Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2009, 00:49   #31
Team-BHP Support

The Alto with the A-star 1.0L KB engine is going to be a real pocket rocket. Small size good handling with that super efficient but peppy engine.
Old 11th May 2009, 11:39   #32
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Fab scoop, Sid! I see some hiccups in the equation:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Maruti omni to get a new 3 cylinder 4 valves per cylinder Euro 4 engine exclusively for our market based on KB series but with SOHC and an all new interior with cosmetic changes, expected first quarter 2010. F8B engine will be eventually phased out.

Maruti 800-officially phased out
Maruti could easily plonk the Omni's new engine in the 800. However, they want the Alto to entirely take over the 800's position (an objective that is 90% achieved at the moment).

Quote:
Maruti Zen Estilo- to get Ritz's KB series 1.2 engine with 73 bhp from march 2010 with a minor cosmetic change on the cards. F10D engine phased out.
The Estilo ought to be discontinued. What a waste of production capacity & showroom space.

Quote:
Maruti Wagon R-same engine as the Ritz with 73 bhp instead of 85 to keep costs down. Expected February 2010. F10D engine phased out.
I've driven this engine and can tell you that it's one of the best engines Maruti has ever made. Undoubtedly one of the best small-capacity motors in our market.

Quote:
Alto-will get the A-star's 1.0L 3 cylinder KB series engine, price rise will be pretty high,
Wrong thinking on Maruti's part. Alto will be the new entry-point Maruti to the masses. As such, it will be very price sensitive. They must make the 796cc current engine emissions-compliant.

Quote:
Swift/ Swift dzire petrol to get 1.3 litre M series engine with DOHC (scaled down version of SX4 engine). If costs are not in control, the same engine as the ritz will power these cars.
The Ritz 1.2L engine is perfectly suited to the Swift.

Quote:
SX4-petrol M series to get VVT tech (variable valve timing) (code: M16A VVT) in march 2010.
Atleast a couple more horses? Fantastic!

Quote:
SX4 DDIS expected in june 2010 with 1.6 DDIS engine with 110 bhp.
Woo-hoo! It'll rock the 9 lakh rupee segment. A diesel is the only answer that the SX4 can have to the Honda City.

Quote:
versa-new version on the cards with a KB series engine in second half of 2010.
A car that is best discontinued.

Quote:
Grand vitara- 2.4 litre petrol engine with VVT coming in july 2009.
The current engine is a major fly in the Vitara ointment. Let's hope the 2.4 is a free-revving Jap unit.
Old 11th May 2009, 11:58   #33
BHPian

There's something in today's (May 11) Business Standard regarding Maruti R&D having found a way of making the current 800 / Omni engine BS IV compliant.

Maruti's Head of Engineering says it will now be a Maruti Marketing department call, whether to withdraw the 800 / Omni from the 11 metro markets, or not.

Article can be found here : After Omni, Maruti 800 may not be phased out

After Omni, Maruti 800 may not be phased out
Swaraj Baggonkar / Mumbai May 11, 2009, 0:48 IST

The model’s engine being upgraded to comply with BS IV norms

The car that revolutionised the personal mode of transport about a couple of decades ago — Maruti 800 — may well get a new lease of life as engineers at Maruti Suzuki seem to have found a way to keep the car on the road even beyond the official deadline set by the company to phase it out

Engineers at Maruti Suzuki India (MSIL), the country’s biggest car maker by volume, can upgrade the engine that powers the car to comply with the Bharat Stage (BS) IV emission norms set to kick in by April next year

Little more than a month ago, MSIL had issued a statement declaring that the M800 would be phased out from 11 cities by 2010 and the entire country by 2015-16 due to its inability to upgrade the engine owing to cost factors.

I V Rao, managing executive officer (engineering), MSIL, said: “We can do some after-treatment on the engine of the M800 which will help it take on the BS IV norm

“The decision of phasing out the car completely lies with our marketing team. If they find it unviable, we will have to stop its (M800’s) production,” he added

Additionally, another MSIL dark horse — the Omni — was also set to be phased out around the same time. However, the recent spurt is demand for the vehicle, which is classified as a multi-purpose vehicle (MPV), has prompted the company to roll back its decision

Both the Omni and M800 share the same 796cc, petrol-fired, 3-cylinder MPFI engine, with two valves per cylinder. However, the M800 is calibrated for extra power at 37 bhp, while the Omni delivers peak power of 35 bhp

According to company officials, the Omni will continue to remain under production even as its engine is getting fine-tuned to adhere to the new emission regulations.[/

It is noted here that a large chunk of M800 sales come from the rural and semi-rural markets, where the car figures as the ‘first buy’ in many families

The cost of ownership of the M800 and Omni are the lowest in India and around the world. Due to its low cost of running and the easy availability of spare parts at cheaper prices, both cars continue to give Maruti respectable numbers every month, although there has been a huge decline recently.

The M800 sells about 2,500-3,000 units every month, while the Omni sells about 5,000 units

Launched in 1983, the M800 has sold over 2.7 million units and was the highest selling car for MSIL until recently when the Alto took the lead.

Last edited by FourWheelDrift : 11th May 2009 at 12:01.
Old 11th May 2009, 12:19   #34
Senior - BHPian

Giving a new engine to Alto is good. It was time to have new engines with increased efficiency instead of after treatment to make them compliant with emission norms.
Old 11th May 2009, 17:06   #35
BHPian

I've waited so long for the SX4 diesel, and now I may be leaving the country, relocating so to speak. I have now set my sights higher, if all goes well a BMW should grace my garage ( if i have one) in a couple of years.
Old 11th May 2009, 17:59   #36
BHPian

I wonder what is driving Maruti to continue selling the Zen Estilo, considering that most people now have already started to confuse an Estilo with a Nano!

WagonR production is justified in some way because of its LPG variant which sells well and I suppose that in semi-urban/rural markets, a WagonR is perceived to be 'robust' compared to other Marutis.
Old 11th May 2009, 19:14   #37
BHPian

This one hell of a scoop.
This can put tehelka.com to shame
Old 11th May 2009, 23:14   #38
BHPian

BBC News - May 11

BBC NEWS | Business | Suzuki boosted by sales in India

India gave profit to Suzuki, when it made losses everywhere else.
May be, Suzuki should give India in return, some nice engines and up-to-date models.
Old 12th May 2009, 02:07   #39
Senior - BHPian

Great Scoop as usual, boss. Hats off!

SX4 DDIS will rule the diesel sedan market, despite long waiting periods, even if there is a 1.6 MJD Linea by then. It could be a repeat of the Swift D success story.

The current 1.3 MJD is Euro 4 in the Palio, IIRC. Tweaking it shouldn't be an issue at all, I guess.

What Maruti needs is a good diesel for the Grand Vitara to make it successful in India. With a better petrol, it will probably only reduce the market share of the CR-V and Outlander. With a diesel, it could have slotted in between Safari VX and the Endeavour, and affected both as well.

Much as we love the 800, it has been practically replaced by the Alto in the A-class cities for the last 3 years or so anyways. It is farewell time for it. IMO, even the Omni deserves to be phased out and replaced by something better.
Old 12th May 2009, 12:32   #40
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
What Maruti needs is a good diesel for the Grand Vitara to make it successful in India
Will be more popular, yes, but compared to it's current (dismal) sales, any increase gives it double digit growth! Maruti is gonna have to work on the interior finesse, diesel engine and accurate positioning if it is serious about the Vitara. Going to take a lot to take away customers from current diesel SUV favorites : Endeavour, Pajero & Captiva.
Old 15th May 2009, 14:39   #41
BHPian

i thought Suzuki had an 800cc 3 cylinder KB series engine which will go in to Alto. Also WagonR and Estilo will get the K10B engine from Astar. Swift and may be even DZire will get the K12M engine from Ritz. This way all engines will have sufficient numbers to keep the costs under check.
Old 15th May 2009, 17:36   #42
Senior - BHPian

Confirmed Launch of 1.9 DDIS in a vehicle in Jan 2010.
Old 15th May 2009, 17:59   #43
BANNED

Quote:
Confirmed Launch of 1.9 DDIS in a vehicle in Jan 2010.
Is it in SX4? But what you told in the starting post is:

"SX4 DDIS expected in june 2010 with 1.6 DDIS engine with 110 bhp."

Will Grand Vitara get this 1.9 DDiS? Or, Kizashi coming sooner than expected?

What I heard is 1.6 DDiS is better than 1.9 DDiS.

Confusion, confusion, confusion!!!
Old 15th May 2009, 18:31   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Is it in SX4? But what you told in the starting post is:

"SX4 DDIS expected in june 2010 with 1.6 DDIS engine with 110 bhp."

Will Grand Vitara get this 1.9 DDiS? Or, Kizashi coming sooner than expected?

What I heard is 1.6 DDiS is better than 1.9 DDiS.

Confusion, confusion, confusion!!!

SX4 1.9 DDis. Yes, I posted the launch timing but I have also mentioned that information may change if it is there.

This thread will be updated from time to time in case any new info comes.
Old 15th May 2009, 19:40   #45
BHPian

Quote:
SX4 1.9 DDis. Yes, I posted the launch timing but I have also mentioned that information may change if it is there.

This thread will be updated from time to time in case any new info comes.

Great info sidindica Hope you manage to get some updates on the Gypsy also. Joining all the others who are anxiously waiting to know the plans for the Gypsy.

Keep up the good work buddy!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks