Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which is the best C+ segment sedan around?
Fiat Linea 1.4 FIRE/ 1.3 Multijet 82 38.14%
Honda City 2009 1.5 S M/T 43 20.00%
Suzuki SX4 ZXi 26 12.09%
Ford Fiesta 1.6 S/ 1.4 TDCi 21 9.77%
Hyundai Verna VTVT SX 1.6/CRDi SX ABS 13 6.05%
Chevrolet Optra Magnum 1.6 LS 10 4.65%
Mitsubishi Lancer 1.5 LXi 1 0.47%
Mitsubishi Cedia 19 8.84%
Voters: 215. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2009, 16:02   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeash View Post
But the lopside is that it is the case of punto winning the sales chart over jazz
Hehe so the tables have been turned
Old 1st July 2009, 16:04   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VahanPujari View Post

1) Design, Platform or whatever convenient to quote, you mentioned the only association Fiat has with SX4 is engine. I just mentioned that there is some more association also. Period. One can not get into someone's mind what he was "intended" (while writing) which he'll quote post-facto/ later

2) Hmmm. So wikipedia is not reliable & people should believe those 2 linky's you posted as they're reliable. Why? Oh, because you are saying so.
1) Platform. It maily consists of three parts : Front sub assembly, cabin and rear sub assembly. Here changes to front sub assembly and rear subassembly are costly as it has suspension mounts and energy absorbing crumple zones too. The provision of energy absorbing zones at rear is not as prominent as in front.
So to increase wheelbase will not be as costly as modifying front and rear subassemblies. If a new platform is developed from a scratch, the desinging has to be done for front and rear subassemblies. This process is very costly in terms of monetory and time resources.
So I doubt that Fiat would put in money and resource for a platform that would give rise to only one car. Neither is Fiat aiming for huge number from Hungary plant. Why SX4 is only limited to Europe then if Fiat was involved in development of SX4 PLATFORM ?
An example : Gamma Platform developed by Fiat and GM. This is the platform that is base of Opel Corsa GP and Linea. Here both of them are getting good sales. Fiat could recover the investment of money they did in development phase.
Suzuki has sedan and hatchback with it. Ever wonder why Suzuki SX4 sedan is not sold under the brand of Fiat ?

2) Trust me, Wikipedia is not a complete guide to everything in case of automobiles. Type Body in White and you will not find a single image of what it is. Each and Every VVT is different, but on wikipedia you get details on very few. About SX4 its the same. The two links I have provided are also not jokes on internet. I really dont trust them when it comes to these things that are more political than technical.
Also try to find definition on Unitary construction, you will find less information on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
a) I guess Enough is Enough!!!
  1. GM typically has not been very strong in Europe and Asia and these alliances were to improve its fortune.
  2. Suzuki's expertise is small cars while Fiat's is engineering and medium hatchbacks and sedans.
  3. They combined their expertise to design the Fiat Sedici / Suzuki SX-4.
  4. During the GM Suzuki alliance period lot of small cars were designed notable amongst them, the WagonR which was sold in Europe as Vauxhall / Opel Agila.
b) And as already explained by VahanPujari, the design, platform and powertrain was co-developed with FIAT. Please consider hard facts before harping on something.
a)
1) Opel has been quite strong in Europe specially with Corsa. The latest corsa is based on Gamma Platform that is really co-developed by GM and Fiat.

2) Yes, agreed. Fiat is good at large hatchbacks. But Suzuki has sufficient expertise to produce large hatchbacks without any external help.

4) Suzuki has been supplying its cars to many other manufacturers too in Japan, maily Kei cars. They have supplied Kei cars to Mazda, Subaru, Mitsubishi and Nissan. It is so complex that nobody is able to list how many manufacturers took cars udner badge engineering from Suzuki.

3 and b) Disagree.
About powertrains : SX4 had M series petrol motors. Here Fiat was not involved in development of M series engines. And for diesel, 1910cc engine was not specially developed by Fiat for Suzuki. Neither did Suzuki develop that engine. Its the same mill as 1.9 Palio D had, but with tweaks and modifications.
I think no petrol or diesel mill were developed by Suzuki or Fiat, individually or combined, for SX4.
I disagree that development of powertrains took place.
About the platform ( i.e. point no. 3 ), I think I have the explanation above.
Old 2nd July 2009, 00:55   #93
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
1) Platform. It maily consists of three parts : Front sub assembly, cabin and rear sub assembly.
Hey. Why so serious?
You mentioned that Fiat has only one association with SX4 whereas what was found out was more than one association. So, thereafter onwards, did not care about all those long details you took efforts to write there, did not feel any need to.

On the other hand, if only Suzuki had sought Fiat help/ association in other factors, would not SX4 have been a better car in terms of Body Roll, Ride & Handling qualities??

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks