Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2009, 21:48   #211
BHPian

I think Hyundai is trying hard to change world’s perception on their cars. After the launch of Genesis, they are all set to launch the model Hyundai EQQUS. The car looked elegant, the Hyundai Logo has been redesigned on it (Like an eagle) and there was a flying bird logo on the hood. May be changing the logo is their first step.
Old 8th September 2009, 23:35   #212
BHPian

The first post in this thread says, the reason this thread was started is due to this comment
Quote:
All I'm saying is, I think Hundai as a manufacturer is crap and is being overly glorified.
That was made by me in the following post.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post1464563

These were also posted in the same thread.

Quote:
To tell you the truth I don't feel like driving a Getz or any Hyundai for that matter.
Quote:
I cannot, only one I've driven was a petrol and it was no rocket, was not a good handler either.
Maybe my view is wrong.

Did't mean to say all people will not like Getz, some might and some does.
Maybe "if" I drive one that might change my mind

Did't mean to offend any Getz lovers, sorry.
Quote:
I just expressed my views that's all.
I don't really want to do any more Hyuandai bashing.
I just don't like the brand that's all. (Really don't know why)
Is it fair ? I don't know, I think not.
Now, can we move along please.
So can we move along please ?
Anyway, I feel honored a separate thread based on my comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
When I say skewed/biased its to comments like these without any meaningful proof:

Now, any car can be driven really well/poorly. That depends on the driver, doesn't it? A car A in X (good) drivers hand can be driven brilliantly, while the same car A in Y (average) drivers hand might not do so well. Now if Y was to comment that car A is crap, would you then take his comments more seriously or the driver X who is universally known as the better driver?

Let us throw out every TBHPian out of the equation. Did I hear someone mention a few rally drivers owning Elantra's? I know a few friends who are close buddies with a few rally drivers. I would take their word for it because unlike us they have been there done that, those guys know what a "good handling" car is. I would say a rally driver can be classified as Mr.X (good driver) and if he says A car is good while a Mr.Y (bad driver) says A car is rubbish, whose views would you take more seriously? X or Y?
Sir, I'm no rally driver and I don't claim to be a good driver.
So, if this is for me. I really don't mind.

I'm biased, I've already said that.
I still don't like Hyuandai for no particular reason.

Sometime back I went to a shop to get a shirt.
I was searching for Brand "x", they did't have it.
Sales guy said brand "y" is there its 100 times better and will make me look like .

Bottom line - I don't care, I still want brand "x".

Its called personal choice, facts be damned.

Thanks.

EDIT:

PS : I'm enjoying my vacation time, so did't get time to read the entire thread.
Its my view about Hyuandai. I think I'm entitled for my own view on things.
I did't want to offend anyone.

My apologies if someone/anyone felt bad as this is not directed at any Hyuandai owner.
I'll not have any further comments and my view towards Hyuandai remains unchanged.

Last edited by yzfrj : 8th September 2009 at 23:42.
Old 9th September 2009, 00:08   #213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sir, I'm no rally driver and I don't claim to be a good driver.
So, if this is for me. I really don't mind.

I'm biased, I've already said that.
I still don't like Hyuandai for no particular reason.

Sometime back I went to a shop to get a shirt.
I was searching for Brand "x", they did't have it.
Sales guy said brand "y" is there its 100 times better and will make me look like .

Bottom line - I don't care, I still want brand "x".

Its called personal choice, facts be damned.
True.

Everyone has to face such issues. I've heard so many things about the vtecs handling, its dull interiors, lack of safety features, instability at high speeds etc etc but these are all personal opinions and not a good enough reason for me to start a thread questioning each n everyone.

As long as im comfortable doing high speeds in my car and happy with its handling, i can enjoy it irrespective of what others feel.

I mean, i've seen roller coaster rides where some people get scared to death while others seem un-impressed and want something more thrilling (even though both groups have experienced the exact same thing).

But yes, if someone gives out misguiding info about things that can be measured/calculated, like cornering gs, acc / braking / roll-on times, top speed, lap times etc then you can openly question his claims.

Shan2nu
Old 9th September 2009, 08:15   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
didn't intend to say that those who do not buy/like the Getz/Elantra are skewed/biased.

When I say skewed/biased its to comments like these without any meaningful proof:

Comments like the ones above are the reason I find people to be biased. And you and many others mistook it that I am saying just because people don't feel the same about the Getz/Elantra I am calling them skewed/biased? Get the point? Its not biased against a car A/B. But Hyundai in general as evident from the posts above.

I am sorry but let me tell you I have hardly come across any Swift onwer owning up that the Swift rattles a lot. Its only the others who point this out.
It's been quite interesting to see that you bring in Elantra out of the blue and try to resurrect its image and people pounce on you from all directions and you are fighting them tooth and nail. Young blood and lots of fighing spirit. You are honing your skills.

All I can recall about Elantra is that it was a car well equipped with safety features and its ABS was given more publicity along with the features it offered in its segment.It Looked Okie in my opinion and it might have not done well to Hyundai's expectations and yours too.

Regarding skewed perceptions, I am pretty sure most of the Team BHPians would rate its quality better than TATA or Maruti in the Sub 8 lakh levels( My opinion strictly). You should also note that Hyundai would be a preferred brand in the entry level and mid segment level only and people are opting for Honda, Toyota in the higher segments by paying a premium because they see more quality in Honda and Toyota.

The handling part as claimed by you and as shan2nu has said can only be settled in a track and that also would not be very conclusive as who is driving them and his skills etc will have some say.

If you look at Hyundai growth, you can see that they are on a lienear curve ( uppish curve I meant) ever since they came to India. The perceptions are always tending towards positive. Something that
need to take care is price their cars at upper entry level a bit more competitive and desist from silly marketing ads ( One of the posts pointed that out comparing SWIFT with Santro).

From a common man's perspective, the Getz and Swift handling wouldnt make much of a difference unless someone like you or some enthusiastic T-BHPian tries to see how well they behave in corners or how well they accelerate through the gears etc. The perceptions are mostly based on Value for Money, Afer Sales service, Cheaper Spares, Quality which
gives the brand image and over a period of time the brand name itself signifies the parameters.

People will have opinions which seem absurd and unreasonable to you. Sometimes its better to leave them have their opinions.

Hyundai is here to stay and you can have some peace of mind.

Last edited by muni : 9th September 2009 at 08:16.
Old 9th September 2009, 08:59   #215
BHPian

In my case, its all been Hyundai for me so far. Starting with an Accent at my hometown, Santro and Verna here and now an i20. I see no reason to think of any other brands as of now, south of 10 lacs. I consider them as the best VFM cars, if you also include "quality and service" as part of "value". I hate the rattlers from Maruti, I find Hondas atrociously priced for its features, and I dont even care for a second look at Fiat, GM or Ford in that range. For price above 10 lacs I would consider a Toyota.
Old 9th September 2009, 10:16   #216
BANNED

remember the Japanese (Datsun & Honda) faced teh same image problem in the 1970's. Nobody questions them today. Old perceptions take time to change. Having had my Accent for seven + years and the Santro for four + years I am very happy with them. Not sporty (they never were), but competent and reliable with good (and durable) interiors, topped with good and reasonably priced service.
Old 9th September 2009, 10:50   #217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfrj View Post
Anyway, I feel honored a separate thread based on my comments
Dude! Even Fiat-haters and Honda-haters have not had this privilege!

Anyway, this thread is a waste of server space. Thats just my opinion.
Old 9th September 2009, 10:58   #218
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai is the second largest in India. So I dont think there are any skewed perceptions in economy cars.
When someone says that Hyundais in higher classes handle better than Hondas, Mitsus and the reason somehow is attributed to the driver, it makes a bad judgement about drivers. Not just the drivers in India but everywhere else in the world.
The Hyundais personally for me do not provide that oneness and completeness that other cars (lots of them) provide.
Old 9th September 2009, 11:13   #219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Hyundai is the second largest in India. So I dont think there are any skewed perceptions in economy cars.
When someone says that Hyundais in higher classes handle better than Hondas, Mitsus and the reason somehow is attributed to the driver, it makes a bad judgement about drivers. Not just the drivers in India but everywhere else in the world.
The Hyundais personally for me do not provide that oneness and completeness that other cars (lots of them) provide.
Could you please elaborate on this? (I am not being sceptical, I really want to know!)

Last edited by blackasta : 9th September 2009 at 11:14.
Old 9th September 2009, 12:00   #220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
remember the Japanese (Datsun & Honda) faced teh same image problem in the 1970's. Nobody questions them today. Old perceptions take time to change. Having had my Accent for seven + years and the Santro for four + years I am very happy with them. Not sporty (they never were), but competent and reliable with good (and durable) interiors, topped with good and reasonably priced service.

Exactly what I have kept saying from the time I joined this forum. I can understand prejudices/opinions for or against any product. But I rarely see them being discussed subjectively and factually. Guess that is the natural fallout of being passionate about our cars.

Let us try and keep our discussions to the topic of prejudices or the lack thereof, against this brand. THe discussions can be more meaningful if you can also share the reasons/rationale behind them OBJECTIVELY (and use the same yardstick) rather than just carpet bombing (or otherwise) the brand. In other words, for example - if you hate Hyundai's cars only because its Korean - just say so - lets not go rubbishing other attributes like handling, VFM etc, which is what will give rise to arguments.

Lastly - this thread is only about one brand. Its not a poll into what is better and why - so lets keep all other brands out of it please!

In life, I have learnt to be open to change - that it easier for the #2 to motivate themselves, and the leaders have to always fight complacency! When one views their history objectively - one can only see continuous improvement.

The market with perhaps the highest prevailing prejudice towards Hyundai is the North American continent, specifically USA - and here Hyundai has clearly shaken everyone up and made an emphatic statement with their 2009 Genesis.
Old 9th September 2009, 12:29   #221
BANNED

Hey McLaren, I've one doubt: Are you planning to sell your Baleno and buy a Verna or i20 CRDI? And you want to justify your decision by taking inputs from this thread? Then I'm sure, you won't get enough justification for your decision from this thread. It goes the other way.
Old 9th September 2009, 12:30   #222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
and here Hyundai has clearly shaken everyone up and made an emphatic statement with their 2009 Genesis.
I like that ad - its hyun-day, like sunday!
Old 9th September 2009, 13:20   #223
Distinguished - BHPian

NOTE from Team-BHP Support

This thread has been closed as most of the points have already been made & no use keeping the thread alive.

Regards,
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks