Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2009, 13:08   #31
Senior - BHPian

It was the engine that really stood out in this car. Hope toyota brings out such a diesel ion their Corollas & Camrys. Yes, the Qualis has a fantastic resale value, beyond the wildest imaginations.
Old 11th November 2009, 14:45   #32
BHPian

Its the overall package that stands out. Leave aside the looks (nuff said about that), there is simplicity in every aspect of the car. 150k kms on horrendous roads and not a peep from the suspension, no body rattle, bulletproof engine. What more can you ask for
Old 11th November 2009, 14:49   #33
BHPian

once i was talking to a cab driver. he told me that qualis is in demand most because of its engine.

there is not issue from the engine till 400K kms. compared to it the tavera's engine only last about 80K kms, and for a sumo maybe 150K kms.

plus he said that he get around 14Kmpl from his qualis that has done more than 800K kms.
Old 11th November 2009, 15:12   #34
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Wow ! This makes me nostalgic. i had a Qualis which was attached to a call centre and which ran 200,000 kms in 2 years. the only major parts that were changed was the clutch (twice) and the tyres (twice). apart from the regular oil and filter changes, not a squeak or rattle from anywhere

The engine & transmission should be plated with gold and placed in a museum she was so reliable. i myself having taken her to many places. Lemme dig out the pic. will post it soon.

& the best part - i bought it for 5 lakh and sold it for (I still dont believe it) .. 475,000 rs.

I myself was shocked beyond belief at the numbers of buyers who came forward to buy it !!

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Post Edited.

1/ Smilie usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please refrain from using excessive smilies.
2/ Please avoid typing...like...this....

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Eddy : 11th November 2009 at 15:17. Reason: Note Inline
Old 11th November 2009, 16:55   #35

We bought our qualis knowing fully well that production was stopped and the Innova was going to be launched shortly. This was December 2004 - model GS8. We still have it to date gonna be five years almost. Have taken her to many places (kunzum la - key - batal - jalori and (rohtang quite a few times). Never has she faced a problem or given up on us.
she is serviced regularly and not very expensive to maintain. In fact we have quite a number of private/family owned qualis's around our area.
Have been so impressed with her reliability that we went on buy the Innova and Altis, have not been dissapointed.
Old 11th November 2009, 21:08   #36
BHPian

I am sure most of you already know this : Qualis's was Toyota's supply chain experiment in India. And boy !! How successful it turned out to be.
Old 11th November 2009, 22:54   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb10gagan View Post

plus he said that he get around 14Kmpl from his qualis that has done more than 800K kms.

800K kms?!!! And still counting? That's something more than we usually expect from almost any car around here. Buses and trucks used to do that sort of mile-eating. The boys at Toyota has done their homework really well.
Old 12th November 2009, 00:00   #38
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Before it came to India, since it was in production in South Africa as the Venture and Indonesia as the Kijang, all the niggles, defects, quality isues were sorted out welll before it was launched in India, that's one of the reasons why we Indians were lucky to get an almost perfect product !

As regards the discontinuation, the 2L diesel engine had reached the end of life (it was in production for around 2 decades) and could not be upgraded to meet Euro 3 norms, doing so would have meant prohibitive costs, and since the IMV project (Innovative International Multi utility vehicle) was already planned, (Fortuner, Innova, Hilux platform) the Innova (short form for Innovative) was introduced in 2005.
Old 12th November 2009, 18:21   #39
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic tribute to Qualis, V12.
I still remember when Innova was introduced, my friend cab-owner-driver commented (which was also the belief of rival makers I guess) that people would fall back to Sumos, as Innova was more expensive than Qualis, bigger, and most importantly, didn't look like a van nor a car. He and others were proved wrong once again and Innova has set new benchmark for a MUV, which others are trying to match, if not emulate. Toyota's genuine marketing stroke.
This is like Toyota's Cressidas of the 80's. It met with the same fate, and Camry came into existance, yet, used Cressidas don't seem to depreciate in value. In the middle east, you buy a Cressida in running condition for X monies and can sell after 1 year for the same X monies. And Cressida was also one hell of a car to drive.
RajaTaurus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2009, 19:56   #40
BHPian

Excellent tribute. I think such threads should be started about other discontinued but popular models.
Old 17th November 2009, 10:39   #41
BHPian

i only had an experience with this vehicle for once!! i was not driving it!

i sat in the seat next to the driver and i had only one complaint!!

my knees were hurting as they constantly kept hitting the dashboard!!(front) strange isn't it! this was my only complain and yeah it looks lil skinny!! and odd shaped!!
Old 17th November 2009, 13:15   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramelo View Post
i only had an experience with this vehicle for once!! i was not driving it!

i sat in the seat next to the driver and i had only one complaint!!

my knees were hurting as they constantly kept hitting the dashboard!!(front) strange isn't it! this was my only complain and yeah it looks lil skinny!! and odd shaped!!
That happened to me too when on a rare occasion i was not driving but on the front passenger seat..was surprised by the lack of leg room and elbow room.

Ever since then i make sure i'm always in the drivers seat..can you believe in 6 years of ownership iv'e never sat in the back!

As far as your comments on the shape of the Qualis go i doubt anyone will disagree with your views there.

But ill say this buddy..its a FANTASTIC car!..you have to own one to believe what a pleasure it is!
Old 17th November 2009, 15:14   #43
Senior - BHPian

The Qualis is one heck of a car. Had an oppurtunity to drive it once way back in 2003. You never feel that you are driving such a big vehicle. The ergonomics were spot on.
Old 17th November 2009, 16:06   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramelo View Post
Me too felt the same, though I thought it had more to do with my height (I am 6'2"). A small drawback for an otherwise great car.

Excellent writeup, V12. Qualis sure deserved it.
Old 17th November 2009, 16:59   #45
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Qualis was a great vehicle as far as reliablity goes, but the shaky gear lever that we had to follow around, catch and then change was a turnoff.

But then even the fortuner and innova have it and they are all hits so..

Most Viewed