Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2009, 20:36   #16
Senior - BHPian

More than price, the lack of space is really the main killer. A real shame because it is one of the few cars that I think is actually cool.
Old 2nd November 2009, 20:40   #17
aby
BHPian

I talked to a semi-urban cousin who bought a Wagon R recently( for whom terms like BHP and torque are as alien as anything can be) and in one sentence he summarized why he didn't like A-Star "alto se kam jagah - Wagon R se jyaada price" (Less space than Alto at a price higher than Wagon R). I think that explains a lot.

Talk about Cannibalization.
Old 2nd November 2009, 20:46   #18
Senior - BHPian

The A-Star is ugly and impractical. Ugly seems to be cool in the Indian auto market, so that's not the problem. If only it was ugly and practical like the Wagon-R, it would have been a Big Hit.
Old 2nd November 2009, 20:58   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Is this sold abroad as a 3-door hatch and in India as a 5-door?
Nope. All 5 door versions.
Old 2nd November 2009, 21:02   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Nope. All 5 door versions.
Thats a fact- indeed there is no 3 door version yet. Had viewed an Auto Express, UK, test drive report (this was the first ever test drive, even earlier than any Indian magazine got to test this car) where the car was highly rated. Perhaps the Europeans are used to Japanese design eccentricities.They tested the car in Delhi and India Gate and other landmarks were seen in pictures.
Old 2nd November 2009, 21:03   #21
BHPian

This thread hits me with nostalgia. Reminds me of the times earlier this year when I had made up my mind to buy an A-Star. But that was never to be as I soon met Mr. Kulkarni from Sangli, an auto components shop owner. After a long conversation with him, I zeroed in on Swift rather than the A-Star. The latter seemed to offer too less of power in that price range. It is a different story that finally I did not even purchase a Swift

I think several people here have said it before me but definitely the pricing seems to be all wrong with just 67 ps and the limited amount of space on offer
Old 2nd November 2009, 21:30   #22
BHPian

Even though the A-star is supposed to be aimed at the youth its design in not very awe-inspiring, the front looks ok but towards the rear it looks like an over grown Alto. Also a 3-door hatch would never sell in India atleast for now because the Indian youth unlike those from europe & US, like to travel in groups. In A* the boot is non-existent and the rear seats does make one feel claustrophobic with those small windows.

Cant complain about Ritz because its a no-nonsense family hatch and it deserves to be up there.I dont have any qualms about its design either.

IMHO the Cervo would have been perfect for the Indian market but don't think Suzuki has any plans of launching it here.

Why Isn't The Maruti AStar Selling Well?-2007_suzuki_cervo_01.jpg
Old 2nd November 2009, 21:50   #23
Senior - BHPian

It is not the price alone. If the Alto had a version (VXi) with the A-star engine or the Wag-R engine, I would have bought it even if it was priced 50k higher, for the driveability it would have offered. Conversely, even if the prices of Alto LXi and A-star were comparable, I think I would still have opted for the Alto and not the A-Sar. Somehow it's design was a put off.
Old 2nd November 2009, 22:36   #24

I have test driven A* at its launch and I found it good, good to drive, good handling, it does not look bad, I mean if a beetle can be cool then why not a frog, it only ends up with perceptions and hype created, about the less boot space tell me which hatch back has good space except to few premium ones, I own a Indica and to be frank enough it is also not good, 60:40 split seats saves me here (may be this could be a good addition in A*) but otherwise also I use my boot hardly 2% of the total time I drive, more than this would require me to put the roof rails I assume; regarding the rear space it is certainly better than Alto, please check it after removing the Plastic covers put over the seats that makes a huge difference.
Old 2nd November 2009, 22:36   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnair View Post
IMHO the Cervo would have been perfect for the Indian market but don't think Suzuki has any plans of launching it here.]
It will be launched here someday in the future......when Maruti has finished milking the current Alto dry.
Old 2nd November 2009, 22:47   #26
BHPian

I have to disagree on the Pricing Factor. The ZXi version is 4.5 Lakhs OTR chennai and is the cheapest car yet in India to have ABS and Airbags. This car is great to drive and best driven single or maxmimum with 2 other passengers.

The reason for its poor sales could be the questionable styling and cramped interiors.
Old 2nd November 2009, 22:49   #27
BHPian

I own an A* my self and it is a good vehicle in its segmnent, when i was in the market for a small hatch i test drove Alto, WagonR and A-Star, major difference between all of them is the peppy nature of its engine, i also own a Baleno and found it close to baleno in terms of engine peppiness. If they have launched it 30 to 50k less it would have worked well.
Old 2nd November 2009, 23:13   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
It will be launched here someday in the future......when Maruti has finished milking the current Alto dry.
By that time people would start saying that Suzuki only copies designs because the chevy Beat would have released by then.

I dont feel anything wrong with A* price,also its a perfect driver's car in the A+ segment. The only problem is the boot space , rear window,rear leg space and also the boot design (exterior), that's pretty much half the car
Old 2nd November 2009, 23:56   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhanusrinivas View Post
I own an A* my self and it is a good vehicle in its segmnent, when i was in the market for a small hatch i test drove Alto, WagonR and A-Star, major difference between all of them is the peppy nature of its engine
You should have td'd the i10 and spark .
And the A* really doesnt have a USP, except for its looks and its virtually two seater seating capacity. Every one of its competition will out do it in some particular area, and since it has in house competition, it doesnt stand a chance
Old 3rd November 2009, 00:08   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhanusrinivas View Post
I own an A* my self and it is a good vehicle in its segmnent, when i was in the market for a small hatch i test drove Alto, WagonR and A-Star, major difference between all of them is the peppy nature of its engine, i also own a Baleno and found it close to baleno in terms of engine peppiness. If they have launched it 30 to 50k less it would have worked well.
Curious to know your experience on it's driveability in typical city conditions. I think it would be nice to drive on the highway, but found it's low end torque to be poor and it needed to be revved to get going. Compared to other cars like spark or i10 and Ritz I would think that in typical congested cities it would probably need a lot more gearshifts.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks