Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2014, 21:09   #121
Team-BHP Support

Re: What original documents should be carried?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
Sorry, but I fail to understand the reason for not carrying the originals? Was there any threat?
Until 2004 my DL was paper one, after that I always carry original. Until 2011, all my RCs were paper ones too. Couldn't really keep in the wallet, and can be stolen from the car. For some years I was driving Santro [from home] to drop my son, Vitara to office and the Jeep [from office] to pickup my son. So I left all the RCs at work, and kept only the copy in each car. When I bought the Baleno in 2005, I carried the original RC for a while and didn't feel safe, so switched back to copy. Never had any issues with cops so far.

Last edited by Samurai : 28th October 2014 at 21:10.
Old 9th November 2014, 04:21   #122
BHPian

I am planning to do bangalore-mumbai-bangalore in my newly procured Mobilio. Vehicle is registered a month ago and I have original tax paid receipt but vehicle Registration document/card from RTO is yet to be received. As per Dealer it takes around 45 days for RTO to courier RC card.

My question is can I travel with original or attested copy of tax paid receipt or it might be an issue for interstate travel?

Please advise team.
Old 9th November 2014, 04:50   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by andydude View Post
I am planning to do bangalore-mumbai-bangalore in my newly procured Mobilio. Vehicle is registered a month ago and I have original tax paid receipt but vehicle

My question is can I travel with original or attested copy of tax paid receipt or it might be an issue for interstate travel?

Please advise team.
I guess the original tax paid receipt which you have bears the registration no as well ?
If that's the case you can travel without any issue.
ishlinea7260 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2014, 08:22   #124
BHPian

Mod note: Back to back posts, use Multi Quote [Quote +] instead. Thanks.

Hi all,

Except Pollution certificate and insurace, I have never carried any originals with me. I will carry photo copies of sales invoice, road tax reciept, rc, driving license. I never faced any issue with this approach. I have travelled to TN, GOA, MH, KL and AP with KA registered vehicles.

Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishlinea7260 View Post
I guess the original tax paid receipt which you have bears the registration no as well ?
If that's the case you can travel without any issue.
Hi ishlinea,
Tax paid receipt contains vehicle chassis number, but not registration number of vehicle. RTO people write registration number with a pen. But this shuold not be a issue, because we can show him the chassis number and prove the quoted tax is paid for that vehicle only.

Hope thi helps!

Last edited by Jaggu : 9th November 2014 at 08:55.
hillsnrains is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2014, 09:42   #125
BHPian

I generally carry the DL, PUC certificate, RC card, and the insurance in original. The road tax receipts are in copies.

Not sure though the RC and insurance copy is accepted in case you meet up with an accident
Old 9th November 2014, 13:10   #126
BHPian

While taking the delivery on new Innova last month, the SA told me to get a PUC if i'm going out of Delhi. I was surprised as new BS-IV vehicles do not need a PUC for one year from date of purchase. However, the SA told me that Haryana, UP and Punjab cops play ignorance of the rule and issue challan to be contested in court! (show the rule in court).
DwarkaDelhiWala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2014, 06:08   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVPal View Post
I generally carry the DL, PUC certificate, RC card, and the insurance in original.
Hi PVPal,

I feel RC original may not be must to carry with the vehicle(iam carrying photo copy and didn't face any issue for last 6 years).
In case of company leased vehicles, we will get only photocopy of the RC only. RC original will be retained by the company. I guess same is the case with vehicles purchased on loan, bank will have the custody of original RC.

I have another point: Leaving the vehicle(with original docs) in unknown, insecure places during outstation travel may not be a good idea.

My 2 cents and hope it helps!
Old 10th November 2014, 08:13   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwarkaDelhiWala View Post
However, the SA told me that Haryana, UP and Punjab cops play ignorance of the rule and issue challan to be contested in court! (show the rule in court).
Sadly your SA is right.
As soon as any Delhi NCR car especially a temporary registration one reaches Chandigarh checkpoint you are bound to get stopped and checked for all the documents.
It's better to play safe and get the Rs.50 PUC done rather than get hassled by cops while driving a new car.
P.S. This has happened to me with HR registration as well.
Old 10th November 2014, 09:10   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillsnrains View Post
Quote:
In case of company leased vehicles, we will get only photocopy of the RC only. RC original will be retained by the company.
Factually incorrect. If your leasing company has done this to you, you have every right to catch them by the ear and take them to the courts for a royale dressing down. If you have not done that , then you don't know your rights - friend.

Quote:
I guess same is the case with vehicles purchased on loan, bank will have the custody of original RC.
Again - Completely wrong! Where did you get such an idea? Which Bank actually did this - I would be most curious to know.

Quote:
I have another point: Leaving the vehicle(with original docs) in unknown, insecure places during outstation travel may not be a good idea.
Unknown (possibly to you) does not equate to insecure. Never faced a challenge with leaving the original RC+PUC+Insurance policy in the car at the various places I have taken my car to. DL is always on my person (again in original).
What is recommended is that you keep a photocopy/scanned copy separately of all the originals. Same rule goes for credit cards/debit cards too. This is so that you have the necessary details to file a complaint in case of loss.
Having said that, the target of most vehicular theft incidents is usually something small - such as a laptop, mobile phone, ICE, or even a purse. In such cases , original documents - that are usually tucked away in the glove box, or in other niches, are rarely touched by the thieves - because it has no monetary value for them, and as such is a waste of their time. There are rare cases, when the thieves will drive away with the car itself.
No police station in India can refuse to file an FIR for a stolen car - even if without the original RC especially if you show them a photocopy and prove your identity with any government issued identification. No insurance company will create a problem, if you do not have the original RC of the stolen car. Again if they do, you can make a complaint against them for unfair practice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishlinea7260 View Post
It's better to play safe and get the Rs.50 PUC done rather than get hassled by cops while driving a new car.
Rs 50? Surely you are aware the rates have jumped considerably I paid Rs 100 + Rs 12 service tax yesterday

Last edited by joybhowmik : 10th November 2014 at 09:11.
joybhowmik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2014, 09:21   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Rs 50? Surely you are aware the rates have jumped considerably I paid Rs 100 + Rs 12 service tax yesterday
Got PUC done few weeks back, paid 50 bucks.
One of the benefits of living in small cities!
ishlinea7260 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2014, 10:01   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Factually incorrect. If your leasing company has done this to you, you have every right to catch them by the ear and take them to the courts for a royale dressing down. If you have not done that , then you don't know your rights - friend.
Hi Jobbhowmik,
First of all thanks for educating me and you made my day. My previous organization done this to me (they retained the RC during my employment with them between 2008-11), my bad I missed a chance to sue them

Quote:
Again - Completely wrong! Where did you get such an idea? Which Bank actually did this - I would be most curious to know.
When I sold my above said car to a friend (he took the loan from HDFC bank), bank has took over the RC. However, He completed the loan and got the RC 6 months back.

Quote:
Having said that, the target of most vehicular theft incidents is usually something small - such as a laptop, mobile phone, ICE, or even a purse. In such cases , original documents - that are usually tucked away in the glove box, or in other niches, are rarely touched by the thieves - because it has no monetary value for them, and as such is a waste of their time
What is recommended is that you keep a photocopy/scanned copy separately of all the originals. Same rule goes for credit cards/debit cards too. This is so that you have the necessary details to file a complaint in case of loss.
I politely disagree with the bold portion of your quote, it may not be a value addition to thief but enough problems(in getting the duplicates) for the owner.
I agree for carrying PUC+Insurance originals with vehicle always. Again newbie question, Is it mandatory to produce the original DL when come cop stops us?
No offense means!
Old 10th November 2014, 13:24   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillsnrains View Post
First of all thanks for educating me and you made my day. My previous organization done this to me (they retained the RC during my employment with them between 2008-11), my bad I missed a chance to sue them
No worries. In fact for me , I have taken 2 company car leases so far. In no case, did the leasing company or my employer take any original document as surety.
For all practical purposes, in a company lease, the financial institution's (leasing company) surety is the company (lessor) for whom the said employee (user) works. Since the company makes pre-tax deductions from the user's salary account, the risk of default is minimum. Now, I am not sure if you mean that the leasing company had taken your RC, or your company (employer) had taken your RC.
If it's your employer- then you need to take this up with the management team responsible for such policies. Normally availability of car lease through the company is part of the overall benefits package. But if that is diluted through such restrictive practices, then this component itself is suspect. Can you take them to court? Possibly not.
But if the leasing company took the RC as surety, then you should be able to take them to court, of course while keeping the company in the know.

Quote:
When I sold my above said car to a friend (he took the loan from HDFC bank), bank has took over the RC. However, He completed the loan and got the RC 6 months back.
There are no written down procedures for Banks to withhold RC document as surety.

Rather, the procedure is that during the new registration (or transfer of registration) process, the hypothecation details (if any) are entered into the RC - and the Bank keeps a photocopy for records. That in itself is the surety that the Bank (or any other FI has). There are provisions in the MV Act, that in the case of loan repayment default, the lender can approach the RTO, to transfer the certificate of registration to itself after repossessing the vehicle from the borrower. The RTO is mandated to change the owner on the RC, if after due notice, the owner (borrower) does not respond.

Quote:
I politely disagree with the bold portion of your quote, it may not be a value addition to thief but enough problems(in getting the duplicates) for the owner.
One suggestion, if you are worried about the RC document being vandalized/mutilated in a theft attempt, then take it with you when leaving the car.

Quote:
Is it mandatory to produce the original DL when come cop stops us?
Always a good practice to carry DL in original. Here is a circular from Delhi Police mandating that the DL be carried at all times when driving.
What original documents should be carried?-delhi-police-circular.jpg
Having said that, note also the Delhi Police is OK with photocopies of RC/Insurance. But the same cannot be said for other police forces, outside Delhi. So carry the RC in original too. You should be OK with the Insurance, as most all cops recognize a printout of a valid Insurance document.

As a case in point - I was stopped by police at a security checkpost in Varanasi during my last Delhi-Kolkata run. After the usual pleasantries, I was asked to show my original DL, RC , Insurance and PUC. Since I had all the originals with me, it was a breeze. I shudder to think of the delays that may have been caused, had I been carrying photocopies instead of the originals , not to mention, the parleys with the traffic police of a city 800 km away from home!
joybhowmik is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th November 2014, 07:55   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Now, I am not sure if you mean that the leasing company had taken your RC, or your company (employer) had taken your RC.
I mean to say employer. Anyhow now I know my right

Quote:
One suggestion, if you are worried about the RC document being vandalized/mutilated in a theft attempt, then take it with you when leaving the car.
Makes sense. Thanks for the detailed replies. I learned a good thing from you.
Old 25th November 2014, 21:07   #134

I plan to take the car registered in my mom's (or friend's) name on an interstate trip;the owner of the car won't be accompanying me. Is there any document that need to be carried in such a scenario ?. If yes, any specific format/forms?.
Old 20th December 2014, 14:57   #135
BHPian

The Kolkata traffic police website mentions the documents to be carried but doesn't mention which are needed in original. http://kolkatatrafficpolice.gov.in/faqs.html#1

I have asked on the KTP Facebook page to clarify this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks