Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2009, 14:09   #31
BHPian

My Bolero almost got stolen, I see the thread link in a post on the previous page. A similar security system with SIM/GSM based tracking and immobilization of vehicles (both ECU and non-ECU variants) is marketed by Autotrack, website link here. The product costs between 16 and 20K and has loads of features. I haven't yet installed it, but am saving up some money and researching other options as well. These tracking systems are all good, however the basic 3 hardware solutions are a must, namely the gear lock, the steering lock rod and a loud alarm. The 'chor switch' is also popular, I've seen a setup where the FIP's do not get activated unless the hidden chor switch is turned on.

Cheers,
Old 29th July 2009, 15:21   #32
BHPian

but isnt it too much to do EACH time you drive your car to the mall / cinema or any other place? Its almost a reason by itself to not buy a car popular with thieves.

also, would the modus operandi as described in the news paper link I posted be able to work with this new system that you mentioned Raj ?

Last edited by Takumi-san : 29th July 2009 at 15:31.
Old 29th July 2009, 16:54   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
@ Raj

Dude I really like the black guard on your Scorp. Could I ask you where did you purchase it from?
thanks buddy. its imported (supposedly from thailand!) & fitted using custom brackets in byculla. i think now local ones are also available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takumi-san View Post
also, would the modus operandi as described in the news paper link I posted be able to work with this new system that you mentioned Raj ?
iCat is the 'safest' tech available right now!
Old 29th July 2009, 16:54   #34
Senior - BHPian

Hi, It's certainly been a long time round since I've been to these parts !
Anyway - there are a few measures one can take to keep the vehicle secure:
1. Gear lock - One of the most underrated devices. But rather effective as it throws a spanner in the burglar's quick get away. As I understand their business ( and now don't as how !) they quickly size up the vehicle after their earlier recce. If they have to spend anything more than 7 odd minutes to get away with the vehicle they'll abandon the attempt. And the gear lock can delay them.
2. Etching of the vehicle number on the 8 glass surfaces of the beast. Good deterrent as it does create a situation for the ultimate buyer of the stolen vehicle to change the windshield etc and so not a very attractive proposition as well as the fact that tracing the vehicle is also tad easier.
3. Permanent distinguishing features - try making your vehicle as distinctly unique. Paint patterns/paint lines etc can be used to good effect. I have used the paint pen to a great effect, need to be different from the average Joe ! Creates a great deterrent value.
4. Use the company provided steering lock everytime you leave the vehicle.
5. Electronic gizmos - yes. But wouldn't totally rely on them as they are the easiest to crack I guess...

Besides some points to keep in mind - never keep the vehicle papers when the vehicle is not used for a long time. Remove it every night/time when the vehicle is left in doubtful/shady areas, other than the essentials (insurance papers) carry only the photocopies of the documents etc. Even for even short periods of time use all the security devices - don't leave it defenceless...most car lifts happen in about 2-3 minutes and possibly in broad daylight !
Old 29th July 2009, 17:06   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
3. Permanent distinguishing features - try making your vehicle as distinctly unique. Paint patterns/paint lines etc can be used to good effect. I have used the paint pen to a great effect, need to be different from the average Joe ! Creates a great deterrent value.
HG Sir, your scorpio's paint pen graphics need to be seen to be believed. what may have started as a paint preserving exercise has now turned into a work of art! Was great meeting all at my place last weekend. Lets repeat it soon.

Cheers,
Old 29th July 2009, 17:12   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriku View Post
HG Sir, your scorpio's paint pen graphics need to be seen to be believed. what may have started as a paint preserving exercise has now turned into a work of art! Was great meeting all at my place last weekend. Lets repeat it soon.

Cheers,
Sriku Sir, Was a pleasure meeting up ! Let's do it again ! I am sure HVK would join in too...
Old 29th July 2009, 17:14   #37
BHPian

Let's gang up and hit Global Gallerie workshop That'll be a blitzkrieg allright!

(Sorry for going OT slightly)

Cheers,
Old 29th July 2009, 18:34   #38
Senior - BHPian

hello friends, i am going to global gallarie this saturday for an ABS issue in my car. if anybody is meeting up there or nearby, please inform me too! i'll be glad to join.
Old 30th July 2009, 16:45   #39
Senior - BHPian

Superveloce, I hope the insurance worked out? But of course, its not like you can get the same car back but its a small consolation.
Old 5th August 2009, 18:00   #40
Senior - BHPian

This Question might look bit awkward.

How about drastically changing the looks? I know this is not the solution, But I will ask in other way?
Do they steel Scorpios which are modified extensively?

Also how about adding a regular - good chain with traditional locks? I know we need to do some exercise, But I used to use a long chain between the tyres after a theft attempt with my Santro long back.

We can use it at least when we park it in a theft-prone place.

Again, another question about insurance. Sorry it it looks too ignorant. Is there an insurance company accepts a 100% protection with a higher premium? Is that not something we bother to pay to be more peaceful?

Last edited by agbenny : 5th August 2009 at 18:05.
Old 5th August 2009, 23:24   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
Is there an insurance company accepts a 100% protection with a higher premium? Is that not something we bother to pay to be more peaceful?
Interesting and there may well be but its impossible to pinpoint the value of a car once its out of the showroom. So I guess you will lose 20-30k at least on any full insurance claim. But that aside, if there is such a scheme it would be well worth it.
Old 10th August 2009, 11:24   #42
BHPian

I saw this thread after a few days of my approx. 1 year old vehicle ( VLX) got stolen from a parking area near our building. Lodged FIR and the police is still clueless. Have registered with the dealer and vehicle tracker on the scorpio website as well. Waiting for the final police report while paying the emi and also shortlisting vehicle.
This time the showroom guy told me that they have made some more changes in the immobiliser and now its very difficult to steal it without the keys as the immobiliser will stop fuel supply if attempted to run by any other means.
Incidentally, I also suppose they have launched 4*4 version with Mhawk engine.
Old 10th August 2009, 17:40   #43
BHPian

I think what your dealer was talking about was this iCAT system. It is RFID based and proven effective , lets just hope it proves itself. This is one case where I hope our thieves ingenuity / jugaad does not work.
Old 10th August 2009, 17:44   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatrughna View Post
I saw this thread after a few days of my approx. 1 year old vehicle ( VLX) got stolen from a parking area near our building. Lodged FIR and the police is still clueless. Have registered with the dealer and vehicle tracker on the scorpio website as well. Waiting for the final police report while paying the emi and also shortlisting vehicle.
what????

your scorpio got stolen??
Old 10th August 2009, 18:00   #45
naj
BHPian

One more thing that might help especially when parking at nights is to use wheel jammers in addition to the security equipments as mentioned in the above posts.
In Pune cars parked wrongly, are not towed but the front wheel is fitted with a wheel jam which is locked in place with a mobile no of the police patrol.
The jam is quite sturdy and will definitely take a lot of time to break open or unlock.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks