Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2011, 13:21   #421
Senior - BHPian

Re: Comedy of Errors at Indian Dealerships

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
Took a TD of Scorpio yesterday, the Sales Lady who had come along with the vehicle mentioned that the service interval for Scorpio is every 5k Kms and she was supported by the driver who came along with her.
Technically she is right. But the fluid changes are only 15k Kms apart. This is just a way of making money from the hapless customer.
Old 21st January 2011, 14:38   #422
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
Took a TD of Scorpio yesterday, the Sales Lady who had come along with the vehicle mentioned that the service interval for Scorpio is every 5k Kms and she was supported by the driver who came along with her.
The 5k checkup doesn't involve any changes to the oils/fluids but only a general top up. And as MC said, once you are past warranty, you can forego this and nothing usually happens.
Old 21st January 2011, 14:41   #423
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
The 5k checkup doesn't involve any changes to the oils/fluids but only a general top up. And as MC said, once you are past warranty, you can forego this and nothing usually happens.
If I remember it right, doesn't Maruthi have a similar schedule?.

Check up at 5k, and fluid replacement at 10k?.
Old 21st January 2011, 14:53   #424
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
If I remember it right, doesn't Maruthi have a similar schedule?.

Check up at 5k, and fluid replacement at 10k?.
No ground rules as such. But if you want, you can have a check up done. Thats all. Because I have a Diesel Swift, I prefer to have a 10 point check done every 3000 kilometers which includes all fluid checks, light checks and sir filter cleaning and cost 100/- .
Old 27th February 2011, 22:56   #425
Distinguished - BHPian

Unsolicited advice from Ford Service Centre Road Test Driver

Went for a road test with MPL Ford Service Centre driver (14 years experience apparently in MPL). I was driving the Fiesta 1.6 P after I got irritated with the way he was riding the clutch. Listen to this,

Service Centre Driver: Sir, you should have got the diesel
Me: Oh is it? Please tell me why.
SCD: In all ways the diesel is better expect for the 1.2L price difference initially.
Me: Oh ok. Can you please name a few?
SCD: The ignition coils in the petrol fail at times. In the diesel there isn't any, so you don't have to bother. Also, rats aren't attracted to diesel smell. However they are attracted to petrol smell. So this results in cables getting chewed and associated high repair/replacement costs.
Me: Ok. Long pause!!

Please add one more reason to not buy a petrol car - Rats!
Old 28th February 2011, 11:22   #426
BHPian

Re: Unsolicited advice from Ford Service Centre Road Test Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Went for a road test with MPL Ford Service Centre driver (14 years experience apparently in MPL). I was driving the Fiesta 1.6 P after I got irritated with the way he was riding the clutch. Listen to this,

Service Centre Driver: Sir, you should have got the diesel
Me: Oh is it? Please tell me why.
SCD: In all ways the diesel is better expect for the 1.2L price difference initially.
Me: Oh ok. Can you please name a few?
SCD: The ignition coils in the petrol fail at times. In the diesel there isn't any, so you don't have to bother. Also, rats aren't attracted to diesel smell. However they are attracted to petrol smell. So this results in cables getting chewed and associated high repair/replacement costs.
Me: Ok. Long pause!!

Please add one more reason to not buy a petrol car - Rats!
Wonder what would be the state of Gas Stations across the world
Old 1st March 2011, 04:35   #427
BHPian

Was taking a test drive of the i10 Automatic and the sales guy from Express Hyundai who had brought the car home was riding with me.

I asked him (just to test his knowledge):

Me: So how many gears does this car have?
Sales Guy: Only two gears saar, forward and reverse!
Me: No no, I mean in forward, how many gears?
SG: Only one saar, 'D' gear. No need to change gears, put the car in 'D' and go!
Me: Yes I understand that I don't have to change gears, the car does that automatically, but how many gears in the gearbox?
SG (exasperated, as if he's not met a more stupid person in his life): I already told u na saar, only one gear.
Me: OK fine, whatever.

If only he could have said the word "Four", it would have been the end of that, but the guy didn't know how many gears the car he was selling had!
vineetmanghani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2011, 05:54   #428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineetmanghani View Post
Was taking a test drive of the i10 Automatic and the sales guy from Express Hyundai who had brought the car home was riding with me.

I asked him (just to test his knowledge):

Me: So how many gears does this car have?
Sales Guy: Only two gears saar, forward and reverse!
Me: No no, I mean in forward, how many gears?
SG: Only one saar, 'D' gear. No need to change gears, put the car in 'D' and go!
Me: Yes I understand that I don't have to change gears, the car does that automatically, but how many gears in the gearbox?
SG (exasperated, as if he's not met a more stupid person in his life): I already told u na saar, only one gear.
Me: OK fine, whatever.

If only he could have said the word "Four", it would have been the end of that, but the guy didn't know how many gears the car he was selling had!
Lolz - at least you got a test drive of the i10 AT. AT TD cars are notoriously hard to come by.
Old 3rd July 2012, 16:03   #429
Senior - BHPian

Scene played just this month between my friend and M&M

My friend looking specifically for a Scorpio Lx 4X4 but is interested only in one which has ABS (or fitted on request).

On posting a query in the company website, after twists and turns is assigned to a local dealer sales rep (SR) who gives my friend (FR) a call

SR: Sir so you are interested in buying a Scorpio?
FR: Yes I am but I have a specific query (tells the above query)
SR: Sir the Lx 4X4 does not have ABS
FR: Yes I know thats why I called to check if you can add it on a special request
SR: The other variants (SLE, VLX) have ABS why dont you go for that
FR: But they are not 4X4 and is not Lx
SR: But the VLX has 4X4 so why dont you go for it
FR: I told you clearly, I am interested in a Lx
SR: Ok sir I will get back to you after inquiring with the company

Now my friend asked at the company site at the first place. The matter just goes Round and round and round

The point here is why do companies not address the issue directly by assigning a knowledgeable person but pass it on to a sales guy who just wants to sell at any cost!
Old 3rd July 2012, 16:17   #430
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
Scene played just this month between my friend and M&M

The point here is why do companies not address the issue directly by assigning a knowledgeable person but pass it on to a sales guy who just wants to sell at any cost!
^^ You see, it's the Indian buyer's psyche that has led to this conundrum. They want a cheap no-frills car. Because ABS is considered a frill. It's purely a cost-cutting measure. But that's not the point.

The lack of ABS on base and lower variants is an issue that's been beaten and flogged beyond limit. Unfortunately, it's only a small portion of car-buyers that care for the feature and understand its importance.

Why, even today I saw several cars driven by people not wearing their seat belts. On occasion, I've noticed them avoiding the policeman at traffic-junctions, by momentarily wearing it albeit not locking it in place. The sales-rep in the Punto TD car himself wound the seat-belt around the drivers seat and locked it in position, citing the annoyance of the warning-beeps!

I digress. Apologies.

I believe the law will be passed in time, where manufactures and the govt. would be under pressure to ensure the requirement of a thing as mundane as ABS.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2012, 12:55   #431
GTO
Team-BHP Support

A senior Renault dealer sales executive says (I'm not kidding):

The difference between the Duster 110 & 85 is simple : In the 110, the turbo "opens" up in 2nd gear. In the 85, it "opens" up in 3rd gear.

This was proudly narrated in Hindi. Those of you who know the language can translate for full effect.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th August 2012, 13:30   #432
Senior - BHPian

Last year I had called an Audi dealership in Mumbai to enquire about the A4 2.0 TDi for a friend. (similar to our member vineetmanghani's incident)

SC: it has a fantastic transmission, much better than the Passat's (cause we were comparing the Passat DSG HL to the base A4)
Me: What is so special?? It is a CVT whereas the Passat has a superior dual-clutch gearbox.
He: yes but the Passat has only 6 gears
Me: so how many does the Audi have?? 7??
He: 'N' number of gears. It will depend on how you drive.
Me: ya but how many?? 7? 8? 9? 100?
He: 'N' number of gears SAAAR. I told you. It is Audi's exclusive technology.
Me: Your kidding right??
He: No Saaar, even the A6 and Q7 doesn't have this technology. Its exclusively for the A4.
Me: (Do I seem like a fool to him or does this guy have absolutely no idea of what he is saying??)

Last edited by S2!!! : 7th August 2012 at 13:34.
Old 7th August 2012, 13:54   #433
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
Last year I had called an Audi dealership in Mumbai to enquire about the A4 2.0 TDi for a friend. (similar to our member vineetmanghani's incident)

SC: it has a fantastic transmission, much better than the Passat's (cause we were comparing the Passat DSG HL to the base A4)
Me: What is so special?? It is a CVT whereas the Passat has a superior dual-clutch gearbox.
He: No Saaar, even the A6 and Q7 doesn't have this technology. Its exclusively for the A4.
Me: (Do I seem like a fool to him or does this guy have absolutely no idea of what he is saying??)

That seems very strange as Audi spends quite a bit as far as training the sales team is concerned. A few of my friends and ex colleagues from the Audi Mumbai have been to Germany specifically for product training.

This particular sales person must be an untrained fresher i guess.
Old 7th August 2012, 14:58   #434
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post

He is true. CVT transmissions have n gears. Check this out

Continuously variable transmission - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 7th August 2012, 17:09   #435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorque View Post
That seems very strange as Audi spends quite a bit as far as training the sales team is concerned. A few of my friends and ex colleagues from the Audi Mumbai have been to Germany specifically for product training.

This particular sales person must be an untrained fresher i guess.
The funny thing is I was working in VW back then and was a fresher myself. Hence, came the comparison with the Passat. I do know for a fact that the sales consultants are sent for training sessions and was shocked to hear him talk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
He is true. CVT transmissions have n gears.
You just made me doubt myself for some time. I went through all the links on wikipedia to realise that I wasn't wrong. Having different gear ratios and total number of gears are two different things. The A4 did come with a 8 speed back then and it was the first thing I found out after he hung up.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks