Team-BHP - Why is Ritz VDi more expensive than the Swift VDi ?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Why is Ritz VDi more expensive than the Swift VDi ? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/59605-why-ritz-vdi-more-expensive-than-swift-vdi-2.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhorn (Post 1326983)
*Cough* Zen D*cough*Peugeot TUD5*Cough* :D

but agree, maruti managed these scales only with the diesel swift

Also the Esteem D with the same engine. Both have been discontinued.

Hi Guys!

I am true fan of Maruti but I think Maruti has again goofed up with the Ritz.
I think the last good car option they had given us was in 2005 which is the swift. And ever since the company has been a 1 car wonder.

The Estillo, dezire, SX4(to a lesser extent) and the A* are all cars that are well below par compared to the swift.

Hyundai has taken advantage of their laid back attitude and have made a killing with the i10. So the roads are full of only swifts and i10s.

With the Ritz I was hoping that finally Maruti has something that will counter the i10, the A* was too cramped and was never a competition for the i10.
But the pricing of Ritz is such that it will only eat into swifts sales and i10 will still sell like hot cakes :Frustrati.

Let me know what you guys think.

Cheers,
Nitin

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...han-swift.html

we're discussing the ritz's positioning here :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedrolourenco (Post 1327007)
Also the Esteem D with the same engine. Both have been discontinued.

the esteem is not a hatch :p

Front end of a swift and the rear of an i10, what were they expecting? Not to forget how the gear is up front like the i10.

I've been a loyal maruti customer, but I hope the ritz fails. Why anyone would choose it over the swift I'll never understand.
I am 5,11" and the rear legroom of the swift isn't as bad as people say. The pros of the swift totally outweigh the little cons.

Whats going to happen to the ritz when the new swift comes eh?

Mods note: Thread merged.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gagan.js (Post 1327119)
Front end of a swift and the rear of an i10, what were they expecting? Not to forget how the gear is up front like the i10.

I've been a loyal maruti customer, but I hope the ritz fails. Why anyone would choose it over the swift I'll never understand.
I am 5,11" and the rear legroom of the swift isn't as bad as people say. The pros of the swift totally outweigh the little cons.

New swift?? I never knew that maruti was coming up with New swift any ways coming back to ritz , delhi is a place where you see new cars flooding the road within days of launch but i'm sorry to say that i've managed to see only 2-3 ritz after the launch.

A rational thinking person will agree with the thread starter, but in India ugly and Maruti go together. It will sell well. Check out my own garage, so i'm not preaching. The only saving grace is i did not purchase the Estilo!. I know my Maruti dealer had enough cash deposits in the first week of the Ritz release. He was grinning all over. So be it.The K12M engine is awesome, though and that was the only reason i went for a test drive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by revhappy (Post 1327106)
Hi Guys!

I am true fan of Maruti but I think Maruti has again goofed up with the Ritz.
I think the last good car option they had given us was in 2005 which is the swift. And ever since the company has been a 1 car wonder.

The Estillo, dezire, SX4(to a lesser extent) and the A* are all cars that are well below par compared to the swift.

Hyundai has taken advantage of their laid back attitude and have made a killing with the i10. So the roads are full of only swifts and i10s.

With the Ritz I was hoping that finally Maruti has something that will counter the i10, the A* was too cramped and was never a competition for the i10.
But the pricing of Ritz is such that it will only eat into swifts sales and i10 will still sell like hot cakes :Frustrati.

Let me know what you guys think.

Cheers,
Nitin

Sorry, but my thoughts are exactly opposite to yours.

Ritz is a car that promises to be a bestseller. Why ? Its built on the same platform as the Swift, is more spacious , has contemporary looks, and last but not the least, has stonker of a Engine - both Petrol and Diesel.

The Ritz is everything the A-Star wasn't. It scores highly on practicality. Look how the practical tall boy cars have performed in the market in the past - Santro, WagonR were huge successes. Even today, these "outdated" models have so many takers. The common man does not care as much about stylish looks or extraordinary performance or great handling. Rather, a decent mix of all these, coupled with high practicality, decent boot, ease of ingress and egress, great visibility are some of the reasons i expect Ritz to do exceedingly well.

Already in NCR, i am seeing 2-3 Ritz everyday ! Speaks a lot about how well the market has reacted to this hatch, even in days of recession !

Kudos to Maruti for yet again, after a long time, bringing a Practical hatchback. Way to go!

Our Indian Market is more or less company driven rather than customer driven.
I agree that they have good Network/Service but still. Many people are there who believe/trust MSIL blindly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhorn (Post 1327116)
the esteem is not a hatch :p

I never said it was. Pavan said that all Maruti Diesels have Fiat engines. You mentioned the Pegeout engine in the Zen D and I said the same engine was in the Esteem too. I was just referring to that particular engine. In fact the same engine was also used on the Accent DLS and of course on the 309.

What he actually said was
Quote:

Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM (Post 1326967)
all the Maruti diesel hatchbacks run on Fiat engines:D

;)

Trying to apply logic to maruti products is useless. They know that the demand for their mid end products is inelastic, so they can get away with a lot of things, as long as competitors like tata dont improve their QC/A.S.S, and Hyundai offer diesel hatches without the intention of actually selling them

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhorn (Post 1327214)
What he actually said was
;)

Trying to apply logic to maruti products is useless. They know that the demand for their mid end products is inelastic, so they can get away with a lot of things, as long as competitors like tata dont improve their QC/A.S.S, and Hyundai offer diesel hatches without the intention of actually selling them

Yea I saw his posts. He was referring to the present day diesels. Anyway I agree with the second part of your post totally.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM (Post 1326967)
If you need to know, and For Your Information,:uncontrol all the Maruti diesel hatchbacks run on Fiat engines

Can anyone confirm this? I always thought it was an engine jointly developed by Fiat/Suzuki and GM.

IMHO price is never an issue for the indian buyer today, if this was so, the M800 would still have been the largest selling car today. I think that the only reason why alto is the highest selling car in India is because there is a cheaper car below it.( wont be surprised to see a spurt in 800 numbers after people have waited for the nano > 6-7 months)

Nyways for a person buying on EMI for 5-7 years, Rs.1 lac extra is just about +RS.1600 on the installment, SWEET! (porsche anyone?)lol:

Back to Ritz, now that it has been established in this thread that it is actually cheaper than Swift VDi, i would like to point out how it actually is very much a pretty good option for a typical indian customer today ----
good Legroom - head room -> yes
decent boot space (hatchback) ->yes
good fuel efficiency -> yes
good engine power & refinement -> yes (rather excellent)
most contempory design in market -> yes
airbags and abs -> yes
good after sales service -> yes
easy availability of parts assurance -> yes

Tell me something MAJOR that is missing here (apart from dirt attracting and eye glare inducing beige interiors). Hence i guess the price is justified. Anyways today some dealers are actually charging (and customers willingly paying) upto 50K premium for Swift VDI, hence at this price the Ritz is actually a steal...clap:( more so if you compare to the highly priced and highly underpowered and highly impractical 1-20, the worldwide GETZ replacement--same segment)

Just wait for a month, I reckon you will see much more than 2-3 ritzs in a day.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gagan.js (Post 1327119)

As of today the swift is a 4 year old design as and when the new swift comes in 2010 or 11 it may be costlier than the present model.In Europe both Swift and the Ritz(Splash there) co exist.So i am sure Maruti has a definite gameplan for both these models In India.There are a lot of new car buyers who were looking for an alternative to swift but were not happy with the options available in that price bracket.So looking at the brand and resale alone there will be a lot more buyers for Ritz+Swift than for Swift alone.