Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2010, 15:02   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
For me, looking at our road conditions and the driving sensibilities of our public (not talking of the small percentage of polished drivers), Volvo cars make a lot more sense with their excellent safety features.
Is there any data to prove to prove that the S80 offers better safety than latest E and 5. The newer cars offer very much comparable safety features. Lets not ride on the fact that Volvo is the safest car in the segment. Even if it is, the relative difference would be very very small or minor.
Old 27th June 2010, 16:14   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
Is there any data to prove to prove that the S80 offers better safety than latest E and 5. The newer cars offer very much comparable safety features. Lets not ride on the fact that Volvo is the safest car in the segment. Even if it is, the relative difference would be very very small or minor.
Well, I am not sure how the S80 go straight on with the new E and 5. I totally agree with you that the European models provide comparable safety features. I was not doing a segment comparison. And its a known fact that some models out there have better drive and handling. My point was just that this is not a brand which should be dismissed outright.
Old 28th June 2010, 13:30   #33
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
As a responsible automobile forum, I think we should give a bit more thought
Take an objective view of the segment then. The Volvo S80 makes the least sense for a premium car buyer, as Volvo passenger cars have very poor resale value in India. When you're paying 50 lakh rupees for new, the resale value (5 years down the line) can make a huge difference to your cost of ownership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
For me, looking at our road conditions and the driving sensibilities of our public (not talking of the small percentage of polished drivers), Volvo cars make a lot more sense with their excellent safety features.
How do they make "a lot more sense" with their excellent safety features? Excuse me, but let me be upfront in telling you that the E Class & 5 series are as safe (if not more than) the Volvos. No one will really be left wanting for safety standards in the 50 lakh rupee German cars.
Old 29th June 2010, 01:21   #34
Senior - BHPian

Considering these are CBU's, the spare prices are really low compared to the cars in the same segment. The prices are in the current ACI issue.
Old 30th June 2010, 19:18   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Take an objective view of the segment then. The Volvo S80 makes the least sense for a premium car buyer, as Volvo passenger cars have very poor resale value in India. When you're paying 50 lakh rupees for new, the resale value (5 years down the line) can make a huge difference to your cost of ownership.

How do they make "a lot more sense" with their excellent safety features? Excuse me, but let me be upfront in telling you that the E Class & 5 series are as safe (if not more than) the Volvos. No one will really be left wanting for safety standards in the 50 lakh rupee German cars.
My intention was not to show E or 5 in poor light. It was more to just mention that Volvo is not a bad product to be dismissed outright. More than 100% agree that the BMWs are way ahead in driving pleasure and brand image. Generally outside India,Volvo cars are bought by those who have the money, want to buy and quality car, but don't want to stand out too much in the crowd.
Of the mid luxury segment, my personal favourite is always BMW, and that will be my choice if am buying a car for myself - and your review of the new 5 have raised the desirability factor.
And with the current research I am doing to finalize on a car for my parents in India, Volvo S80 D5 maybe my final choice, as I don't want the car to scream luxury on Kerala roads (and stoned down during one of those frequent bandhs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Considering these are CBU's, the spare prices are really low compared to the cars in the same segment. The prices are in the current ACI issue.
I think you wanted to say spare prices are HIGH compared to other cars in the segment.
Old 30th June 2010, 20:54   #36
evo
BHPian

I like the Volvos cos they look understated and are quite exclusive, but I dont see the reason why anyone at all buys them.

If the bloke running the Swedish embassy gets one, thats alright, but why would any normal non swedish non volvo dealer buy a volvo in India?

(In this post Volvo = Volvo Cars)
Old 5th November 2010, 17:29   #37
Senior - BHPian

Today's HT Delhi carries a full page advertisement of the New S80 D5 Twin Turbo with 220 hp - this monster deisel at 35L Ex-showroom. Which is great pricing.

Which makes me wonder what the price on the S60 & the XC60 be. Certainly 5-10L cheaper. IF that happens, that'd be a lip smacking deal ''

Seems like VOLVO is "trying" to get their act together.

Cheers
Old 31st December 2010, 12:57   #38
BHPian

Re: New volvo S80 launched in india

Volvo is known to be very highly reliable machine. Hardly anything ever goes wrong with it and it is built like a tank.

Perhaps thats why in US and Canada Volvo cars demand highest resale value next only to RR and Bentley. Volvo is also preferred brand by UN missions.
Old 7th February 2011, 12:45   #39
BHPian

Re: New volvo S80 launched in india

Hi all, I am keen in buying a Volvo S40 or S60. Couldn't find reviews on the same. Any expert opinion or reviews?

Likewise - would anyone know how to find a dealer to buy in Bangalore since the company doesn't have any showroom in Bangalore. Also - not sure about their service centers in Bangalore.

My other options in mind are Superb & 3 Series.

Pls. suggest.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks