Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2005, 17:05   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_lover
(Octavia and Jetta are both based on the same platform )
Octavia is based on the Golf platform (which is probably why it gets cramped in the rear with that boot), but it could well be that the Jetta is based on the same. Need to check it out.
Old 31st May 2005, 17:09   #17
BHPian

I also read that in a paper today. What makes me happy is that i will have many options when i have to buy a car again.
Old 31st May 2005, 17:11   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Octavia is based on the Golf platform (which is probably why it gets cramped in the rear with that boot), but it could well be that the Jetta is based on the same. Need to check it out.
The Octavia is a jetta with a different grile, different rims, and some slighty different headlights..other that, all the same. Same with the Superb too (that would be the VW Passat).
Old 31st May 2005, 17:16   #19
Senior - BHPian

The platform is called the A4 platform

Jetta shares platform with the current Octavia ,A3, TT, Seat Toledo , Golf and Beetle
Old 31st May 2005, 17:17   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
If my memory serves me right, the Jetta/Bora is just the 3-box (booted) version of the Golf.

Back to the topic, the Fox looks a bit staid compared to its competitors (the Swift, and maybe the Getz and the Palio). Though I am sure it will reek of VW quality.

Also, the Fox has a 1.4l 75bhp turbo-diesel with VW's Pumpe Duse technology as one of its engine options. If VW can bring it to the market quickly, they might beat the competition in bringing in a modern, contemporary diesel option.
Old 31st May 2005, 17:20   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjacob
Also, the Fox has a 1.4l 75bhp turbo-diesel with VW's Pumpe Duse technology as one of its engine options.
the Polo comes with the same engine option ..
Old 31st May 2005, 17:23   #22
Senior - BHPian

This brings up the very pertinent question - where does VW place itself in the market w.r.t pricing?

Skoda have already priced themselves at a premium in the market, occupying price points which VW products should logically be placed at. Obviously VW cannot price itself below Skoda, so where does it leave them? Consider this - the Octavia is pretty close to the likes of the Accord in pricing, so where would the plonk the Jetta (assuming this model is brought in) - cost of an Accord?

I guess they will have to steer clear of segments currently occupied by Skoda and concentrate on the others. So if VW comes in with a hatchback, what happens to the future of the Fabia?

I'd like to see this unfolding...
Old 31st May 2005, 18:20   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I guess they will have to steer clear of segments currently occupied by Skoda and concentrate on the others. So if VW comes in with a hatchback, what happens to the future of the Fabia?
THis is precisly what took VW so long to enter the Indian market. They tested the waters with an unknown brand which, I think, got more sucess then they imagined it would. Now they are in a fix. Worldwide, VW is trying to move upmarket, so launching a low price hatch (even if that was possible) would be out of sync with their worldwide strategy and embarassing for them to have Skoda being considered superior in India.

Then again, would India accept a Rs.17 lakh VW if they were to launch one? I doubt it. So what do they do? Any guesses??
Old 31st May 2005, 18:34   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
Then again, would India accept a Rs.17 lakh VW if they were to launch one? I doubt it. So what do they do? Any guesses??
It should be very much possible with clever marketing. VW could establish an obscure brand like Skoda and sold C+ segment cars at 10-12 Lakhs. I am sure they can sell 17 lakh car if marketed correctly. (Like GM sold with "German Engineering" tag for Opel cars). Creating VW brand in India is critical and better said than done.
Old 31st May 2005, 19:33   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza
The Octavia is a jetta with a different grile, different rims, and some slighty different headlights..other that, all the same. Same with the Superb too (that would be the VW Passat).
Are you sure? I had driven my friend's Passat on many occasions. I thought it is much smaller than the Superb here(I could not try Superb). Passat was defenitely smaller than Camry & Accord.
Old 31st May 2005, 20:27   #26
BHPian

Yeah i read the news about the FOX entering the indian market too.. Well, i've seen the FOX parked in the parking lot of my apartment complex in US last year.. Guy's trust me, you can easily pass off that vehicle as another M800.. But maybe that was an older model..

Jetta and Passat don't stand a chance in the Indian market with the Corollas, NHC and Skoda doing the honors?? By-the-way, isn't the Skoda a part of the VW family..

The new VW Beetle stands a good chance of being a hit amongst the females.. My wife loves that car soooo much..
Old 31st May 2005, 20:40   #27
Senior - BHPian

VW beetle will again cost way too much if launched. If they said it wasnt as spacious as the price warranted in western countries, god knows what they'll say here!!

Remember when BMW, asked about how much the Mini would cost if sold here, replied above 10 lakhs???
Old 1st June 2005, 03:10   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadas
Are you sure? I had driven my friend's Passat on many occasions. I thought it is much smaller than the Superb here(I could not try Superb). Passat was defenitely smaller than Camry & Accord.
Superb is nothing but a stretched Passat. Fabia and Polo share the same platform.....VW's brand positioning is higher than Skoda and therefore Polo should be more expensive than Fabia. The new Fox is based on the now discontinued VW Lupo. Lupo 1.4T tdi held the record for the highest FE ever achieved.....33 kpl !
Old 1st June 2005, 07:18   #29
Senior - BHPian

I thought an Accord diesel held the record, I remember reading about the record in some magazine.
Old 1st June 2005, 08:35   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by islero
I thought an Accord diesel held the record, I remember reading about the record in some magazine.
The Accord CTDi 2.2 held the record for the max. average speed by a diesel over a 24 hour endurance test. Doubt if it did for the best fuel efficiency for a diesel production car.

Lupo was called the 3L car since it was designed to travel 100km over 3L.

Revv

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks