Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2009, 12:34   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
This is exactly what a Maruti salesman told me when I had gone to the showroom earlier this year. He said it was aimed at 'young, urban, single professionals'. But I think this segment wants to be seen in a Swift, not in an A Star. The Swift is the new Zen.
+1 to you Gilead. I am the young urban single guy. I would anyday like to be seen on a Punto, Polo or Swift not on A-stars, i10s and Ritzs. For buying A-star id rather buy a used Fiesta 1.6S or Cedia or NHC.
Old 3rd November 2009, 12:53   #47
Senior - BHPian

i feel space, price and looks all these three killed the Astar's market with other players offering better packaging to this car, even in house competetion faces this from WagonR as well as Alto and Estilo.
Old 3rd November 2009, 13:07   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivn View Post
+1 to you Gilead. I am the young urban single guy. I would anyday like to be seen on a Punto, Polo or Swift not on A-stars, i10s and Ritzs. For buying A-star id rather buy a used Fiesta 1.6S or Cedia or NHC.
+1 to that.

Btw, I had no idea that you could buy a used Fiesta for the price of an A-star. Guess I'm not in the sync with the market.
Old 3rd November 2009, 14:08   #49
Senior - BHPian

I test drove the A-star before I bought my Spark. I loved the car but for more than 4L on road (Vxi) variant I did not feel it offered too much value for my money. Not to mention the 3 pot motor was very buzzy and coarse that did not give a nice expensive car feel. For a few Rupees more the Ritz is so much a better buy. Also at 3.30L I was willing to chance my luck with GM.
Old 3rd November 2009, 18:55   #50
BHPian

A-star selling well

guys please see the sales figures A-star has been selling well in the indian market. It clocks close to 4000 units a month and it is quiet decent for me. With so many products in its line-up in the same segment. A-star figures are quiet impressive. Could you tell me how many hatchbacks cross 4000 units (forget the maruti cars). Here few people talk about performance most times but go for feminine cars. A-star is a star performer
Old 3rd November 2009, 20:44   #51
Senior - BHPian

@gvvictor

whats the description of a feminine car?
Old 3rd November 2009, 21:16   #52
BHPian

I dont see Astar as a man.Even the A* concept had pink interiors.The only man among cars is the Sx4.(this is what suzuki themselves proclaim)

Last edited by harishnair : 3rd November 2009 at 21:18.
Old 3rd November 2009, 21:39   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnair View Post
I dont see Astar as a man.Even the A* concept had pink interiors.The only man among cars is the Sx4.(this is what suzuki themselves proclaim)

I always found the SX4 ads rather funny. Especially the one where the huge rusty truck gets scared of it and backs off (most premium car owners I know are scared of rusty cycles/TVS 50 etc lest their precious vehicle get scratched and they have to go through the whole process of filling forms, claiming insurance etc). And all the 'who's the man now' chorus. Not as ridiculous as SRK single-handedly redefining the laws of automotive engineering, but up there near it anyway.

It's one thing to have a model of car that one associates with female drivers, for example Jetta in US or Beetles are mostly driven by women so they have got a rep as chick cars.

However to designate a car as man or female is a bit funny. Does that mean that only gay males would want to own SX4? By that logic it would be good for male drivers to buy a feminine car, wouldn't it?

Last edited by chncar : 3rd November 2009 at 21:42.
Old 3rd November 2009, 22:09   #54
BHPian

@chncar- will remember your advice when I buy my next car.

Lately a lot of HH bike owners are also facing a dilemma when asked what they are riding.
Poor guys are forced to say-" I am riding a Hunk"

Its OT ,still for fun sake.Sorry if I hurt anyones feelings.
Old 3rd November 2009, 22:23   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnair View Post
@chncar- will remember your advice when I buy my next car.

Lately a lot of HH bike owners are also facing a dilemma when asked what they are riding.
Poor guys are forced to say-" I am riding a Hunk"

Its OT ,still for fun sake.Sorry if I hurt anyones feelings.
Yeah, me too, just having some fun, hope nobody takes it seriously.
Old 4th November 2009, 11:07   #56
BHPian

Guys yesterday I was on my way to nellore and Near Gummudipoondi I found a A* zooming past my elantra at incredible speed. Just out of curiosity I wanted to find out what speed he is doing. To my dismay I found that he is doing an amazing 120KM/Hr in this tiny winy car. I took a break at a drive in and found that the same car was parked there. Since I knowabout the questions in this thread I wanted to get his perception of his vehicle. This is what he told me "Sir the vehicle has good handling capability but this 2 hr drive itself took the toll on us due to space issues. Me and my wife packed 2 suicases and some stuff and just see the conditon of the boot space". He openned the trunk (or what ever you call that cramped space) and it hardly fit an suitcase and the rest of the items were piled up in the rear seat. I m sure he couldnot use the inner RVM. I dont know how come he was bale to reach that speed with no visibity on the rear. He has the following comments on his car

* The engine is peppy
* Its not value for money
* Rear leg space is non existant
* Rear view is blocked and parking on tight spaces is a problem
* Very good Mileage

I wished him all the best on his car and went out my way.
Old 4th November 2009, 15:14   #57
BHPian

The A-Star is mainly a car targeted at exports. Maruti can afford to price it less competitively since they have numerous cars from their own stable to match most needs of the typical hatchback buyer in India. And why not, since the Alto is still selling like hot cakes.
Old 4th November 2009, 15:52   #58
BHPian

It is a cramped vehicle that is ugly. Why would anyone want to pay for it? (It doesn't come cheap either)
Old 4th November 2009, 16:56   #59
Senior - BHPian

i love the exteriors, i love the pep, but the one thing that is missing in this car, which is present in every maruti is 'value'

and that is the reason why this car did not do well.

cheers,
ac
Old 4th November 2009, 17:52   #60
BHPian

As spacious as Alto, but priced way higher. Big turnoff :(

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks