Old 20th July 2012, 22:53   #61
Team-BHP Support

Re: Why no Estate car market in India?

Being discussed here :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...d-india-4.html
Old 20th July 2012, 23:00   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

I would assume it to be the number of substitutes in the form of MUVs, SUVs. Estates aren't as premium and upmarket as SUVs/MUVs. Plus, they are priced over the sedan version of their cars and typically available only in the top-end trim - some things that matter to a buyer with 10-15L to spend. Typically someone who has a higher budget, would prefer a sedan as well, as he would probably have a second car for the practical purposes.
Personally, we have a Skoda Octavia Combi, and its a superbly practical car. The only reason we got it was because my mom wasn't a big SUV/MUV fan. Otherwise, we would have an Innova - which is similarly sized, more practical, and for some, has higher status as well.
Old 20th July 2012, 23:13   #63
BHPian

Re: Why havent station wagons succeeded in India??

I've been thinking the same and was about to start a thread when I found this one. Why don't estates do well in India ? Even estates from Indian manufacturers like Tata (Tata Estate and Indigo Marina) haven't done well so it's not just the cost issue.

The Fiat Adventure was an excellent car with many segment firsts (All wheel independent suspension, for example) and look how that flopped. Same is the case for the Octavia Estate and the Baleno Estate.

The current Fiat Adventure ( Novo Palio Adventure | Versões Flex e Dualogic Flex | FIAT ) is a looker and I can't think of any other car this side of 20 lakhs that looks as good as this, Looks are subjective I know but I'd love for Fiat to get this to India. Knowing their past success with the same car, I know they wouldn't, but well there isn't any harm in dreaming :(
Old 20th July 2012, 23:32   #64
Senior - BHPian

A very valid and interesting topic for me. There is also another thread discussing the same. Can this be merged ?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...d-india-4.html

Last edited by esteem_lover : 20th July 2012 at 23:33.
Old 20th July 2012, 23:58   #65
Senior - BHPian

I believe in India the SUV and MUV have taken the place and fulfilled the role of the Station Wagon.
The SUV and MUV have the added advantage of space and a higher ground clearance for our terrible roads.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 20th July 2012 at 23:59.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2012, 05:44   #66
BHPian

Sorry I did not notice the already discussed similar thread, please merge this topic moderators. Sorry for this.
Old 21st July 2012, 06:24   #67
BHPian

I think it's largely due to our inherent and natural search for the most economical option. This may be how a great number of people used to think for long -
1. "We have a lot of people you know... so if there's extra metal, it better be able to carry another 2-3 people"
2. "That extra metal is costing me a lot more, and it makes the car more expensive to run too"
3. "Look, a M800 is modern, a M1000 is premium. The M1000 is the only modern car with a boot, it looks good and only the rich drive it. So any car with a separate boot takes me to the next status level...and you know what, that Tata estate looks so weird!"
Old 21st July 2012, 06:40   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Estates are BIG and in a country where place is a major concern Estates won't fit into the pictures.

Moreover, Kitna deti hai question arises. The mileage being major concern will not help estates sell in high numbers.

Seeing the market trend Hatchbacks ONLY will sell. Smaller the better (some exceptions are there).
You probably mean that only those who want to buy hatchbacks will consider estates. I have a different thought. Estates are alternatives to sedans. Estates are as long and tall as sedans. Well, most estates have roof rails that increase the height. But the parking space for estate and its sedan version should be same.

When we buy a sedan, we are already paying for the area above the boot and behind the rear windscreen, so why can't we buy it?

Unfortunantely, manufacturers have always overpriced the estates, compared to the sedans. I'd ask, how much more equipment would an estate need extra?
- some 1% more steel
- rear washer and wiper
- 2 quarter glass panels
- improved rear suspensions
- roof rails ( should have been optional)

I'd say, about 25 to 30 Rs extra over sedan. But that wasn't the story (but I guess Adventure was far different from Petra).

Poor pricing and marketing, combined with people's mentality, spelt doom to estates.

Last edited by rohanjf : 21st July 2012 at 06:42.
Old 21st July 2012, 08:38   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Station wagons are any day more practical than a sedan and economical than an MUV/SUV with higher FE and better dynamics. But it's a wee bit less versatile than a comparable MUV and also other than Caprice/Roadmaster SWs, haven't seen other's with a rear bench. A BIG thing for the Indian market.
Also UVs have largely taken place of the SW. All in all,blame it on the license Raj policy.
And BTW, Ertiga/Duster are in a kind the next gen SWs
Old 21st July 2012, 09:07   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
And BTW, Ertiga/Duster are in a kind the next gen SWs
Today, I think any vehicle can be called anything. My friend's TVS Super Excel is his MUV now since he uses and abuses it for 'multiple' purposes. Renault wanted to make people believe that the Duster is an SUV, and Maruti wanted to project their van, the Ertiga, as an MUV. Heck, they didn't even spare the high-ceiling WagonR from the UV-syndrome. You called them station wagons, but no rules broken - I think it's just a subjective classification. I know this is a topic for another thread anyway.

Since we've had very few station wagons in India, the question of 'why no estate car market in India' could be properly explored if we considered these cars on a case to case basis. Perhaps the poor response to SWs wasn't due to the nature of the vehicle at all - maybe it was the company that introduced it, the lack of marketing and the pricing. Maybe it had to do with specific attributes of each of those individual products rather than a reflection of how Indians perceive that entire class of vehicles.

I can only think of a handful of models - the Tata Estate, Marina, Baleno, Octavia and the Adventure as mainstream products so far. I may have missed some. Out of these, perhaps only the case of the Marina supports our assumption that the market in India doesn't particularly like estates. The rest are examples of poor pricing and marketing.
Old 21st July 2012, 09:57   #71
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I believe in India the SUV and MUV have taken the place and fulfilled the role of the Station Wagon.
The SUV and MUV have the added advantage of space and a higher ground clearance for our terrible roads.
Seems true but technically speaking an SUV/MUV cannot replace a station wagon. Station wagons handle better, are more fuel efficient, are easier on the maintenance front, and most of all, are smaller and are hence easier to park, drive in cities etc.

India continues to be a uniquely strange market.
Old 21st July 2012, 22:46   #72
BHPian

IMO, estates are not success in india because:
1. Normally they have the same sitting capacity of their sedan versions and sedans look better with the exception of baleno altura. Also, sedans have higher status value here.
2. People who need higher boot space of the estates for some outdoor activity kits also need higher ground clearance because of the condition of our roads. In this case suv/muv are preferable india.
These are also the reasons for my doubts against the success of upcoming Nissan Evalia in our country.

Last edited by 46TheDoctor : 21st July 2012 at 22:57.
Old 24th July 2012, 18:53   #73
Senior - BHPian

Had travelled in a Indigo Marina petrol once a couple of years back and felt it was really smooth and spacious. Liked the feeling of a big car.

The success or rather lack of it is clearly visible on today's date where there are none of the station wagons left in the market place. The most affordable one was the Indigo and on the premium side was the Skoda (not remembering the name).

The last set of new cars seen on the road as station wagons were the green Meru taxis and once the cars hit the taxi market, the already beaten image further slips.
Old 18th November 2013, 14:12   #74
BHPian

Re: Why haven't Estates / Station Wagons succeeded in India?

Reviving this thread after a long time. Sorry for that.
I think we are going to see some action in the SW space in India soon. 2 cars in particular have caught my eye.
1. Datsun GO+ (Link here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intern...indonesia.html)
2. Honda Mobilio (Link here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ng-soon-4.html)

Now some of the forum members may call the Honda an MPV, but I would like to differ, considering its much shorter than the Ertiga (in height) but much longer too (in length), and just 105 mm taller than the Amaze
Now the GO+ is definitely what we call a 7 seater SW - no questions asked
IndiFuture is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks