Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2005, 13:44   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1
.... most of the octavia's and superb's sticker price currently goes into the government's coffers as tax for the CKD kits...
Who's stopping Skoda from manufacturing the cars here instead of importing them? One good thing about India has been that most of the cars here are manufactured in the country, why change that?
Old 25th June 2005, 13:57   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
originally posted by steeroid

Who's stopping Skoda from manufacturing the cars here instead of importing them? One good thing about India has been that most of the cars here are manufactured in the country, why change that?
nobody's stopping them....it's just that the investment is trying to be put through as FDI instead of local borrowings..i guess... but i have reasons to believe that the land for their upcoming factory has already been decided upon- dunno whether they have already bought it... but the works are on the way.... an unofficial quote states that the production might begin within the next year or so...

and almost all of the 'D' segment and upper 'C' segment cars are assembled from CKD's/ SKD's- just because the companies are trying to work out long term feasibilities....

but a reduction in duties could mean that skoda's CKD assembly lines could be equally utilised as a platform for VW (maybe even audi, under a tie up, as they had originally intended) models, while skoda concentrates on the manufacturing plant.....
Old 25th June 2005, 14:19   #18
Senior - BHPian

Yes, its true that internationally the Superb is pitted against the Camrys, Mondeos and Accords. But even then, people refuse to buy one and that snob factor that is majorly responsible for the lack of sales is also prevalent in the international market (at least in Europe). Skodas are still considered cheaper VWs.
Old 25th June 2005, 20:30   #19
BHPian

Abroad skoda is more of a poor man's VW.skoda india however made sure that the indian midsize car buyer never felt that way by pricing the octy in the luxury midsize segment(instant branding)- mid size car buyers fell for it-but not the luxury car buyer(he knows that a skoda will never be a merc)
Old 25th June 2005, 20:58   #20
BHPian

skoda is now gaining popularty in Great britain . the UK Police is switching over from Volvo and vauxhaul to Octavia Vrs and 4x4 estates ... the only differnece most brits find between skoda and Audi's nowdays is the price .... in brighton 90 % of taxi's are octavia's

and you cannot compare the superb to the passat ... the superb is based on the passat platform but with major modification's like length , height and more .. and yes the superb is more expensive than the passat in the UK .

the reason for the superb's high price i would say is casue of the duty . they have to bring it in as CBU ..and i am sure CKD would not be viable because of low volumes
Old 26th June 2005, 18:39   #21
BHPian

current Skoda at 9lk, New Skoda at around 12K and the Superb at around 17L,

Think i should go mail these prices to the skoda bosses! if they do this, then they can accomodate the VW, if the Superb is for 23 or something, what can we expect the VW Passat to cost? 30lk ?

man, passat is one lovely car! Bora... a shrinked model of the Passat, or a Not-So-rich-Man's Passat.
Old 18th October 2005, 13:29   #22
Senior - BHPian

the skoda superb diesel in going to be launched next month and most likely the on road price is going to be below 23 lacs (not confirmed),
got the info on an recent visit to the skoda showrrom here.
Old 18th October 2005, 14:50   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadix
the skoda superb diesel in going to be launched next month and most likely the on road price is going to be below 23 lacs (not confirmed),
got the info on an recent visit to the skoda showrrom here.
Wont sell.it has to come under the 20 Lacs psychological barrier.Skoda simply does not have enough brand value to play in the C-class,3-series territory.
Old 18th October 2005, 16:52   #24
BANNED

Skoda seriously overestimates its brand value in India.

Why would you buy a Superb when you can buy an Accord V6 for so much less.

Aukad mein aana sala.
Old 18th October 2005, 19:35   #25
Senior - BHPian

guys read abt the would be pricing of new skoda? 18-19lac . skoda gone nuts i guess!
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8129
Old 18th October 2005, 21:20   #26
Senior - BHPian

Agreed with GTO, that Superb competes against Mondeo in Europe and was pitted against Mercedez in India, this led to its downfall. Although the Superb sold in India had slightly better trim levels (interiors etc).
However there have been success stories based on same model. The NHC (Jazz) with a boot competes with Getz and Swift in Australian market, however Honda pulled out a miracle by giving good interiors, boot, to their car in India. They positioned the NHC (JAZZ) in a different price segment and people bought it in huge numbers.
Old 18th October 2005, 22:34   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Monkey

the reason for the superb's high price i would say is casue of the duty . they have to bring it in as CBU ..and i am sure CKD would not be viable because of low volumes
I know this is kinda late to reply to this post but
I think the volumes will be high enough to produce it as CKD because then it would be pitted in the range price range as the accord v6...alot of executives r buyin the accord and they would definatly get the superb instead as it has a more executive look to it backed by much better interiors space which matters alot to them cause they r the ones sitting behind.
Old 19th October 2005, 08:47   #28
Team-BHP Support

Dealer rang me saying the Octy 2 is coming in 3-4 months. Main issue is new Octy sells for 4-5% more than previous version. It cannot compete with Accords - it is a Golf in more utilarian clothes and should stay in current segment. Superb competes with the Sonata abroad - they should stay where they are!
Old 19th October 2005, 08:58   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by merve_extreme
Wont sell.it has to come under the 20 Lacs psychological barrier.Skoda simply does not have enough brand value to play in the C-class,3-series territory.

it will sell in hyd,for sure as the price diff between the c-class and the superb diesel could be more than 10 lacs.

plus here in south any diesel vehicle SELLS !!
Old 19th October 2005, 21:37   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Hmmm.
The Superb at 19L will be just perfect.
If they could market it better and launch a diesel.
Does any one have information on the diesel? It's a V6 right?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks