... of course, in the first case, the engine would be the innova's and in the second, it would be the 3.0 D-4D....

This seems to be a more viable option.. Even if Toyota prices the Fortuner and the Innova at comparable prices.. Economy and space oriented Indian Janata would go for the Innova coz, the innova is expected to give superior kmpl as compared to the Fortuner.. The fortuner would be targetting the performance oriented, off-roading adventurous yuppies.. So where is the question of cannibalisation??

[quote=veyron1] let's hope none of the corporate bigwigs at toyota read this particular post of yours, and starts getting some smart ideas...
QUOTE]

Heh Heh, so lets give them some really smart ideas.. What say mate ??

Quote:

Heh Heh, so lets give them some really smart ideas.. What say mate ??
true, bro.... so, if the toyota guys are readin' this, check this out;

disregard all the funny stupid stuff said by me..; and launch the fortuner, at least by diwali, with the 3.0 D-4D engine , with 4X4, fully loaded,for 12 lacs.....PLEASE.....

but seriously, if toyota brings in the fortuner as a indegenious piece, then man(23), all our prayers would be answered. now that is a good possibility, as the fortuner will borrow the chassis, some suspension components, and various other things from the innova- so, let's keep our fingers crossed.....

wait a sec- i recently got news that the fortuner is already here, undergoing trials or something- not confirmed- anybody living near ARAI, please check....be on the lookout, guys..

Veyron, you just beat me to it.. 12 lakhs for a loaded Fortune agrees well with my system..

Isnt the Endeavour a larger vehicle than Fortuner? Toyota's pricing should be well below the Endeavour's.

Why is it that Toyota has to worry about Fortuner cannibalising Innova's sales in India? That should be the case in all markets where they sell both the vehicles. As man23 says, the market segments addressed by these vehicles is different, think Qualis vs Scorpio/Safari.

Quote:

wait a sec- i recently got news that the fortuner is already here, undergoing trials or something- not confirmed- anybody living near ARAI, please check....be on the lookout, guys..

I may have seen what could be the Fortuner on Saturday, parked inside the ARAI compound. I wasnt carrying a cam at that time, so no pics. sorry: I initially thought that it was the new Safari, but there is no way they would try and hide it so thoroughly. This thing has black camouflage all over it. It is far to deep inside to make anything out.

yes, nitin, the fortuner is a smaller SUV than the endeavour, or for that matter, even the safari- but the technology it offers, (the engine, mainly), is vastly superior to the endeavour, and the current safari; i say current, because the crd-i hasn't been launched yet...

therefore, the pricing of the fortuner is bent on tending towards the 12 lac range. but if it comes at that price, on-road, then god help others- and i'll be the first in line to own one....no matter who i have to kill....(he..he..)

true, the segments of all the cars that you have mentioned are different, but that is only to the knowledgeable man, like you; a normal, car-illiterate person will go for any car, if he has the money; it only depends upon the marketing skills of the company, and reputation....

and hey sajo... try to get some more info, dude... will be great news if you could muster some pics, too..... it's okay even if the pics show the camouflaged car.... all of us bhpians will rack our brains to figure it out..... just get some pics, somehow....

Quote:

yes, nitin, the fortuner is a smaller SUV than the endeavour, or for that matter, even the safari

Fortuner smaller than the Safari, Atleast it is a 7-seater right with a reasonable luggage space right?? I was planning to take my 7 member family for a cross-country trip in the fortuner this winter..

Yo Logger-heads at Toyota, the Fortuner better be a 7-seater.. Else i'll kick your butts out..

Heh Heh..

All the best Manish ... hope they launch it when they do it

This news just came in from inside TKML ...
Fortuner not to going to be launched till mid 2006 as Toyota wants to enjoy the success of the Innova... They have realised the preference shift of consumers from Sedans to SUV's .. So if they launch the Fortuner they will end up hampering Innova Sales ... Thus the decision to postpone launch ...
DAMN......#$!%!#^%#^#

Hope the above turns out to be wrong ...
SORRY GUYS

Damn! Hope you are worng EVO6.

Did some comparision of Toyota pricing (in Thailand). Most models are highest or Indian equivalent varients:

Model-------Thai baht-----INR---------------Baht * 1.1
Camry------1400000------1800000---------1540000
LCP---------3600000------4060000---------3960000
Corolla-----874000--------1100000---------961400
Innova P---1039000-------930000----------1142900
Innova D--1169000-------1000000--------1285900
Fortuner---1200000-------?-----------------1320000

For Camry & Corolla, they seem to be selling at a 20% premium. Prado is almost same, Innova is cheaper by 20%.

Philippino prices:
Model------Thai baht-----INR----------------Peso * .8
Camry-----1500000------1800000----------1200000
Corolla----900000-------1100000-----------720000
Innova D--965000-------1000000----------770000
Fortuner---1500000-----?-------------------1200000

So basically, can't really predict or guesstimate Indian prices.

As can be observed, I too am on the "waiting to buy" list.

Gears,
Red-One

Hey Redone, excellent data mate.. Looking at your data, i can guess that the Fortuner isn't manufactured in phillipines but the Innova is being manufactured there.. (Can someone please verify this for me..)

Comparing the Indian and Thailand charts and the fact that the Innova is manufactured with high amount of indigenisation.. The Innova appears to be almost 10% cheaper in India. Going by the same logic, if Fortuner is manufactured in India it should be around 10% cheaper in India too.. So that puts the price between 10.5Lacs and 11Lacs which falls within my system.. And i can add some cool accessories on to it as well..

I can provide more reasonable and accurate guesses if somebody can provide me the following information.

1> Is Innova and Fortuner actually manufactured in Phillipines.. I know that it is manufactured in Thailand.
2> What is the localisation percentage of components in phillipines and in Thailand?
3> Is Toyota going to manufacture the Fortuner in India?? How soon??

I've heard that TKML is looking for land to open another plant in Karnataka.. My Guess, is that plant would have a few assembly lines for the Fortuner as well..

Gears,
Manish.

The cars that come to India are from Thailand as it is Right hand drive there ... Phillipines is left hand drive ...

welcome the Fortuner. Wish it comes to india sooner or later. Have to see how it competes against CR-V.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EVO6
This news just came in from inside TKML ...
Fortuner not to going to be launched till mid 2006 as Toyota wants to enjoy the success of the Innova... They have realised the preference shift of consumers from Sedans to SUV's .. So if they launch the Fortuner they will end up hampering Innova Sales ... Thus the decision to postpone launch ...

This, if true, will be bad strategy on their part.. I am sure there are plenty of folks around who are waiting for the Fortuner.. This is a segment that will never buy Innova.. Instead Toyota will lose this market to the Safari/Scorpio CRD or any other SUV that gets launched before Fortuner.. I for one am not willing to accept such strategy games by a manufacturer..

BTW, in a similar vein, do any of you remember an article in ACI/OD a few months back which described a new world class SUV to be launched by an industrial/agricultural group in North India, who said that they studied the market and found that there is huge potential for SUVs.. I am sorry to be so vague but I cant remember the name of the group nor can locate the mag..