Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2009, 02:52   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitartha View Post
well, lets see -

Jazz (7.5 lac) + 1.5 Litre engine excise duty (1.5 lac) + auto tranny (1 lac) = 10 lac

In case someone is very KEEN on buying a HATCHBACK ONLY, to put things in perspective, throw in a couple more lacs and this is what you might get -

PRESENTING the 2009 MERCEDES BENZ A-CLASS

Honda Jazz should have been launched with 1.5 ltr version only in the first place. this is the engine they are putting it in USA it makes 117 hp and its 15-17k dollors approx 8 lacs i think there so not very cheap but a good mile munching rooommy alternative to their suvs.

i would have looked at honda jazz in a different way if it was poweful enough.and priced at 7 lacs with that engine. offcourse

for 8 lacs you get the city sedan 7 lacs you jet jazz. let the market decide what they want. they can share the engine. is that too much to ask

now some stuff

omg i was just thinking of the mercedes benz a class today as i was watching top gear challenges it was hammond and captain slow testing other peoples cars lolz. they were testing the audi sportback and this mercedes benz a class.

i think they should bring it to india just to rub it into honda's face what a true super hatch back should be.

and did i mentioned the back side of the A- class merc looks pretty similar to the ritz. i am not kidding compare the pics and you will see.

Last edited by Caramelo : 4th July 2009 at 02:55.
Old 4th July 2009, 15:21   #32
BHPian

The Mercedes A-Class is a small vehicle and does not offer the same space as a Jazz, which is its USP, and what this car's target audience are looking for. The Jazz is a full 147mm longer, though shorter and thinner than the A-Class. The question is, will Mercedes be able to bring down the localization level to around 80% (similar to the Jazz) to manufacture this car at a competitive cost?

Add to that the Jazz' platform is used for the City, so Honda are making two cars on the same base. While on the other hand if the A-Class is brought here, there isn't another car which they can make on the same platform to realize the investment quicker.

And Mercedes Benz would not bring a 9-lakh car as that would not do any good to their brand image. Am I right or wrong?
Old 4th July 2009, 19:03   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustshrawan View Post
And Mercedes Benz would not bring a 9-lakh car as that would not do any good to their brand image. Am I right or wrong?
Couldn't agree more on this point. A Merc is all about being a part of an exclusive club.
Old 6th July 2009, 12:58   #34
BHPian

i guess in Indian markets anything under the brand name of 'Honda' sells. Honda seems to be riding on the same wave so far.
Old 7th July 2009, 03:29   #35
BHPian

I think people would have been ok paying 7-7.5 for the jazz with the 1.5l engine but the 1.2 is priced too high, esp considering the features the car is missing.
One argument given is that imports are more expensive now due to depreciating rupee, but thats hard to buy given 80% indigenization. Also the imports are most likely happening from Thailand, not Japan, in which case the rupee has depreciated abt 7% against the Baht from a yr ago which is not too high (compared to 20% depreciation against the Yen). Also input prices would have gone down over the same period.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks