Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2013, 15:22   #421
Senior - BHPian

re: Nano Diesel with CRDI technology coming? EDIT: Plans scrapped for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by avingodb View Post
I think CNG Tank in Nano is under front passenger seat and not in the boot like in other cars.

I was not referring to Nano, which is an exception for CNG cylinder (s) placement. All other cars, whether hatches or sedans have cylinder in the boot, thereby affecting boot space.

However, CNG Nano's price takes CX to 2.75 L and LX to 3.0 L on road and that is the biggest killer. Edit: Plus they are offering only white and silver colours in CNG nano!

price is one issue with the CNG-ed Nano, but the CNG Alto is still Rs.50k costlier & you lose the boot, which is still usable (70L) in Nano. Plus the Nano is much more spacious & slightly more economical. Things have improved with Nano, & it is the perception of quality (& burning Nanos) that still hurts, as per my informal research.

How they price diesel Nano will be a big question and will it remain as niggle free as the petrol engine would be the second thing to watch.
I have answered to your comments in BOLD.

Thanks & Regards
Old 30th December 2013, 12:42   #422
Distinguished - BHPian

Tata Nano diesel likely to be shelved.

Tata Motors is seriously reconsidering the launch of the Tata Nano diesel altogether in the Indian market.

Quote:
The gap between petrol and diesel prices have narrowed signficantly, prompting a swing in demand back to petrol cars, especially at the lower end of the market. Over the past year and a half, petrol prices have risen by just 4.5 percent while diesel prices have soared by a whopping 30 percent, significantly reducing diesel’s cos
http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...ed-368518.aspx

Last edited by volkman10 : 30th December 2013 at 12:43.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2013, 13:00   #423
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Tata Nano diesel likely to be shelved.

Tata Motors is seriously reconsidering the launch of the Tata Nano diesel altogether in the Indian market.

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...ed-368518.aspx
That's a really bad news! If TATA could manage a 35 kmpl for diesel Nano, it would still have found some homes. And I can't digest this news after they have spend so much time on R&D and all those hype. And yeah, what do you plan to do with all those additional capacities for the plant?

You could do one thing though. Please sell that engine to Maruti and watch them working their magic with this engine studded into two or three of their models and making hay while you forecast low sales due to the price differential narrowing down.

How much ever I want to love this company, they do NOT seem to give me a proper reason (product) to feel proud about!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 30th December 2013 at 13:02.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2013, 13:07   #424
Senior - BHPian

Boy this is big news and shocking at one. Agreed the prices of the fuels have been narrowing down, this was evident from some time now.

If they are shelving just because of the fuel prices it makes no sense as diesel has an inherent 20% efficiency advantage, however it makes sense if the motor is much costlier and does not make it competitive in a Nano.
Old 30th December 2013, 14:35   #425
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
That's a really bad news! If TATA could manage a 35 kmpl for diesel Nano, it would still have found some homes. And I can't digest this news after they have spend so much time on R&D and all those hype. And yeah, what do you plan to do with all those additional capacities for the plant?
+1 to that. If its in the final stages of development, why shelve it now? For the Nano & Tata as a company overall, any additional numbers are going to be great numbers.

But maybe the pricing & the fact that Nano is largely a city car are serious potential issues. No one is going to buy a Nano at 3lacs unless it comes with astounding FE & all those missing features. Also, how much can you put on the odo with your city trips to justify the higher price tag & longer break even period over petrol? Not to mention the increased service costs of an already infamous brand when it comes to reliability.

The top end diesel Nano could well be pushing 3lacs and for that kind of money, people are definitely going to look elsewhere unless the Nano offers something radical. And top end Nano will be nothing to write about in terms of features.

Maybe the whole escalation of production costs issue coupled with the above could be the reason why Tata's might think of shelving it all together? Maybe they should just scrap the Nano in India. Its a pointless exercise to keep it going when it doesn't make them any money. Maybe they should just focus on exporting it.
Old 30th December 2013, 16:48   #426
Senior - BHPian

There are three active threads about Nano on this sub-forum itself. Plus there is a thread about new launches from Tata Motors (which is also talking about Nano).

As someone who is looking for a diesel Nano in 2014, I am quite confused and overwhelmed with these discussions.

Request mods to combine threads or move posts if needed.
Old 31st December 2013, 12:12   #427
BHPian

Seriously disappointed with the news of Nano diesel being shelved (if its true). I have been waiting for it for over a year and with the genuine belief that it would be launched in the first quarter of 14. With this news and my laptop (daily one) crashing, I need some very good news to cheer up for 14, such as all the data being honorably recovered from the crashed laptop, nano diesel being really launched, etc. :(
Old 31st December 2013, 13:12   #428
Senior - BHPian

The 2 cylinder diesel engine developed for Nano is also meant for Tata Ace BS-IV diesel when it is launched. The effort will not go waste even if they drop Nano diesel.
Old 31st December 2013, 13:28   #429

Given;

a) The Tata Nano was never able to achieve it's 1 lakh price target even with a petrol engine
b) The increasing cost of diesel
c) The diesel engine nano will inevitably be more expensive

What exactly is the value proposition?
Old 31st December 2013, 13:33   #430
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
How much ever I want to love this company, they do NOT seem to give me a proper reason (product) to feel proud about!
+1

I think Nano Diesel was ready around 2 years back and they were waiting for Nano Petrol to stabilize before launching diesel.

Now this news of shelving the project. Great going TATA!
Old 31st December 2013, 14:48   #431
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoolsundar View Post
Given;

a) The Tata Nano was never able to achieve it's 1 lakh price target even with a petrol engine
b) The increasing cost of diesel
c) The diesel engine nano will inevitably be more expensive

What exactly is the value proposition?
Assuming this car will give 35 kmpl and priced at 3L for diesel version, the competition at similar prices will give half of the mileage at higher fuel prices. Even if diesel prices are de-regulated, doesn't TATA nano stand a distinct advantage??
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2013, 14:58   #432
Senior - BHPian

Shelving of a project on which there was such a heavy investment does not show the company health in a good perspective.

We all know, that with the premium of Diesel engine, the Nano Diesel would have overlapped with a few other cars, but none of those have a diesel engine today. Maybe it would not sell as much as anticipated, but would not have gone unsold. Unless there was issue with ARAI/CMVR etc.

However, what this project would have done, is stabilise this engine for use in future non-Nano offerings.

It is definitely an opportunity being lost. However, am sure there's more than we know.

Few years back, they shelved a car called Magna, the Prima sedan did not go through as well. Now this.
Old 31st December 2013, 15:14   #433
Senior - BHPian

Is it that difficult to get some good product designers and engineers from other companies in the auto sector?
Seriously, I hope they change the shape of Nano and call it something else.
Old 2nd January 2014, 13:36   #434
Senior - BHPian

These are rumours correct ? So why jump to conclusion yet. Auto expo is just round the corner.

Even if the price differential between petrol and diesel is 50K, I am sure the diesel engine is going to recover that money quickly due to better average.

If priced at 3Lacs, and equipped with Power steering from the start, it will be a complete car in that price bracket with no competition.

They have to do some Brand-reinvention to wipe out the negatives it had gathered, and this time get it right.
And for that they can rope in a Smart-Cool brand ambassador for it , any suggestions?

Last edited by silverado : 2nd January 2014 at 13:44.
Old 2nd January 2014, 14:48   #435

I heard that even if Nano diesel is not shelved, Its definitely would not be on display in the Delhi Expo, as it was expected to be!

Come to think of it, with the increased cost of BS-IV diesel engine and rumors on decentralization of diesel prices are quoted as reasons, Tata cannot offer Nano D @ anything less than 4L, the cost for which people would choose petrol cars.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks