Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2010, 04:21   #31
Senior - BHPian

It'll take the Indian psych sometime to accept a pick up as a life style vehicle. But the Xenon is definitely a start.
Old 18th January 2010, 05:42   #32
BANNED

Love the Xenon pickup's looks. Was seriously contemplating getting one, but was put off by some specs. Little too long on the wheelbase and turning circle radius very high IMHO.

Maybe some owners can shed some light on this. Is it manageable in our Indian driving conditions? Can you take U turns on our narrow roads, or is every U turn a 3 point turn? From the pic posted above also, it didnt look like the truck was going to make the turn.

But everytime I see pictures or see one on the road, I am tempted to throw such reasons out the window, and get one. It looks really good.
Old 18th January 2010, 10:48   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post
Love the Xenon pickup's looks. Was seriously contemplating getting one, but was put off by some specs. Little too long on the wheelbase and turning circle radius very high IMHO.

Maybe some owners can shed some light on this. Is it manageable in our Indian driving conditions? Can you take U turns on our narrow roads, or is every U turn a 3 point turn? From the pic posted above also, it didnt look like the truck was going to make the turn.

But everytime I see pictures or see one on the road, I am tempted to throw such reasons out the window, and get one. It looks really good.
There is no U [or you] when one buys a pickup truck, it always ME.
The vehicle is longer than a Q7. What do you expect. and also this is sold here as a lifestyle pickup but the actual vehicle is designed to carry loads.

Guys in America, the PICKUP TRUCK is bought because it's cheap and can be loaded with sutff, the laws in US till recently had lower emission regulation for such vehicles [mainly pickup] hence cheap to build and sell. Here in india it the same but a big deterrent is the regisatration as public transport [read Yellow plate] is the vehicle is launched as commercial vehicle. And anything other than that the company wants to make big bucks by selling a vehicle as lifestyle, where similar components in other vehicles is cheaper.
Old 18th January 2010, 12:46   #34
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

good well needed improvements, saw a Xenon XT parked at Nirmal Lifestyle last week, and both I and my wife immediately like it quite a bit, the black one looked gigantic due to the full hard rear cover.

Had seen one without the cover in Blue earlier and was not impressed, infact it had felt too sissy if it can be that.

The Hard Top full hight rear top makes the vehicle loog cool and big expecially with the original crome rear guard, but dont really get the point of this unless one mounts seats at the rear and I think the hight left after the loading bay is too less to do this well enough.

TATA is just making a statement with the vehicle and there is no intention of selling it in numbers in India presently, so this works fine for them, but there could be a market with a price tag that is down by about 1.5L with no loss in other stuff across the board.
Old 18th January 2010, 13:15   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
It'll take the Indian psych sometime to accept a pick up as a life style vehicle. But the Xenon is definitely a start.
+1
I love the car, it looks awesome & starts a segment which has been absent in India. It may take a while for the Indian psyche to accept it but it definately is a great start.

Everytime i think of a pickup, i think of the Dodge Ram. Intimidating looks & a stonking engine. I can just imagine driving one on Indian roads
Old 25th August 2010, 21:20   #36
BHPian

I had been to Concorde Motors @ Dairy Circle in Bangalore 2 days back to enquire about Xenon 2010 version and its availability.

Unfortunately I was told the 2010 version is yet to arrive at Showrooms and is expectedly only by September end. Not sure if 2010 version is available at other parts of India.

The Senior SE with whom I discussed about the vehicle did send a power point slides which indicate the interiors to be of two tone beige as against my beleif that it was a single tone beige. The slide has a CAD image, so cannot realy makeout the actual shades of the beige.

The second difference specified is that ABS comes with EBD, not sure if this is common combination in all cars, but seems to be welcome option.

The saddest part is that the 2010 version is going to be 80K more expensive than the previous version. This would mean a Xenon XT 2010 4X4 will now cost about 11.30 lakhs on road in Bangalore.
Old 25th August 2010, 22:28   #37
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pardus View Post
I had been to Concorde Motors @ Dairy Circle in Bangalore 2 days back to enquire about Xenon 2010 version and its availability.

Unfortunately I was told the 2010 version is yet to arrive at Showrooms and is expectedly only by September end. Not sure if 2010 version is available at other parts of India.

The Senior SE with whom I discussed about the vehicle did send a power point slides which indicate the interiors to be of two tone beige as against my beleif that it was a single tone beige. The slide has a CAD image, so cannot realy makeout the actual shades of the beige.

The second difference specified is that ABS comes with EBD, not sure if this is common combination in all cars, but seems to be welcome option.

The saddest part is that the 2010 version is going to be 80K more expensive than the previous version. This would mean a Xenon XT 2010 4X4 will now cost about 11.30 lakhs on road in Bangalore.
So ,the already expensive Xenon is much more expensive now.

BTW it is already august and if still the vehicle is yet to reach showroom when will it reach??? May be in jan 2011

The Uninor uses xenon for its marketing activities and has been provided to regional mangers ,so that they can park the vehicle and start the marketing with the loading bay full of promotion materials

In chennai i think only uninor has bought 8 xenons
Old 13th September 2010, 17:57   #38
Senior - BHPian

Yes, I had spotted a black UNINOR badged Xenon during my last visit to Chennai. This machine looks awesome!!
Old 22nd September 2010, 11:17   #39
BHPian

Even I happened to spot the black uninor xenon parked at a hotel parking last evening. It's HUGE, almost as big as a endy, and very handsome looking. But rear leg room seemed very low. It is a let down if such a huge "so called" lifestyle vehicle can't accommodate 5 adults in best comfort.
Old 15th November 2010, 19:29   #40
BHPian

Came across this video on YouTube. Madrid Rumbo al Sur con Tata Motors 4X4 Seems to be a Tata Motors sponsored event. There are more Tata vehicle.

Old 16th November 2010, 04:16   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitBahl View Post
Since its launch I have liked this vehicle a lot.
I find it better than safari.

I spotted a black pimped up Xenon XT a few days. Bling alloys, fat tyres.
Here are the pictures:
This one looks really nice! Too good to be the first Indian pick-up truck...
Old 16th November 2010, 10:06   #42
Senior - BHPian

Mods : Why exactly the only lifestyle pick-up in India pushed to commercial vehicle segment. I am yet to see a yellow board Xenon.
Old 16th November 2010, 13:20   #43
Senior - BHPian

here is a Xenon with private registration.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...rt-pics-2.html
Old 16th November 2010, 13:47   #44
BHPian

The xenon was originally designed beacuse people who own farms or places outside the city don't want to take their normal cars till there. The market is small and a 'decently' long flat loading bay is needed for transport. Also because not every pickup owner owns a commercial vehicle license. Most only have a standard LMV license.

All the Uninor trucks were bought I believe from a Bangalore showroom. I saw them just out of showroom in koramangala sometime ago.
Old 16th November 2010, 14:47   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
here is a Xenon with private registration.
+1 In fact I have only seen private registrations till now team-BHP ownerships are also for private use.

Most Viewed