Maini Engineering 2 2.35%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2005, 15:30   #31
BHPian

its definately mul for me!
Old 27th May 2005, 16:18   #32
BHPian

skoda man skoda...... first company to discover the indian heart that runs on petrol instead of blood
Old 27th May 2005, 17:15   #33
BHPian

Ok i think i am the only guy speaking for Hyundai.I am looking from the company point of view.They win hands down if you consider the number of people who hate them.

Last edited by artofzen : 27th May 2005 at 17:18.
Old 27th May 2005, 20:27   #34
BHPian

Has to be Honda.. they just know Indian Auto industry in and out..thats why all their cars are rocking across India..
I'm sure if they get in a small segment car,it will create history in sales figures of the Small Size segment.

Suraj
Old 27th May 2005, 21:12   #35
BHPian

Well for me it is always company which is the challenger... they are the ones that keeps the others on toes.. I believe Honda has had it easy harping on their brand equity, to an extent overpricing their products...

For me it is Tata.. somebody who is trying to make innovations at a mass scale.. an Indian company with a global outlook with good VFM products in Indica and Indigo
though they need to make some good improvements over next few years to retain my vote.

~maniac
Old 28th May 2005, 12:18   #36
Senior - BHPian

Hmm...... this is getting tough......but right nnow im thinking about 2 manufacturers and cannt decide between them ! REv why !!
Old 28th May 2005, 12:29   #37
BANNED

I voted for Skoda.

They have been very determined with the Octy removing back to back models. RS, AT, L n K.. Superb..
Old 28th May 2005, 12:31   #38
BHPian

Skoda for me, it has got the best cars for the best price......believe me, i got a RIDER 2 months back and it is just too good to drive that car
Old 28th May 2005, 13:08   #39
Senior - BHPian

Very very surprised to see DC not having a single vote as is GM !
Old 28th May 2005, 14:58   #40
BHPian

Its skoda for me...

PF
Old 28th May 2005, 15:09   #41
Team-BHP Support

Ok, nice topic to get back into the game here after a couple of weeks off!

Firstly, I don't consider Porsche, Audi and Nissan as manufacturers. they are simple importers!

Then, I think a lot of people are overlooking the basic criteria i.e. June 2004-May 2005. As the Swift is not on sale yet (placing downpayments at dealers don't count), it should not be taken into account for this poll. So, what does that leave MUL with? Well, unsurprisingly, nothing! They have done nothing to command being called the Manufacturer of the year! The only area where I wholeheartedly thank them is for their support to Indian motor sport. But thats a different issue.

Honda. Again, they have not really come out with anything new. That said, the products currently on sale are class acts in their respective categories. Plus, you can be sure to get the latest from Honda, who, unlike MUL, have the b*lls to discontinue a model that is still the best seller in its segment! However the delay in launching the Civic, which IMO should have been out on our streets already, costs them my vote.

Toyota. Upgraded the Corolla with much needed ABS and launched the Innova along with other high end SUV's (which are CBU's so not to be taken into account). Unlike Revv who feels Toyota deserved his vote for the brilliant packaging of the Innova, I think otherwise. That is only because of the price. Starting from Rs.7 lakhs plus for the base version, it's a rip off! You don't even get power steering or power windows unless you shell out more than Rs.8 lakhs! Lets not even talk about the 10 lakhs needed for the top-of-the-line model! We are talking an MUV here at the end of the day. Toyota themselves stated that they priced it higher that they should have only to position Toyota as being above the rest! Hogwash! And definitely not my vote.

Ford: Being the 3rd largest manufactuere in the world, but yet the Fusion was only their third CAR model to be launched in India after more than a decade of being present in this country. No vote from me just for that alone!

GM: They are a bit better than Ford, but I still expected a lot more from the worlds largest automobile manufacturer.

Skoda: They should have got my vote. They have an amazing product with the TDi and a scorcher with the Vrs. They are also the first manufacturer to actualy do more to their "sports" version than a sticker and badge job. But there's no doubt that the Octi is now a discontinued model and I simply cannot vote for them knowing this. But, spy shots of the new car under testing also shows that they are not just sitting around, so they may just get my vote next year!

Tata: Continuosly improving, but a long way to go still.

So, who does my vote go to. well, crazy as it may be, it would be Hyundai.

Why? Well, they introduced the Tuscon, which, although a bit overpriced, is still a great vehicle. The Santro Xing is still one of the best supermini's you can buy in India and the Accent is still a worthy contender, even though its replacement is around the corner. However, what puts Hyundai apart from the other manufacturers is its ability to introduce new models in India almost simultaneously as they are launched abroad. While Honda does this as well, the fact Hyundai were the only manufacturers to take on Maruti on their home soil with a small car (at the time of its launch) means it sways my vote.
Old 28th May 2005, 15:17   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
Ok, nice topic to get back into the game here after a couple of weeks off!

Firstly, I don't consider Porsche, Audi and Nissan as manufacturers. they are simple importers!

Then, I think a lot of people are overlooking the basic criteria i.e. June 2004-May 2005. As the Swift is not on sale yet (placing downpayments at dealers don't count), it should not be taken into account for this poll. So, what does that leave MUL with? Well, unsurprisingly, nothing! They have done nothing to command being called the Manufacturer of the year! The only area where I wholeheartedly thank them is for their support to Indian motor sport. But thats a different issue.

Honda. Again, they have not really come out with anything new. That said, the products currently on sale are class acts in their respective categories. Plus, you can be sure to get the latest from Honda, who, unlike MUL, have the b*lls to discontinue a model that is still the best seller in its segment! However the delay in launching the Civic, which IMO should have been out on our streets already, costs them my vote.

Toyota. Upgraded the Corolla with much needed ABS and launched the Innova along with other high end SUV's (which are CBU's so not to be taken into account). Unlike Revv who feels Toyota deserved his vote for the brilliant packaging of the Innova, I think otherwise. That is only because of the price. Starting from Rs.7 lakhs plus for the base version, it's a rip off! You don't even get power steering or power windows unless you shell out more than Rs.8 lakhs! Lets not even talk about the 10 lakhs needed for the top-of-the-line model! We are talking an MUV here at the end of the day. Toyota themselves stated that they priced it higher that they should have only to position Toyota as being above the rest! Hogwash! And definitely not my vote.

Ford: Being the 3rd largest manufactuere in the world, but yet the Fusion was only their third CAR model to be launched in India after more than a decade of being present in this country. No vote from me just for that alone!

GM: They are a bit better than Ford, but I still expected a lot more from the worlds largest automobile manufacturer.

Skoda: They should have got my vote. They have an amazing product with the TDi and a scorcher with the Vrs. They are also the first manufacturer to actualy do more to their "sports" version than a sticker and badge job. But there's no doubt that the Octi is now a discontinued model and I simply cannot vote for them knowing this. But, spy shots of the new car under testing also shows that they are not just sitting around, so they may just get my vote next year!

Tata: Continuosly improving, but a long way to go still.

Why? Well, they introduced the Tuscon, which, although a bit overpriced, is still a great vehicle. The Santro Xing is still one of the best supermini's you can buy in India and the Accent is still a worthy contender, even though its replacement is around the corner. However, what puts Hyundai apart from the other manufacturers is its ability to introduce new models in India almost simultaneously as they are launched abroad. While Honda does this as well, the fact Hyundai were the only manufacturers to take on Maruti on their home soil with a small car (at the time of its launch) means it sways my vote.
RT

VERY WELL WRITTEN AND JUSTIFIED. EVEN IMO HYUNDAI IS A HEALTHY CONTENDER PROVIDED WE FORGET THE FACT THAT IT'S CARS HAVE HAD THEIR SHARE OF PROBLEMS. THOUGH I VOTED FOR SKODA, HYUNDAI COMES CLOSE SECOND.

I SECOND YOU ON MARUTI AS THEY REALLY DO NOT COME OUT WITH IMPRESSIVE PRODUCTS. I THINK SWIFT HAS MANAGED TO IMPRESS ME AND IT IS THE FIRST TIME THAT MUL HAS BEEN ABLE TO BRING OUT SOMETHING FANTASTIC LOOKING WITH REASONABLE PRICE. NOW WAIT AND WATCH FOR WHAT THE ACTUAL OWNERS REPORT AS.

SHUBBHI
Old 28th May 2005, 15:20   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
I voted Tata, but why would voting for Hyundai qualify as a 'crazy' choice?
Why be defensive about a good manufacturer that makes excellent vehicles for the market and provides fantastic service?
Old 28th May 2005, 16:53   #44
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Rtech, I am not arguing on your choice but your justification. You disregarded other manufacturers for introducing over-priced SUVs and not launching anything significant. Yet, you provide similar reasons for choosing Hyundai?

What significant accomplishment has Hyundai got in this time span i.e. June 2004 to May 2005.

GTO
Old 28th May 2005, 17:14   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Why be defensive about a good manufacturer that makes excellent vehicles for the market and provides fantastic service?
Because when I first read the topic, my first thought was Skoda and Honda. Thats why after a bit of thought I found my decision to be different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Rtech, I am not arguing on your choice but your justification. You disregarded other manufacturers for introducing over-priced SUVs and not launching anything significant. Yet, you provide similar reasons for choosing Hyundai?
Well, if you are refering to the Innova, Toyota could easily have priced it lower, but they wanted to make a point with the high price. Hyundai on the other hand would gladly price their Tuscon lower if they could, however the duty structure on SKD's do not permit that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
What significant accomplishment has Hyundai got in this time span i.e. June 2004 to May 2005.
They did introduce the Getz, which although not too popular (and which i actually forgot to mention in my earlier post even though I was thinking of it when I wrote that! ), is still a great car with great packaging for not too much money. This again was the first "premium" hatchback in the market, hence the luke warm market response was expected.

So that's why I voted them in. they opened the doors to a new segment and introduced a great SUV in the higher segment. That, coupled with the aformentioned after-sales service and warranties mean edge the others this year.

Look at it this way - Honda and Toyota had a brand name to assist, so they can get away with almost anything in India, Hyundai don't have that but still manage to pull it off.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks