Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2009, 19:39   #286
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivar1951 View Post
My brother, who lives in the USA, says that Chevrolet does not command much respect there these days. People prefer to stick to Toyota and Honda instead. However, he says he is not sure about Chevrolet India and its Cruze.
In USA, Toyota, Mitsubishi and Honda sell their best products at throwaway prices;
In India, they sell their trash at humongous prices.
Hence the difference and misconception!
BTW, in India, Hyundai, Suzuki and Chevy are at least offering us value for money vehicles when compared to Honda, Mitsubishi and Toyota.

Last edited by 1-Testosterone : 25th September 2009 at 19:52.
Old 25th September 2009, 19:53   #287
BHPian

The new Chevy Malibu looks good IMHO. But then again, when it comes to long term reliability and maintenance costs, no one can beat the Japs.

Engine of fairly new Malibu sounds harsh when compared to 5 yr old Accord!!
There is some reason why Jap cars command respect. I think they deserve it.
Old 25th September 2009, 20:13   #288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-Testosterone View Post
In USA, Toyota, Mitsubishi and Honda sell their best products at throwaway prices;
In India, they sell their trash at humongous prices.
Hence the difference and misconception!
BTW, in India, Hyundai, Suzuki and Chevy are at least offering us value for money vehicles when compared to Honda, Mitsubishi and Toyota.
Very well said. Thanks.
Old 25th September 2009, 20:17   #289
BHPian

It is not right to blame any foreign car brand for high car prices in India. When a car is sold in India, whether the manufacturer makes any margin or not, Indian government makes at least 30% margin over the car's true price. The govt. margin increases significantly as the import-content increases in the car. It is the govt that makes the car prices look absurd in Indian market and not the manufacturer.

Consider this : When a Toyota Altis GL is sold in Bangalore, the following taxes are added
1. A 12.5% VAT on sale price = Rs. 153000 (this is included in MRP)
2. A 17.6% Road Tax on post-VAT MRP = Rs. 215000

So, a net tax of Rs. 368000 is charged for a pre-VAT car price of Rs. 1070000. This is about 34% - that's govt's margin on point-of-sale alone. Now add all the import duty, excise and other taxes govt charged on the same car for its components, engine size and what not. All added up, the total tax outgo on an Altis will easily cross over 50%. No wonder, these cars depreciate so fast in India (compared to US) - Tax has little residual value.
Similar math works for all cars sold in India. If you take out all the manufacturing/import/size/sale/road taxes, you will see most (if not all) cars look quite competitive on pricing when compared to international standards.
Old 25th September 2009, 20:48   #290

Good point sabynag.

Add to that lack of availability of raw material like galvanized steel. Ford imports it from Thailand.
So, it is much more expensive for the manufacturer to have competitive pricing (i.e. with intl. standard).
Old 26th September 2009, 10:51   #291
BHPian

Voiceover is in german [i think] but the visuals are awesome.
Old 1st October 2009, 06:26   #292
BHPian

I spoke to a dealer in Pune and they say that the cars will be ready for a TD on the 12th of Oct! I cant wait!
The car has been launched in South Africa. They have setup a great website for it
The all-new Chevrolet Cruze

On another note, I was looking at the Petes tuning Box site earlier today, they seem to have extracted 370NM of Torque out of the Diesel pot on the Captiva and 170Hp[from the stock 320/150]. Since the engine is pretty much the same on the Cruze an educated guess tells me that the same tuning box in the Cruze will make it a rocketship...if it wasnt one already [ http://www.petes.in/images/captiva.xls ]!

One thing that confuses me is that all the TV reviews and Mag previews say that the car has 2 airbags. The Brochure says it has 4[2front+2front_side]. Can anyone shed more light on this?
Old 1st October 2009, 08:58   #293
BHPian

[quote=thegman;1509410]I spoke to a dealer in Pune and they say that the cars will be ready for a TD on the 12th of Oct! I cant wait!
The car has been launched in South Africa. They have setup a great website for it

According to this link. the 1.8 AT/T Petrol, the top model, costs Rs 15.50 lakh in SA. If Cruze 2.0 diesel M/T is priced around Rs 13 lakh, as is rumoured, Chevrolet my have many care-makers sweating.
Old 1st October 2009, 11:27   #294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegman View Post
I
One thing that confuses me is that all the TV reviews and Mag previews say that the car has 2 airbags. The Brochure says it has 4[2front+2front_side]. Can anyone shed more light on this?
It has just 2 airbags, Driver and Passenger.

The Teasers of Cruze are on TV, does any one have it?
Old 1st October 2009, 12:02   #295
Senior - BHPian

Ugly grills?

I find the chevy (Indian bound) vehicles to be very handsome except for the grill design, which look completely out of tune with the current design trend. They ressemble the massive grills found on Americans trucks.
Old 1st October 2009, 16:39   #296
BHPian

According to the dealer i spoke to in bombay the top of the line model shall cost 14.75 on road. He is taking bookings now and is also charging a premium of 1 lakh for diwali dlvy. There will be some preview for the car on the 7th is what he said. The cars have reached his showroom 10 days ago.
Old 1st October 2009, 16:46   #297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik1982 View Post
According to the dealer i spoke to in bombay the top of the line model shall cost 14.75 on road. He is taking bookings now and is also charging a premium of 1 lakh for diwali dlvy. There will be some preview for the car on the 7th is what he said. The cars have reached his showroom 10 days ago.
14.75L will make the Cruze a steal! It'll be cheaper than the Civic!
Old 4th October 2009, 18:28   #298

Chevy-Cruze to be priced between 12-14 L

Stumbled upon this article something to look forward to ?

GM's Cruze may be priced in Rs 12-14 lakh bracket- Consumer Life-The Sunday ET-Features-The Economic Times
Old 5th October 2009, 10:44   #299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeptonic View Post

This is one of the Best Interior Experience Website i have checked out for a car !

Old 6th October 2009, 11:56   #300
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The Team-BHP Chevy Cruze Test Report has been uploaded here. This thread is closed. Please continue all Cruze discussions at the TD link.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks