Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2005, 14:53   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

There was an ad in Novemer ACI, age 24 for the Skoda Superb Turbo Diesel.
It has a 2.5 V6 TDi unit.
Check it out.
Maybe it is going to be launched soon or it's already out.
It has a 163 BHP V6 engine, does 0-100 in 10.3 sec according to Skoda and it was supposed to return 14kmpl under EU tests.
Also, ACI mentioned the car is going to be assembled here as a CKD kit bringing down the price to 22L.
Now that wouldn't be a blunder would it?
But a price of 20L would be more better.
Old 30th October 2005, 15:37   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat
Dealer rang me saying the Octy 2 is coming in 3-4 months. Main issue is new Octy sells for 4-5% more than previous version. It cannot compete with Accords - it is a Golf in more utilarian clothes and should stay in current segment. Superb competes with the Sonata abroad - they should stay where they are!
coming by nov. it was announced by skoda officials at the skoda superb diesel launch
Old 30th October 2005, 20:01   #33
Senior - BHPian

20lacs would really be good. But about the car, its just awesome. Loads of space and features. Almost all the things u'll need, including an unbrella .The quality of the stuff used is also very high. I'm sure the diesel would sell better than the petrol version.
Old 3rd November 2005, 17:17   #34
Senior - BHPian

Skoda superb is now for 21 lacs with some good discounts. .
Old 3rd November 2005, 17:57   #35
Senior - BHPian

Superb with good 2.5 L V6 diesel will be good VFM luxury car and for sure the price will be reduced as they will assemble the car locally now.
Old 10th May 2006, 23:08   #36
Senior - BHPian

Skoda Superb : A Failure . Why ?

Skoda : Superb : Why doesnt it sell ????
This question has always haunted me, i am a big Skoda Fan, but have always failed to understand why the Superb Does not sell ???? Even though acc to me the Superb is better than the C class???
i think one of the reasons for the same is Badge Value, a Mercedez is a Mercedez. but the product 'superb' the diesel variant is better. Can you guys throw some light on the same ????

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Similar thread existed. New thread has been merged with the old one.

Last edited by Aditya : 11th May 2006 at 00:54.
Old 10th May 2006, 23:12   #37
Senior - BHPian

Cuz of two things....price and no way people will pick a Skoda when they can get a Merc of a lil more money

In India, brand name matters more than anything. Its plays a role bigtime. Heck no one would pick an Audi A4 over the Merc C-Class even tho they are equally priced and offer similar things.

Last edited by karthik247 : 10th May 2006 at 23:23.
Old 10th May 2006, 23:21   #38
BHPian

ya merc always have the brand name, and people woud't mind to pay a little more to get it.
Old 10th May 2006, 23:49   #39
Senior - BHPian

First of all, skoda made a huge mistake by launching the petrol engine variant first.

Skoda had made a name for themselves when they launched the octavia 1.9tdi. Skoda was synonymous with a powerful yet frugal diesel engine.
The petrol octavia was always the second fiddle.
Skoda sells only for diesels.

Even people who can afford to fill petrol, will still like a diesel. Proof of which is...now that the superb comes in diesel form, its doing better numbers.
Believe it or not, even the rich would rather pay less money for their fuel bills, if not then just to boast how their car gives excellent mileage.

Second mistake was to position it against mercedes...now common a person who has his heart set to buy a merc will only buy the merc.
No matter how good the other car is...in the mind of the general public a merc will always be a merc.

If they had priced it to compete with likes of accord. Man we would see a lot more superbs on the road thats for sure.

Drifter

Last edited by drifter : 10th May 2006 at 23:52.
Old 10th May 2006, 23:55   #40
Senior - BHPian

Yes launching the diesel variant immensly helped to give a small boost to its sales. Its a nice powerful car..and very good too. I think it can be pitted with the new Camry now
Old 11th May 2006, 00:32   #41
BHPian

even the new camy looks gud !!
Old 11th May 2006, 03:32   #42
BHPian

Skoda superb,and initial impressions of the laura,octavia and nummer eins (dealer)

Just went to Nummer Eins,the mumbai dealer for Skoda at Juhu yesterday.Well,my uncle wants a powerful luxury car with diesel economy since he drives, or rather gets driven from Bandra to Churchgate daily.His current car is a 10 year old OPEL Astra.Fantastic car no doubt,but has very very poor efficiency - 5-6 kmpl !Add to that,it now runs on lpg since the past 2 years and frankly,it is screwing up the engine.So anyways,he wants a proper upgrade from the Astra,but the car has to be European.Just like me eh?
So we walked into the Skoda showroom and told the sales guy -price no bar,show us the best diesel car you have.WOW,wish I could say that if I was buying a car for myself.LOL
We were primarily looking at 3 cars-
Skoda Octavia L&K @ 16 lakhs(approx)on road Mumbai
Skoda Laura (manual) @ 18 lakhs (approx)
Skoda Superb V6 diesel @ 25 lakhs (approx)
The sales guy was of a different species I guess.He brought down the number of cars in contention from 3 to 1.He chose the car for us !
He said - Sir,the company is unnecessarily killing the Octavia L&K by pricing it at 16 lakhs.Might as well buy the Laura.And about the Superb,no body considers it.Might as well buy the C class.So buy the Laura.Its the best selling premium car at the moment with a 2.5 month waiting.I actually like the superb and I was expecting him to atleast talk about its advantages over the C class or its value for money proposition.Now what kind of marketing was that ?
Thank you Sales boy,cause my uncle wanted the laura after that statement.
There was no Superb in the showroom.The guy did'nt allow us a test drive of the laura saying he would send one for a test drive to our residence and he did'nt even allow us a test drive of the Octavia saying there was'nt a car available.I wonder why??
Having burnt atleast 50 bucks in travelling from Bandra to Juhu in my palio 1.6 , the least I could do is get a feel of the cars by sitting in them
First up,the octavia (base model)
Now everyone loves the octavia .And especially Palio owner looks up to it as their next possession.I'll be frank here-I wasnt impressed,not even a bit.I know it has a fantastic diesel with good economy.I have'nt driven it so wont comment on that.It rides and handles well,is safe.My palio 1.6 S10 is fast,has good ride and handling and has equally good built quality @ less than half the price of the octi.So whats the big deal apart from economy.But I'll give it the benefit of doubt since i have'nt driven it.What I,rather all of us were disappointed about were the interiors.Bland,boring though solid is what comes to mind.The centre console has hardly any gadgets/buttons to play around with.Its spartan,with a boot release button above the slot for the music system! mean common,its still a 12 lakh car.One thing good was that the front seats were pretty comfortable and had electric lumbar support.Now the main grouse,and you guys pretty much know it-The back seat.I was expecting it to be a bit uncomfortable since I've heard about it,but it was horrible.Cramped,really cramped,and the front seat was'nt even pushed fully back.My uncle could stay in there for just about .... 10 seconds.The astra is cramped,but this is more so.
I am sad,cause from the outside,this car looks awesome and it does'nt miss my eye each time I'm on the road.But having had 2 european cars in the family,Palio and astra,I'd say this one failed to deliver because at 12 lakhs,I expect a car to have much more than just good engine and fuel economy.And the L& K as rightly said by the sales guy is just not worth it.The RS is the only variant that to me makes sense, but only if you're looking at sportiness over luxury,and only if you drive less or can afford the FE and dont wanna be chauffer driven.FE as claimed by the sales guy is around 6-7 in city for RS.'NUFF SAID

Skoda laura- WHAT A CAR !!!!!!

I mean after the Octi,this was a big big change.I never thought its value for money,but boy was I wrong.Every aspect of the car has a wow effect to it.And I'm purely talking luxury here.Climatronic a/c,big comfortable seats,fantastic rear seats as well,parking senors,rain sensors,automatic lights on in the dark function (whatever its called),memory settings for front seats plus electric lumbar support,6 cd changer with mp3,sun/moon roof,rear a/c vents,awesome looking gear knob(DSG),multi info display like the E class,steering controls,cruise control,head lamp washers,ASR,ESP,ABS,6 airbags -2 side,2 curtain and 2 front,TPM (tyre pressure monitoring),side mirrors with front turn signal lamps(just like mercs),xenon head lamps.Have I missed anything.I bet I must have.I know the Octi L&K has most of these features,but it doesnt make sense buying it at 16 lakhs.Rather have a more comfortable car,a new generation car,a more powerful car (105 bhp/4000 rpm and 250nm of torque at 1900 rpm for the laura,90bhp and 210(guess) for octi.Its most definitely the best car this side of 20 lakhs.So a big unanimous yes then for the laura.Except that,it doesnt look all that great on the outside,though in black it looks special and it is infact "THE WORLD's MOST BEAUTIFUL AUTOMOBILE".(Awarded by an international jury of renowned artists,architects and art critics,at Milan,Italy-brochure says that).Whatever,I dont think so.And I;m exepecting the engine to be noisy.The test drive is on Sunday and the car would,if bought, be wearing a "Storm Blue" suit.Nobody's bought that colour I guess.

Conclusion- If I had loads of money and wanted a Skoda,I'd keep telling myself 'be practical and buy the octi' while heading to the showroom and on the very last minute veer off and blast my money on the "NEW OCtavia".All this even without driving one.Yup,its thats good.And in the present scenario,I'm all the more happy with my Palio S10.I love it cause makes me smile when I overtake more exepnsive cars.I love it cause I dont feel jealous about people owning more expensive cars.I would'nt exchange for a toyota,honda,accord or now even an octi.But laura,hmm well I would'nt exchange my car but the laura and Palio would be in my happy garage.

Last edited by roms : 11th May 2006 at 03:36.
Old 11th May 2006, 03:54   #43
BHPian

PS -Just remembered the button above the music system slot in the octavia is for boot release or its a fuel lid opener.HAHA
Old 11th May 2006, 14:31   #44
DRC
BHPian

roms, Exactly my thoughts when I went to Skoda show room..

I have a car with same amount of space for 1/3rd the price of octi, and I can always add those gizmos aftermarket.

I know Octi lovers attack me with daggers, but I do ot feel it any better than my petra. about Same space, same power, FE offset by cost of ownership, all you get is gizmos,
Old 12th May 2006, 04:51   #45
BHPian

DRC u comparing a fiat petra with skoda octavia....
neva mind buddi
Closed Thread

Most Viewed