Hello my dear respected stalwarts of the mobility solutions
I am Vishal and newbie seeking your grace, knowledge and wisdom,
since I am a new bie, pardon me if i use wrong terminologies while explaining my MUV basanti Qualis ,I am sure TEAM BHP gurus Mods and members , are going to help me to the T.
In my quest for restoration of my 2001 May model Toyota Qualis I seek your help
Good news is millennium authorised Toyota workshop has claimed that they also sell parts , if i want to save on labour cost and get any work done from local mechanics.
Some work suggested by Toyota dealer lakozy on 18.4.12 is attached as attachment no 1, please guide me on the attachent no 1 points which are most critical.
the following are the issues which are to be addressed additionally.
1) Body restoration (rust removal,rust prevention,anti-corrosion ,fresh paint , same shade silver
2) any idea of how to achieve lower NVH levels , and over a period of time , how does a car loose points on Noise fronts. does the sound insulation material loose its properties.
3) also heat insulation also deteorites over a period of time. any remedy or a expert denting and painting guy who takes care of NVH levels and also insulation against heat , sound .
4) various dents as shown in bonnet , etc to be removed.
5) slight dent and cracks are appearing in rear end door , one above the key hole is visible.
6) all four corners have a decent share of dents and scratches with rust starting to spread.
7) foot board on both sides below doors , to be inspected and fitted if loose.
8) As sliding as well as power windows are Jammed to various degrees . Again here , toyota recommends to buy a new pair of sliding windows which cost a whopping 9000 for each side, so 18000/- just for middle row, sliding windows.
9) fender has dent at two places , can be seen on top and other is right below the qualis lettering.
10) want to know if i can fit internally adjustable side view mirrors , if yes, then which brand. and where available
11) one can notice the gap on the side glass on the front side seat next to driver , which is filled by a newspaper bundle to block warm air from outside.
12) trunk or dikki door has to be banged hard to shut properly; else one side of the dikki door remains , one centimeter outside.
13) front crash guard is toyota's original installation, welded at one or two places as was going loose.
14) bumper is to be restored
15) there is no question of water seeping in the car, so its ok in that front.
16) scar next to the lock in the trunk dikki door,
17) car needs urgent cleaning , actually sterlizing , as it has accumulated all sort of dirt, allergies, bacteria , due to 11 years of neglect and driven in a dusty enviornment and used sometimes to even carry construction materials e.g corrosive 200 kg cement bags etc.
18) all rubber linings are to be inspected and /or replaced , especially the ones which are for front side and middle four windows .
19) OEM bullbar - crashguard to be restored
20) rain water drain channel above doors are getting rusted and, Authorised service station is suggesting to get it done outside as they can only replace, not do patch work. in fact , they have suggested to replace many parts , including bonnet, fender, windows sliding in middle row, trunk door.
21) Last row seat to be replaced by a used one in mint condition by visiting a used parts market in Kurla Mumbai , they have lot of parts of accident vehicles
22) As sliding as well as power windows are Jammed to various degrees because of rubber linings and electronics; due to them. all power windows and central doors locks to be repaired as they fail frequently
23) All door switch to be repaired as they work with only internal button and not key.
24) Engine is in mint condition , just needs a oil and filter change
25) Planning for a K&N air filter - if available for quails , pls comment if ok.
26) steering some bush in a joint is gone , my mechanic has told to buy from Kurla used parts market. as the the joint part is not available , one has to buy the entire steering assembly.
27) Although the odometer reading is 121600 Kms (It is actually 195000) , since i bought it from a political party treasurer and car dealer , he tampered the meter from almost 88900Kms to 16300 Approx Kms, and showed that he is sentimentally hurt , when i asked his original owners contact details.
28) I have just in april 2012 , reinstalled by Airconditon and put a new cooling coil , for Rs.6000/- + service charges of 3500/-.
29) Seats / upholstery
30) The bumps to a large extent should also be absorbed by seats, in my case , i have padded up my car seats with high density foam , because the original seat and foam has lost its property of cushioning.
31) inside upholstery is very dirty , needs to be cleaned by removing also new heat insulation solution is requested.
32) NVH and Sound Heat insulation
Headlights and other lights and covers
33) Head lights need to be cleaned or restored. if not replaced.
34) OEM Fog lamps are again gone and removed as life was over'
Wheel , rims and tyres
35) right now i am using bridge stone potenza RE 88 , 195 / 70 / R-14 in three wheels
Rest two wheels for front ; I am planning for g 195/70 Bridgestone Turanzas. Pls guide if I should change the model of tyres for rest 2 wheels or buy RE88 for other two as well.
36) stepni kit and jack s et to be replaced as old one is not working
37) the rims of all wheels are in the condition similar to one shown in picture.
38) 4 more wheel rim to be changed at Rs.7648/- and two old tyres replaced at Rs.10000 approx.
39) and as per mechanic instruction my dad is inserting tubes in tubeless tyres due to the anticipated leakages from the rough corners of rim.
40) pls suggest some coats to ensure the new rims , i am buying for all 5 wheels dont get rusted for next 5 to 8 years .
41) my spare wheel pulley system has ditched me twice,
42) once when i was surprised to see no spare wheel on mumbai pune expressway - it still remains a mystery as to when the wheel fell or got stolen
43) last year , I installed a sparewheel pulley system from Authorised toyota workshop and again in 12 months , atleast my tyre is visible but is jammed in the pulley and the rod cannot rotate the pulley and so i had to tow my car recently on highway.
44)Windshield to be replaced as current one has lot of glare at night
45) Suspension –
46) Stabilizer bar bushing to be replaced ( single bush)
47) Local parts found in suspension
48) Fronth both door weather strip to be replaced
49) Hatch door stay to be replaced
50) Leaf spring local (will it improve suspension of OEM is installed)
51) I have installed 4 shock absorbers both front and rear , left and right side, from lakozy toyota in may 2011.
39) please suggest a good vendor for silensor as toyota said to replace both pieces of silensor. is it worth spending on OEM silensor from dealer.
40) as someone said that bull(crash ) guard is actually harmfull in case of front accident as crumple zones dont function as desired, is it still applicable in case of toyota itself installing them initially.
41) film installed by the 1st owner has started coming out , pls guide as to replace the film with which brand and model film to reject maximum heat. Including windscreen
42) at least due to night time glare( of opposite vehicles on my 11 year old windscreen) , i am going to replace the windscreen .
43) after removal of carrier on roof , the rust can be seen on the rainwater drain channel
Which works to be executed from local mechanics and which are to be done by Toyota authorized workshop
if you want to see some major repairs incurred till now , it is attached as attachment no 2.
to see the pictures of my qualis i have given the facebook link. as below https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...9764925&type=3