Nissan India 0 0%
Maini Engineering 2 2.35%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2005, 17:32   #46
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Well, if you are refering to the Innova, Toyota could easily have priced it lower, but they wanted to make a point with the high price. Hyundai on the other hand would gladly price their Tuscon lower if they could, however the duty structure on SKD's do not permit that.
Thats what me and you would like to believe. I , for one, dont think that the Innova is over-priced at all.

Quote:
This again was the first "premium" hatchback in the market,
I think the Palio 1.6 GTX deserves that title. It matches or beats the Getz in price, size, power and equipment.

Quote:
Honda and Toyota had a brand name to assist, so they can get away with almost anything in India, Hyundai don't have that but still manage to pull it off.
Hyundai would not be that far behind in brand value - if at all in India.

GTO

P.S. Relax, I am just giving you a hard time cos being at work on a saturday evening S-U-C-K-S
Old 28th May 2005, 19:32   #47
BHPian

Its absolutely Tata Motors. This was the year where after coming out of the dead of the market they established themselves at the helm of sales in all segments. Giving the majority of the country a good and practicle car to choose from. Be it the Indica, Indigo, Safari, Sumo and now the Marina.

They went out of the country and took bought over Daewoo truck and bus manufacturing units. This thus is the company taking on the world proving the strengths in India.
Old 28th May 2005, 20:40   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They did introduce the Getz, which although not too popular (and which i actually forgot to mention in my earlier post even though I was thinking of it when I wrote that! ), is still a great car with great packaging for not too much money. This again was the first "premium" hatchback in the market, hence the luke warm market response was expected.
Sorry to hear Rtech, but Getz is definitely overpriced. You forgot to mention Elantra which was launched last May. Either ways, look at their sales. If thats not all, Hyundai have had to correct their price structure. Which is why, Maruti has played it safe and gone sensible with Swift's pricing.

Hyundai have also had a bad year. Their sales have stagnated, have lost marketshares in all except the B-segment, have had production issues due to export commitments. It clearly has been their worst year since their entry into the Indian market.

Innova is a tad expensive... yes i would have liked if they'd brought down the price by a good 50k on each model. But either ways, the Innova have all the ingredients that suit typical Indian conditions. Indians want a vehicle that looks decent, is comfortable, practical, easy on the wallet to run and maintain, has decent power and reasonably good resale value and service network. The Innova satisfies all these conditions and offers much more. Infact so much more... that it doesn't seem overpriced once you buy and live with it.

Hell, the Skoda Octavia is overpriced. At 13 lakhs, it is a total ripoff considering that all they are giving you is a 10 year old design and just a turbodiesel(no CRDi) with not so good rear-space and parts that are outright expensive and a service network which really isn't all that great.

Revv

P.S. Have a cut in my abdomen and it hurts... which is why i am going hard on you.Relax.
Old 29th May 2005, 15:24   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvmaster
The original poster would appreciate if you did read up a bit.

Revv
Revvmaster,

I am in the communication business. And I thought I should give you some honest feedback. But you don't seem to like it. That's ok.

First of all, your definition of 'year' June to May is not standard. It is neither a calander year nor a financial year. So, not the best time of the year to ask the question.

Secondly, if I take your suggestion and 'read up a bit', it certainly won't help! I have to actually remember the various dates of launches.

Can you believe someone voting for Maruti simply because, they launched a new vehicle in the 52nd week of 'your' year? We don't even know whether it will be a hit or a flop!

If you want accurate answer to your questions, you should stop relying on people's memory. But then it's your choice.
Old 29th May 2005, 16:39   #50
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
I think the Palio 1.6 GTX deserves that title. It matches or beats the Getz in price, size, power and equipment.
Nah, I think that was the first Hot hatch. The Palio would not clasify as a premium hatch.

Quote:
Innova is a tad expensive... yes i would have liked if they'd brought down the price by a good 50k on each model. But either ways, the Innova have all the ingredients that suit typical Indian conditions. Indians want a vehicle that looks decent, is comfortable, practical, easy on the wallet to run and maintain, has decent power and reasonably good resale value and service network. The Innova satisfies all these conditions and offers much more. Infact so much more... that it doesn't seem overpriced once you buy and live with it.
All that it may be, but I still don't like the arrogance of them to price it the way they did. And the living with it part, well, I don't foresee one of these ugly things in my driveway, unless I decide to get into the Taxi business.

Your point on the Skoda being a bit long in tooth is taken (although at 11.5 lakhs, you get a lot of car for the money) and is exactly what I mentioned. That's why I didn't give them my vote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
P.S. Relax, I am just giving you a hard time cos being at work on a saturday evening S-U-C-K-S
Quote:
P.S. Have a cut in my abdomen and it hurts... which is why i am going hard on you.Relax.
P.s. Relax. I'm just pissed off that its a Sunday and I'm sitting in office AND missing the grand prix!
Old 30th May 2005, 00:50   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minardi
Revvmaster,

I am in the communication business. And I thought I should give you some honest feedback. But you don't seem to like it. That's ok.

First of all, your definition of 'year' June to May is not standard. It is neither a calander year nor a financial year. So, not the best time of the year to ask the question.

If you want accurate answer to your questions, you should stop relying on people's memory. But then it's your choice.
Hey Minardi... i am in the communication business as well... and maybe you should not have read into to it too literally. We make that mistake as human beings of being impulsive and i grant you that one. That statement was never intended at pulling your leg.

Either ways, i am not expecting anyone here to be inch perfect with days and dates, neither an accurate answer... the period is just an indicator. Yes, it doesn't represent a financial year or a calendar year. It is just to give things a sense of structure for the purpose that's all.

Since most people have put in their comments, your comment on what you think about the industry during the last 12 odd months would be most appreciated. Its just a feel thing, its not that we are giving away any trophy to any company for its achievements. Otherwise i would have given you a complete dossier on the industry as well as a structured set of parameters to judge the companies on.

Just put in your feelings and thats it. Its as simple as that.

Revv
Old 30th May 2005, 09:13   #52
BHPian

That's fine Revvmaster! No hard feelings. I only remembered the Toyota's launch of the Innova and hence voted for Toyota. I fee the Innova is quite a success, and if I don't remember any thing significant from other manufacturers, then I guess they don't deserve my vote for the 'manufacturer of the year' award.

Cheers
Old 30th May 2005, 10:16   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Hyundai would not be that far behind in brand value - if at all in India.
It is. It is the primary reason elantra does not sell. If Honda had come out with a car with everything same including the price, it would have sold better. Hyundai is giving 4 years warranty and a 70K cash discount and still it sells around 200/mo.
Same thing will happen with the new sonata. Rip off or not, sonata is a great car. All auto magazines including bsmotoring have praised the car as per features and performance. If you look at bang for the buck, it gives you everything the accord has and more. But no brandname. To sell a car for 10L or more you need to be European, Japanese or American. Korea is rated below america too! Infact brand image of Hyundai is only slightly better than Tata. They need to improve that and understand that people see them as the poor and not-so-rich mans car maker.
My Vote went to Tata for understanding that and also taking care of the "poor man" with a more powerful engine, improved after sales service and improvement in quality.
Old 30th May 2005, 10:51   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Same thing will happen with the new sonata. Rip off or not, sonata is a great car. All auto magazines including bsmotoring have praised the car as per features and performance
Also I would like to point one more thing is that about the FEEL
personan pying 15L wants to feel luxury I am talking about *FEEL*
Sonata might offer great feature not found in anyone but unless & untill it feels luxury no one will buy it & this is the one thing I think Hyundai seem to be bad at.

As for TATA the thing I appreciate the most is that they came to know that being a relatively new company they can not take with big boys head to head product wise so they improved their customer support
really appreciate it
Old 31st May 2005, 04:56   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adya33
Also I would like to point one more thing is that about the FEEL
personan pying 15L wants to feel luxury I am talking about *FEEL*
Sonata might offer great feature not found in anyone but unless & untill it feels luxury no one will buy it & this is the one thing I think Hyundai seem to be bad at.

The Sonata has to have something really special for that 15 lacs price tag. Be it all the equipment, be it the 3.3L V6, atleast something that would put an Honda Accord buyer to think about it. And believe me its going to be difficult for Hyundai.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks