Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2012, 17:09   #496
BHPian

Re: Comedy of Errors at Indian Dealerships

Last Thursday's visit to Ford dealership in Bangalore (suppressing full details to protect privacy).

I have been going to this place to do TD for Fiesta AT, but they haven't found one till date. While checking about the differences between low end and high end model of Fiesta AT, the salesman responded by telling only alloy wheels are different (for a price difference of 1.2 lakhs). Luckily there was one low end display model right in front of me, and I jumped in. I showed him about the cruise control that was present in the low end model, but salesman insisted that cruise control does not come with the low end model "as the brochure says so". I SHOWED HIM the cruise control, but believe it or not, he refused to accept and insisted that what is given in brochure is correct. I had my share of fun and walked away!
Old 4th September 2012, 17:35   #497
Team-BHP Support

A friend goes to book a Alto K10.
Sales guy recommends the basic Alto.

In his own words:
"Madam, no one outside will know the difference. So why pay the extra money."

bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2012, 19:33   #498
BHPian

My recent experience with accessories shop at Maruti's dealership:
Me: I am not quite happy with the head light. Can you show me what other head lamps you have?
SA: Sir, you can change it to Philips sir. Good illumination sir. Good light when it is very dark also (!) sir..
Me: You also have Osram, how is it?
SA: Sir, that is also good sir, but would give hands in between, no long life sir.
Me: Err... what is the price?
SA: sir, I would check the catalog sir.. (checks) Philips is 900 rs one bulb sir.
Me: My neighborhood shop says it is 600. Why is it high here?
SA: Sir, this is Maruti's Genuine sir...
Me: (Speechless)!

Last edited by babu.sundaram : 4th September 2012 at 19:34.
Old 5th September 2012, 14:43   #499
BHPian

This was way back in Dec 2010, when i was car hunting. Went to one of the 'popular' maruti dealership in chennai. I told the SA that i was looking for a car below 8 lakhs, keen on dzire zdi.

SA: Sir, why don't you have a look at our new product Kizashi instead?
Me: Thats too much of a stretch, but if i were to buy in that price range i would like to own a good SUV
SA: Sir, Kizashi is also a SUV
Me: (Not willing to take that conversation any further) No i don't have that much money, i will go with the dzire instead.
Old 12th September 2012, 23:58   #500
BHPian

One from my side:

<In the TVS Okhla Service Center, a conversation between me and the Supervisor, on my RTR's first service>

Me: Please remove the Saree guard as I mostly ride single.....

Supervisor: Sorry, it will not be possible saar..

Me: Why not?

Supervisor: You know saarji....it is designed and fitted to protect the bike from anything that might hit and damage it from the side; so removing it will invalidate your warranty.

Me: <in suppressed fits of laughter> Oh...I see !!
Old 13th September 2012, 01:57   #501
Distinguished - BHPian

The guy's talking through the wrong orifice ...but, actually, he might be making the right noises. Warranty Schwaranty, but it is conceivable that some liability for injury sustained as a result of that guard's removal might fall on the company
Old 13th September 2012, 08:03   #502
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJD@NewDelhi View Post

Me: Please remove the Saree guard as I mostly ride single.....

Supervisor: Sorry, it will not be possible saar..
Aorry to spoil the joke here , but it is actually a mandatory requirement by all RTOs to have saree guards on bikes in India. You can get fined for not having one on the bike.

Stupid rule I know, but that's why you see even superbikes like the R1 and GSX-R1000 sporting namesake saree guards after registration here.
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2012, 09:08   #503
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
In his own words:
It is a school of thought to which many subscribe.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 13th September 2012 at 09:13. Reason: fixed quote tags :)
Old 13th September 2012, 14:11   #504
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by babu.sundaram View Post
SA: sir, I would check the catalog sir.. (checks) Philips is 900 rs one bulb sir.
This is very common across all parts and manufacturer. So no point being surprised.

So if you know your car and know who the OEM and what model, you might as well buy OEM outside if you intend to save money.

Cheers
MileCruncher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2012, 00:31   #505
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Aorry to spoil the joke here , but it is actually a mandatory requirement by all RTOs to have saree guards on bikes in India. You can get fined for not having one on the bike.

Stupid rule I know, but that's why you see even superbikes like the R1 and GSX-R1000 sporting namesake saree guards after registration here.
Yes, I have come to know about that rule and thanks for sharing that bit of information here but the way, the SVC guy related the Saree guard to the warranty, made me go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The guy's talking through the wrong orifice ...but, actually, he might be making the right noises. Warranty Schwaranty, but it is conceivable that some liability for injury sustained as a result of that guard's removal might fall on the company
Yes, you have got a point there but the way he informed it, made me feel like it was a joke !!

Last edited by SJD@NewDelhi : 14th September 2012 at 00:33.
Old 14th September 2012, 15:36   #506
BHPian

So I was doing a PDI of a car (Brand and dealer intentionally not included). I took out the engine oil dipstick to check engine oil. It was very bright and I could not see any oil marks at the first instance. Upon checking with the SA he said "Sir that will work when ignition is on sir".
suchit23 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2012, 23:44   #507

I am in the market looking for a car and as a result visited Maruti showroom in Navi Mumbai (no plans to buy Maruti because of the long wait list). Being a Sunday it was crowded and the sales executive assigned had just one plan: how to sell entry or mid level trim without any safety features. To achieve his goal he even came up with bizzare stories: Who says airbags save life? Yesterday in Delhi a high end car collided and everybody in the car died. The car had 8 air bags!
Old 28th September 2012, 13:39   #508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by babu.sundaram View Post
My recent experience with accessories shop at Maruti's dealership:
Me: I am not quite happy with the head light. Can you show me what other head lamps you have?
SA: Sir, you can change it to Philips sir. Good illumination sir. Good light when it is very dark also (!) sir..
Me: You also have Osram, how is it?
SA: Sir, that is also good sir, but would give hands in between, no long life sir.
I also had the same kind of experience. But this happened at TATA-Concorde Chennai Dealership. I was looking for some high wattage headlamp bulbs and was charged almost double than the Normal accessories shops outside. But then, It was before 5 years when I was not introduced to
t-bhp and was dumb enough to believe the sales person and bought a pair of 'Genuine TATA' Philips bulbs at 2X the price.

Note : the is not for the price paid. But for me believing the term 'Genuine TATA Quality'

Last edited by kablu : 28th September 2012 at 14:00.
kablu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2012, 19:27   #509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
A friend goes to book a Alto K10.
Sales guy recommends the basic Alto.

In his own words:

Haha!! Was the sales guy blind? Even small children can recognize the difference between the Alto K10 and the basic alto. That's not expected Maruti

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedalpoint View Post
This was way back in Dec 2010, when i was car hunting. Went to one of the 'popular' maruti dealership in chennai. I told the SA that i was looking for a car below 8 lakhs, keen on dzire zdi.

SA: Sir, why don't you have a look at our new product Kizashi instead?
Me: Thats too much of a stretch, but if i were to buy in that price range i would like to own a good SUV
SA: Sir, Kizashi is also a SUV
Me: (Not willing to take that conversation any further) No i don't have that much money, i will go with the dzire instead.
If Kizashi is an SUV. Nano is surely a compact sedan.
Old 28th September 2012, 22:45   #510
BHPian

Me: "How long should i have to wait to get the delivery of Swift Vdi, if i book it now."
Sales guy: "Unlimited days."
Me:
carheadbanger is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks