Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2009, 13:24   #76
Team-BHP Support

For the master pass, I believe one needs to have the RC name/address and DL name/address to be identical. Is this true?

My DL has Bangalore address and all my vehicle RCs have local address. I can't change my DL to local address because, I don't want to exchange my computerised DL card for a piece of paper or a xeroxed book. My GV RC is a sheet of paper, my Jeep RC is a xeroxed paper book. Where did the massive road-tax I paid go...
Old 29th June 2009, 13:39   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
For the master pass, I believe one needs to have the RC name/address and DL name/address to be identical. Is this true?
Confirm that. As per my knowledge, its true
Old 29th June 2009, 13:54   #78
Senior - BHPian

In Delhi they demand to see

Vehicle Registration Card
Insurance certificate
Pollution certificate
Driving licence

Original driving licence can be carried in the wallet, not mine although, I have it from 1986 in a booklet form ( bound card board ) which cannot be held in a wallet.

The question is is it safe to carry original documents in the car ?

If it is stolen or snatched, a common occurance in Delhi, then how do I pursue my case with the Police and Insurance company without original documents.

DO the traffic police recognise good colour photocopies, i.e. is that satisfactory for the RC and Insurance certificate ?
Old 29th June 2009, 15:27   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
If it is stolen or snatched, a common occurance in Delhi, then how do I pursue my case with the Police and Insurance company without original documents.

DO the traffic police recognise good colour photocopies, i.e. is that satisfactory for the RC and Insurance certificate ?
In the same manner as for lost documents, keep a copy at home for reference and filing FIR etc.

The Delhi RTO website categorily states (see FAQ), "keep your copies at home and carry the originals with you".
Old 4th July 2009, 17:51   #80
Senior - BHPian

I was checked only once in Kodaikanal, and the officer was satisfied with the copies of my originals. I never take originals with me. It would be much more headache if the originals or lost that dealing with the officers on road.
Old 5th July 2009, 15:13   #81
Senior - BHPian

good thread, well in my city i carry the copy of all the documents along with original pollution certificate, while going out of town carry original registeration documents with RC book.
Old 30th January 2011, 23:50   #82
BHPian

Re: What original documents should be carried?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Spitfire

Not many are aware of master pass.[ not mastercard ] You may need to take some time to visit them personally and meet the ARTO/RTO officer, or any knowledgebale persons [ old in the system ] to guide you the way.

For me, it took a couple of days to get the required information. Once I met the helpdesk, guided to the RTO office, met a officer there, got info, directed to meet ARTO, again got redirected to Superin of RTO. About fees, they dont have idea, again got directed to challan person who took the fees. Got it to RTO office

Filled application in a piece of paper, as mentioned in the thread below, submitted the photocopies of docs, after verification with originals and voila, got my Masterpass.

Yes, it does take time. For me it took more than 4 weeks, but atlast I got it

Inspiration and more information in the attached post

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post1141314
lambuhere1, thanks for the information. However, I'm little confused here

Do we need to surrender the original DL,RC to get a master pass (since i read it the same thread earlier) (or) just the photocopies & show the originals when asked.

Because i'm little skeptical to give the originals to the RTO
Old 31st January 2011, 10:39   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail2vm View Post
lambuhere1, thanks for the information. However, I'm little confused here

Do we need to surrender the original DL,RC to get a master pass (since i read it the same thread earlier) (or) just the photocopies & show the originals when asked.

Because i'm little skeptical to give the originals to the RTO
You just need the photocopies of all the originals. You have to take the originals to the RTO for them to validate the same against the photocopies. They will return the originals on the spot after verification.

Hope this helps
Old 2nd February 2011, 19:39   #84
Senior - BHPian

I always carry photocopy of documents except driving license and Pollution certificate. I also feel a little unsafe carrying all originals every time.

Driver's License - Original
RC - Photocopy
Insurance - Photocopy
Emission Certificate - Original
Old 3rd February 2011, 00:24   #85
BHPian

As per info from a retired RTO senior officer,
1. the driving license should be carried in original. (alternative is to have a colour xerox duplicate - but not advised).
His personal advice is to show the duplicate for any verifications, and show the originals only in serious situations, that warrant need.
His off the record advice is to never hand over the originals, without proper reciept of surrender - that too from the police station or mobile courts' senior official/writer/station officer etc.,.
2. get attested copies of the RC book and insurance certificates from your RTO office, any MVI or Superindendent signatures would suffice with clear rubber stamp seals. Pls ask the signatory to put date also, it helps a lot in maintaining authenticity.
for insurance, if possible - carry the cover note copy - single page where all details of the vehicle particulars, insurance premium amount paid, IDV value etc., - in original.
3. PUC must be always in originals - as its only 6 month validity.

Best Regards to all.
Old 4th April 2012, 15:53   #86
BHPian

There is an announcement from Satyendra Garg (Joint CP Traffic, Delhi) on Delhi Traffic Police facebook page that we can carry photocopy of RC and Insurance but need to carry the DL and Pollution in original.

Quote:
DOCUMENTS TO BE CARRIED IN ORIGINAL OR PHOTOCOPY: This is to clarify to every citizen that police officials have been told that liability of citizen while driving private vehicle to carry original document is limited to Driving Licence and Pollution certificate. One can carry photocopy of RC and Insurance. Hope this will save people from some harassment during checking by police.

- Satyendra Garg, Joint CP Traffic
The circular issued in this regard is attached below:

What original documents should be carried?-circular.jpg

Cheers!
Irish
Irish is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th April 2012, 23:48   #87
Senior - BHPian

^Glad to read this. I hope this rule is applicable in other states soon.
Old 6th April 2012, 23:48   #88
BHPian

The latest puc check , I got SMS from rto. I was told at the counter that showing SMS is enough and I will get auto reminder at expiry. This is at IOC pump next to forum mall.

Last edited by ownerofazkaban : 6th April 2012 at 23:49.
Old 23rd July 2012, 22:40   #89
BHPian

Extracts from the Central Motor Vehicles Rules 1988:

R. 115 (7) After the expiry of a period of one year from the date on which the motor vehicle was first registered, every such vehicle shall carry a valid "Pollution under control" certificate issued by an agency authorised for this purpose by the State Government. The validity of the certificate shall be for [six months] and the certificate shall always be carried in the vehicle and produced on demand by the officers referred to in sub-rule (1) of rule 116.
R. 115 (8) The certificate issued under sub-rule (7) shall, while it remains effective, be valid throughout India.

139. Production of licence and certificate of registration.—The driver or conductor of a motor vehicle shall produce certificate of registration, insurance, fitness and permit, the driving licence and any other relevant documents on demand by any police officer in uniform or any other officer authorized by the State Government in this behalf, and if any or all of the documents are not in his possession, he shall produce in person an extract or extracts of the documents duly attested by any police officer or by any other officer or send it to the officer who demanded the documents by registered post within 15 days from the date of demand.
Old 28th August 2012, 20:09   #90
BHPian

Bumping an old thread again ....

Do you guys actually do what's suggested above? Do you actually carry attested photocopies?

I see these traffic cops in Chennai who would not agree with any kind of copy. They want originals all the time. It's obviously unsafe to do that. Any Chennai folks here who had experience with traffic cops? Were they okay with a photocopy (attested or non-attested whichever)?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks