Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2009, 19:09   #181
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VahanPujari View Post
If this trend is really happening, its immensly good for the customers as Honda will then be forced to give equipments (like SX4 forced it to start giving ABS/Airbags/ Steering mounted controls etc)
If the reports on the coming refresh models of Honda are to be believed, Civic is merely a cosmetic upgrade and City will have few 'goodies' like alloys or Fog lamps but at a hefty price increase. So I dont think that Honda India have learnt any thing.
Old 3rd September 2009, 19:12   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VahanPujari View Post
If this trend is really happening, its immensly good for the customers as Honda will then be forced to give equipments (like SX4 forced it to start giving ABS/Airbags/ Steering mounted controls etc)
Ideally they should, but perhaps Honda has now got a PSU culture or people at the helm who are not conversant with maths. 1-3 mths of decline in Civic (or any car) is possible, but to keep on seeing successive declines for more than 2 years and doing nothing effective on pricing or marketing.
Old 4th September 2009, 01:03   #183
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by akj53 View Post
If the reports on the coming refresh models of Honda are to be believed, Civic is merely a cosmetic upgrade and City will have few 'goodies' like alloys or Fog lamps but at a hefty price increase. So I dont think that Honda India have learnt any thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Ideally they should, but perhaps Honda has now got a PSU culture or people at the helm who are not conversant with maths. 1-3 mths of decline in Civic (or any car) is possible, but to keep on seeing successive declines for more than 2 years and doing nothing effective on pricing or marketing.
May be Honda is waiting to see if its impacting ANHC sales which is its flagship car. If it does, there is no way it can ignore this trend & bound to react if it wants to retain/ maintain its top of the table position.
Old 4th September 2009, 04:18   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Just goes to show that only good service back up does not make the car a winner, especially in the luxury segment. If you compare car for car the superb is far more equipped and feels a whole segment above the Accord.
That being said there is no excuse for Skoda's management issues, they are unacceptable. However in terms of spares and service the difference is not as large as one feels, the new Accord spares are not considered cheap by any means although they would be cheaper than the Superb's. Skoda now has service intervals of 15k kms whereas Honda is at 5k kms hence the costs are relative to the frequency, this has narrowed the gaps on service cost differences.
The superb is an awesome car, hands down i feel you cant compare the car to the accord, the accord feels soo outdated in features compare to superb, i feel u can compare the superb to the Merc E class & the bmw 5 series, if i had a choice between accord or superb i would have also gambled & got the superb, the black one is just to die for
Old 4th September 2009, 10:26   #185
oss
BHPian

I think we are going seriously OT now, but still can't avoid this one

In the current edition of ACI there is a comparison between Acord & Superb, and they have also rated Superb above Acord. This is from a magazine which normally finds reasons to support Honda product, and that means something telling on the product quality of Superb.

Oflate i am realising it is not just the comments on Fiat that evokes furious responses, but even the Honda related ones too.

Honda v/s Fiat, that's a lethal one, ofcourse
Old 4th September 2009, 16:12   #186
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oss View Post
I think we are going seriously OT now, but still can't avoid this one

In the current edition of ACI there is a comparison between Acord & Superb, and they have also rated Superb above Acord. This is from a magazine which normally finds reasons to support Honda product, and that means something telling on the product quality of Superb.

Oflate i am realising it is not just the comments on Fiat that evokes furious responses, but even the Honda related ones too.

Honda v/s Fiat, that's a lethal one, ofcourse
ACI has been known to be biased in favour of BOTH Honda & Skoda so this report should be quite unbiased in that aspect as two wrongs to make a right at times.
Old 5th September 2009, 13:42   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Biased or not, the fact is that as a product the Superb is better then Accord. When I say product it means the car, features, technology, price and everything else that combines together to form a product. Having said that, if I had to buy one of these cars today, I would buy the Accord.

It's only in After sales service that Skoda takes a beating but then Skoda would lose in after sales service even if it was competing with itself!

Last edited by amit : 5th September 2009 at 13:43.
Old 5th September 2009, 15:46   #188
oss
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
Biased or not, the fact is that as a product the Superb is better then Accord. When I say product it means the car, features, technology, price and everything else that combines together to form a product. Having said that, if I had to buy one of these cars today, I would buy the Accord.

It's only in After sales service that Skoda takes a beating but then Skoda would lose in after sales service even if it was competing with itself!
Come to think of it, Honda makes its margin upfront by pricing its products higher. Skoda is trying to make its margin by overpricing the spares.

The products being equally good with Skoda having a slight edge, if they fix the dealership issues, they can beat Honda - ofcourse the reputation that Honda has built in the last 7-8 yrs will make it difficult for Skoda to overcome, but eventually they should be able to do it.

If they do achieve this, that will atleast get Honda to price its products sensibly and offer better features in their cars.
Old 5th September 2009, 16:03   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The products being equally good with Skoda having a slight edge, if they fix the dealership issues, they can beat Honda - ofcourse the reputation that Honda has built in the last 7-8 yrs will make it difficult for Skoda to overcome, but eventually they should be able to do it.
I don't think Honda's good image is a hinderance to Skoda's sales. Despite their notorious reputation for service, the Superb has outsold the Accord. Just think if this is what Skoda can do with pathetic service and super expensive spares, then what they could do to Accord if they sort out their problems.
Old 5th September 2009, 23:01   #190
BHPian

August 2009

phew Skoda again managed to beat the Honda hands down again in D segment,
Accord sold 229 cars while Superb managed 276 cars.
Civic sold some 231 cars against Skoda combined figures of 627 cars (Octavia Indian and european together), I think it outdid Toyota in this segment well.
absolutely adore the Superb 2009.
Old 6th September 2009, 10:05   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviral2122 View Post
phew Skoda again managed to beat the Honda hands down again in D segment,
Accord sold 229 cars while Superb managed 276 cars.
Civic sold some 231 cars against Skoda combined figures of 627 cars (Octavia Indian and european together), I think it outdid Toyota in this segment well.
absolutely adore the Superb 2009.
And in few days we will learn that Altis has outsold Octavia + Laura combined.

But sadly now Toyota seems to be thinking of milking the customers dry, a-la-Honda by raising the prices of Altis, Innova & Fortuner

Increased deamnd and production means lower costs, so rather than giving more goodies they are planning a price hike. Is Toyota India planning to negate its parent company's losses by squeezing Indian customers.

'Jab maal bikne laga to dimag chadh gaye'
All are equally bad. Greedy bunch of manufacturers.

Last edited by akj53 : 6th September 2009 at 10:09.
Old 6th September 2009, 17:53   #192
nissan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
What is reason of decline of sale figures of civic (though V Variant with added features was launched in June'07 & ANHC was launched in end Sept'08)?

Old 7th September 2009, 09:08   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissan View Post
What is reason of decline of sale figures of civic (though V Variant with added features was launched in June'07 & ANHC was launched in end Sept'08)?
Could be customers prefer compromise over quality. That is why it so serious.
Old 7th September 2009, 10:53   #194
BHPian

Vasudeva- When will last month's figures come in?
Old 7th September 2009, 10:55   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish3 View Post
Vasudeva- When will last month's figures come in?
Likely in the next 4-6 hours to 3/4 days. Edit: most likely on 8.9.2009.

Last edited by vasudeva : 7th September 2009 at 10:57.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed