Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2009, 20:14   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
On the bright side, the product testing will be done on the UK Army not the Indian consumer.
Careful what you wish for! I have friends in UK Army who are my town

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
LRs know how in this segment is second to none, if Tata can combine this with their frugal engineering and pricing advantage, they have a winner in their hands. Also provided that Tata gets the quality of the product right.
LR's frugal engineering, Jag's quality and Tata's pricing

OT, the thread starter has gone bonkers.
Old 15th June 2009, 20:24   #17
Senior - BHPian

Obviously, I have way too much spare time on my hands

but not certified bonkers yet.

Question was, If tata could do so much with just a fiat collaboration, imagine what it can do with JLR, fiat and chrysler- they could be a huge auto industry alliance
Old 16th June 2009, 10:50   #18
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
tata can now potentially acess jeep, via fiat, which recently acquired it. Tata owns LR too, and is no stranger to making UV's . Tata can now make an authentic jeep clone in india
Some important considerations:

1. If an Indian company eventually buys the Jeep brand (whoever it is), they could certainly introduce modern Jeeps. The question is : At what price? Even if the engine is localised, don't expect a wrangler to sell for less than 12 - 14 lakhs (at the very minimum). The only reason Mahindra is able to price its Jeeps (Major etc.) in the 5 - 6 lakh rupee range is that they are antique platforms running absolutely basic mechanical / electrical systems. No ways a modern Jeep can retail for less than a million rupees.

2. Then, there's the question of whether a market exists for such a hard core 4x4 with extremely limited utility at 12 lakhs. Nope, I don't think so. Would a company even bother? Think about it....Mahindra practically has the 550 since 20 years, and is still dilly-dallying over whether to introduce it or not. Of course, with the offroading scene expanding, there may be a market in the distant future. But not at the moment.

The focus of Mahindra, Tata & any other UV player will be on people movers. For the time being, the offroaders amongst us will have to make do with old MM's, Gypsies & Gurkhas.
Old 23rd September 2009, 14:35   #19
Senior - BHPian

Did anyone read The interview with ratan tata in this months ACI? I believe he said that they(the fiat-Chrysler alliance) do have plans to make jeep in india
Old 23rd September 2009, 18:09   #20
BHPian

Jeep is Surely going to enter Indian market by end of 2010 or early 2011 (as said in Franfurt Motor Show) and will be sold along with FIAT cars in TATA Showrooms. Tata would not have any rights over Jeep. Only Royality will be given to them for selling them using their Dealer Network.
Just Hope FIAT does not do anything like they did with GP and Linea (bad interior quality).
Kepp your fingers crossed.........
Old 23rd September 2009, 18:41   #21
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

i agree with you completely
the market for hard core off roaders, leisure off roading etc is very limited here in India.
even the farming, plantation community make do with the old work horses - quite possibly because in India, one can still afford drivers and so on unlike in other countries where farmers, plantation owners typically do their own driving and hence want the creature comforts of a modern SUV coupled with the off road, go anywhere capability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Some important considerations:

1. If an Indian company eventually buys the Jeep brand (whoever it is), they could certainly introduce modern Jeeps. The question is : At what price? Even if the engine is localised, don't expect a wrangler to sell for less than 12 - 14 lakhs (at the very minimum). The only reason Mahindra is able to price its Jeeps (Major etc.) in the 5 - 6 lakh rupee range is that they are antique platforms running absolutely basic mechanical / electrical systems. No ways a modern Jeep can retail for less than a million rupees.

2. Then, there's the question of whether a market exists for such a hard core 4x4 with extremely limited utility at 12 lakhs. Nope, I don't think so. Would a company even bother? Think about it....Mahindra practically has the 550 since 20 years, and is still dilly-dallying over whether to introduce it or not. Of course, with the offroading scene expanding, there may be a market in the distant future. But not at the moment.

The focus of Mahindra, Tata & any other UV player will be on people movers. For the time being, the offroaders amongst us will have to make do with old MM's, Gypsies & Gurkhas.
Old 23rd September 2009, 19:47   #22
BHPian

What do you mean by "Jeep"?
Jeep is a brand owned by Chrysler, therefore TATA is not going to build any "jeeps"

If you meant a pick-up truck, then TATA has already built Xenon

The Xenon is far better than Mahindra pickups ever produced.
Old 23rd September 2009, 19:56   #23
Senior - BHPian

While the jeeps may not be branded tata, they could very well have a hand in the manufacture,
Old 23rd September 2009, 20:27   #24
Senior - BHPian

well after reading this thread, i wonder if dreams ever come true!

jeep (wranglers) cant be sold in india in large numbers to justify the economic profitability for the manufacturer (tata or mm).

its for these same economic reasons Thar is still not launched here in india and export models of tata and mm are much better equiped than indian models!

i would like to personally see a civillian version of indian army 4WD vehicle being launched in india, not a limited number Legend, but a Thar!
Old 23rd September 2009, 22:39   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oops View Post
Jeep is Surely going to enter Indian market by end of 2010 or early 2011 (as said in Franfurt Motor Show) and will be sold along with FIAT cars in TATA Showrooms. Tata would not have any rights over Jeep. Only Royality will be given to them for selling them using their Dealer Network.
Just Hope FIAT does not do anything like they did with GP and Linea (bad interior quality).
Kepp your fingers crossed.........
Chrysler before its association with Fiat, was in the process of setting up a plant in India. Not sure what vehicle they were planning to make there [ there is not much in Chrysler portfolio, that will attract Indian buyers, other than Jeeps] or when it will go to production. Also not sure, whether these products will be retailed thru Tata-Fiat showrooms. Once there are enough products in Fiat/Chrysler portfolio, probably they will start their own showrooms. Even then,Tata could benefit, as they will be able to provide components thru TACO[Tata Automotive Components], not only to Fiat/Chrysler's indian operations, but all thru the world.
Old 24th September 2009, 09:54   #26
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Some of these pie-in-sky threads are actually quite hilarious!

Agree fully with anshuman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
And it will be called Sumojee
Quote:
Originally Posted by nithinnarayanan View Post
Or may be called TATAJi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Careful what you wish for! I have friends in UK Army who are my town

LR's frugal engineering, Jag's quality and Tata's pricing

OT, the thread starter has gone bonkers.
This is one of the most hillarious one liner pipe dream threads ever.

Irrespective of a rope line hope to get crysler to provide Jeep to Tata under the Tata name (rather than fiat or crysler or Jeep itself), the price, and time lines are all dreams.

Min of 10L and min of 2011 mid if all other associations go well. And numbers - what numbers do we expect this to sell? It'll definately be a lfestyle vehicle, but then the Xenon itself is about 10L and it too did / does not sell.

Good fun this thread.
Old 24th September 2009, 18:22   #27
Senior - BHPian

Ok, now time to add a little of my own ignorance filled wisdom:

I dont think Tata needs Chrysler's help to design a rugged SUV or have to rebadge Jeeps if the market demands such a pure off road vehicle. The likes of Jeep/Defenders perform very well in their environments, but the trick is to keep the car technically simple yet rugged. Im pretty sure Tatas R&D are competitive enough to pull it of themselves when the need arises.

Why not take the soft top Spacio, cut short the overhangs & wheelbase, a new chrome front face (bling..bling...), 2.2 Dicor, rugged 'reliable' 4x4 powertrain, and there you have it a sub 5-6 lacs Indian Jeep.

Somebody pass the pipe!!
Old 25th September 2009, 01:57   #28
Senior - BHPian

Who needs a Jeep in India other than the OTR crowd? Its the people who live in hilly regions like Kerala, Coorg, Darjeling etc.

Back in the day the MM540 sold because there was no Bolero/Armada. Today the Bolero 4x4 can do all the mild off roading that MM used to .

Back to the Fiat-LR-Chrysler alliance.....there are only 2 vehicles in the world that retain the old school off roader feel. The Defender and the Wrangler. If Fiat-LR can figure out a way to
share that vehicle, expect huge cost savings. More so...if that product can be built in India by TATA.
Old 25th September 2009, 03:49   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
A defender with a safari powertrain would require atleast 10year warranty in international markets,imagine a blown engine in midst of some uk army mission.

TATA Motors has been supplying logistic and armoured vehicles for peacekeeping missions, not only to Indian defence forces, but also forces from other countries in the SAARC region. India is the third largest contributor to the UN peacekeeping operations.

So far, India has taken part in 43 peacekeeping missions, with more than 90,000 troops from all over the world, in various countries like Korea, Congo, Gaza, Somalia, Lebanon, Sudan, Liberia etc. TATA Motors vehicles have been part of most of these peacekeeping missions. These vehicles have been used across the globe in extreme operating conditions.

The first all-women contingent to serve in a peacekeeping mission was a police unit from India which was deployed in 2007 at the UN operations in Liberia. The unit was equipped with wheels provided by TATA Motors!

TATA Motors have also been supplying vehicles to the UN in various African countries, for their local missions.

Since 1958, Tata Motors has proudly provided over 100,000 vehicles to military and paramilitary forces of various countries around the world.

TATA Motors | Peacekeeping Missions
Old 11th January 2010, 07:08   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quite interesting thread though.

I always think why tata is not making a sumo 4X4.

I used to drive the Sumo Victa glx , the 407 engine is quite powerfull to get the 4x4 installed.

I love the position of the driver seat and the steering angle.

All threads are worthless with out any snaps, people who are well versed in Photoshop please make a Sumo 4X4

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks