Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2009, 12:58   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siedo View Post
will putting in a crude motor (relatively) going to help in eating the innova share of cab market? It will rather eat in to tavera and bolero sales
This engine is not the M2Di engine sold in Scorpio and Bolero, its the CRDe engine available in Bolero Storm, AFAIK this engine is reasonably refined.
Old 29th December 2009, 13:00   #17
Senior - BHPian

ususally it is seen that upgraded, better engine variants are launched at a later stage, what sense does it make to launch an inferior engine when a better engine is already available, i know scorpio M2Di was launched afterwards to cater to a separate group of customers, but is there any other reason why this is done. is this a marketing gimmick or a high profiled strategic decision?
Old 29th December 2009, 13:25   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
ususally it is seen that upgraded, better engine variants are launched at a later stage, what sense does it make to launch an inferior engine when a better engine is already available, i know scorpio M2Di was launched afterwards to cater to a separate group of customers, but is there any other reason why this is done. is this a marketing gimmick or a high profiled strategic decision?
  1. This engine is cheaper to manufacture for Mahindra thanks to simple construction compared to the other engine, hence lower pricing possible.
  2. Simple mechanicals mean it will be cheaper to maintain.
  3. Lower state of tune and early delivery of torque will mean lower fuel consumption and power delivery suited for the target customer base.
  4. This Also will ensure the higher variants with the superior engine will be exclusive to private owners.
Old 29th December 2009, 14:50   #19
BHPian

It is not a bad strategy by Mahindra to cut into the taxi segment with the new engine. Maybe Mahindra is not looking to really topple Innova's sale because Innova's refinement is going to remain better. But Xylo is a better and cheaper option over the likes of Tavera. It is likely to rake in that share owing to its low price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harimakesh View Post
For the best road safety, Govt of India please instruct car manufacturers that " each Vehicle weighing 900kgs and above must be equipped with ABS as mandatory fitment."
India has a long way to go in enforcing safety norms. Mumbai is perhaps the only city where helmets and seat belts are compulsory. In that too I see loads of drivers and riders conveniently breaking the rules right in front of the law keepers.
Old 29th December 2009, 15:42   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harimakesh View Post
For the best road safety, Govt of India please instruct car manufacturers that " each Vehicle weighing 900kgs and above must be equipped with ABS as mandatory fitment."
I guess this something every TBHPian wonders about - Why don't TATA & M&M make ABS standard equipment across their UV range? Surely pricing cannot be the problem - I had to pay 17K extra for getting ABS on the Xylo. So I am guessing the factory cost is around 10K or lesser, and a 10K price increase can be easily managed when the vehicle costs upwards of 6 lakhs ex-showroom.
Old 29th December 2009, 15:54   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3LIOS View Post
I guess this something every TBHPian wonders about - Why don't TATA & M&M make ABS standard equipment across their UV range? Surely pricing cannot be the problem - I had to pay 17K extra for getting ABS on the Xylo. So I am guessing the factory cost is around 10K or lesser, and a 10K price increase can be easily managed when the vehicle costs upwards of 6 lakhs ex-showroom.
that is what many of our community members want from our car manufacturer, mandatory of ABS in every vehicles and airbag options on all variants.Why only availibility on top end.
Old 1st January 2010, 20:36   #22
BHPian

Hmm, after a failed idea of trying to compete with Innova in the 10-12 lac MPV Section, they are now trying their hands on the taxi section. Innova might get hit now, specially the low-featured 'E series'
Old 2nd January 2010, 09:08   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
Hmm, after a failed idea of trying to compete with Innova in the 10-12 lac MPV Section, they are now trying their hands on the taxi section. Innova might get hit now, specially the low-featured 'E series'
I don't think they failed in competing with Innova. Innova is a tried and tested product and I feel in its first year of launch, Xylo has definitely created a niche for itself and slowed the sales of Innova.
Old 2nd January 2010, 11:31   #24
Senior - BHPian

i think to the taxi market, the xylo D2 now makes better sense as-

1) it is priced cheaper than the innova & tavera.
2) it will be more FE than the innova & maybe as FE as the tavera.
3) spares & maintainence in general will be cheaper than GM & toyota.
4) space & comfort is as good as the innova & better than the tavera. does the taxi market care for plastic quality?

yes, those operators looking for a "premium" taxi will still opt for the innova for the toyota brand value.
Old 2nd January 2010, 11:57   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
i think to the taxi market, the xylo D2 now makes better sense as-

1) it is priced cheaper than the innova & tavera.
2) it will be more FE than the innova & maybe as FE as the tavera.
3) spares & maintainence in general will be cheaper than GM & toyota.
4) space & comfort is as good as the innova & better than the tavera. does the taxi market care for plastic quality?

yes, those operators looking for a "premium" taxi will still opt for the innova for the toyota brand value.
cent percent in agreement - Mahindra spares will not be an issue once the vehicles sells well
Old 2nd January 2010, 13:28   #26
BHPian

good choice of engine for the xylo ! should able to sell everywhere and like scorpio m2di .
anyway no catalog of mhindra mentions m2di exists ? dont know why
Old 2nd January 2010, 13:45   #27
Senior - BHPian

+1 to that.

Yeah, Has this variant hit the roads as yet?
Old 2nd January 2010, 15:27   #28
Senior - BHPian

Engine

As stated in the other threads, the Bolero CRDe and M-Eagle Xylo are the same engine blocks and nowhere related to the 2.6 Scorpio Motor.
Both the Bolero CRDe and Xylo have 2498 cc and has its base on the old XD3P engine. The bolero mill produce max Torque of 255nmb/w 1800-2200rpm whereas the XYLO mill produces only 24kgm or 235.2 Nm b/w 1800-3000rpm. The difference between these two motors is the ECM settings which produces a slightl;y reduced but a flatter torque curve on the Xylo.

Even though the tech details of the XYLO D2 engine is not available, from the available details, it looks like they have just retuned the ECM to get max torque at a very low RPM range thereby providing greater mileage.

Please remember the M&M actually have only 2 or 3 engine platforms and they keep tweaking in them only to get new variants. Just like the Scorpio M2DI mill is nothing but a tweaked Bolero DI Turbo engine.
Old 2nd January 2010, 15:44   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Even though the tech details of the XYLO D2 engine is not available, from the available details, it looks like they have just retuned the ECM to get max torque at a very low RPM range thereby providing greater mileage.
MileCruncher:

As you correctly pointed out the Xylo/Bolero Storm Engines are based on the XD3P block. However, the D2 engine has a different cubic capacity from the regular Xylo engine. This is why I think it is based on the DI Turbo engine on the regular Bolero Series. From the specifications it seems to be a low revving engine like the DICOR 3.0 Safari engine based on the DI 407 engine block.
Old 2nd January 2010, 15:52   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
MileCruncher:

As you correctly pointed out the Xylo/Bolero Storm Engines are based on the XD3P block. However, the D2 engine has a different cubic capacity from the regular Xylo engine. This is why I think it is based on the DI Turbo engine on the regular Bolero Series. From the specifications it seems to be a low revving engine like the DICOR 3.0 Safari engine based on the DI 407 engine block.
4X4 Addict: I guess will have to wait for the full tech details to emerge.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks