Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2010, 13:29   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroguzzler View Post
BMW's with any sort of suspension setup can never hold a candle to MERCEDES in ride comfort and road isolation. Across the segments if you consider ride comfort to be of cardinal importance, the 3series loses to the C class, The 5series to the E class and the 7series to the S class.
Ride comfort and BMW's are oxymorons.
Yes, you are right, & that is why BMW has tuned the suspension to softer settings to make it appealing to those who prefer comfortable ride.
Old 3rd May 2010, 13:33   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Feel like a laugh? Three questions that were asked in the press conference by a journalist (no, I am SERIOUS)

1. Where is the engine located?

2. Is it water cooled?

3. Does your new BMW have solar power?

Credit to Peter for answering with a straight face
This is ultimate. The best answers would have been

1. The engine is inside the car

2. No. We use the engine to heat the water

3. Yes and guess what, we also give two solar rice cookers free!!
Old 3rd May 2010, 14:55   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Feel like a laugh? Three questions that were asked in the press conference by a journalist (no, I am SERIOUS)

1. Where is the engine located?

2. Is it water cooled?

3. Does your new BMW have solar power?

Credit to Peter for answering with a straight face
I was watching the entire drama unfold at the press launch at BMW webcast. I felt like.. donno how peter must have felt.. In fact one had even asked that are there any plans to launch a LWB version of the 5 series.
Old 3rd May 2010, 16:26   #64
Senior - BHPian

A6, 5-Series & E-class comparo by Autoexpress

Please refer the link for the comparison of the three German competitors by Autoexpress (UK) -

New 5-Series vs rivals | Car Group Tests | Car Reviews | Auto Express

5-Series is the winner as per them, by the readers have declared Jag XF despite owned by Tata.
Old 3rd May 2010, 17:21   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
In fact one had even asked that are there any plans to launch a LWB version of the 5 series.
Thats a good question because such a car exists in China.
Old 3rd May 2010, 19:18   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
This has been mentioned a million times over by various members and outsiders too. Self drive then it cannot be anything but a BMW, If Chauffer driven most of the time then it is the Mercedes.
Well this generalization isn't true now a days and not so easy. While Mercedes has sharpened the new E Class as far as handling goes, without effecting the waftability and the refinement the three pointed star is famous for, BMW has sacrificed the sharper dynamics for a more pliant ride. Choosing between isnt as easy now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Last evening saw the 5 at the launch and boy she is a stunner. I went with an open mind and just carrying images seen from pictures from here and the net. The car in the flesh is way different. The 18" wheel, the kidney grill a little more in proportion than on the 7 series, the great lines and a nice rear. I had my doubts about the rear end of the car and in the side profile pictures due to the angle gave it the disfigured kind of look which kind of resembled the first Bangled 7 series Boot area. In the flesh the 5 pretty and i am sold on the car. The 535i made no sense at 75lakhs on road as it is almost 20 lakhs more than its siblings both petrol and diesel. 10 lakhs more would get you the M3. The 530d made the most sense at 55 on road and enough of a grunt to get a smile on your face with practicle sense.
I dare say it but even the last generation E Class looked better than the new 5 Series. E60 evoked extreme reactions, most probably the reason why it sold massive and is loved by most. The new 5 Series is plain jane and a little too conservative and the auto mags around the world agree with me.

The E Class W212 on the other hand looks as elegant as the old one but with subtle aggression and is unmistakably E Class while the 5 Series is a lost identity.
Old 3rd May 2010, 19:34   #67
BHPian

Saw the W212 today in white. She looked different today and had pasted a new image in my mind. Never really appreciated it since its launch and thought the lines had no logic in them. After yesterdays launch, I am almost naturally thinking that the W212 at least had its flame surfacing alive and its own character but at least had one!

Nevertheless, a BM is a BM. Even though it is not admirable from the outside, I sincerely hope it would outsell the competition

Last edited by AirbusA340 : 3rd May 2010 at 19:39.
Old 3rd May 2010, 21:06   #68
Senior - BHPian

While some may not find the 5 nice or perhaps too subtle, believe me once the sales start of all models I can assure you 90% of the year the 5 will be ahead in sales. This car is not just about the Exterior or Interior, it's the entire package called the 'BMW 5 Series' and it will be unmatched and always lead, in this generation too it's perfect. Wait till you drive it the steering is as good as it gets too....

P.S Coming to the topic of LWB 5, I seriously think they should launch it in India as we have similar class of people who love to be driven around in and that would be perfect for those who do not want to spend for the 7. I mean a 525D in LWB should suffice to set a whole new segment on fire. Infact I think in china they also have the A4 LWB.

Last edited by S350L-E240 : 3rd May 2010 at 21:26. Reason: Talking about LWB.
Old 3rd May 2010, 21:33   #69
BHPian

India get it before USA/Canada

India get it before USA/Canada
Old 3rd May 2010, 21:41   #70
Senior - BHPian

diecast, I do not have information about Canada but I got back from the U.S on the 17th and BMW of Arlington had a few cars in their stock then. Also do remember the F10's are not being delivered yet in India it will take few weeks esp. for the CKD's to start being delivered.

Regards,
Old 3rd May 2010, 23:57   #71
BHPian

Yes Usa do have now

Quote:
Originally Posted by S350L-E240 View Post
diecast, I do not have information about Canada but I got back from the U.S on the 17th and BMW of Arlington had a few cars in their stock then. Also do remember the F10's are not being delivered yet in India it will take few weeks esp. for the CKD's to start being delivered.

Regards,
Yes,Usa have new BMw 5 series sorry i take my words back but Canada not yet as i have roots in canada i wanna replace my 3 series with new 5 series so i am in contact with dealer.
Old 4th May 2010, 01:38   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Well this generalization isn't true now a days and not so easy. While Mercedes has sharpened the new E Class as far as handling goes, without effecting the waftability and the refinement the three pointed star is famous for, BMW has sacrificed the sharper dynamics for a more pliant ride. Choosing between isnt as easy now.
I drove the W212 and found it as boring as my W211. The New 5 is yet to be driven but even if you drive the previous 5 it is involving for the driver. I am sure the new 5 will be too. I am not talking of handling here i am talking of a boring drive compared to a more involved drive. I own both Bmw and Mercedes and can feel the difference of both cars. Its like a lazyboy style with the mercs and an attentive guy with the BMW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I dare say it but even the last generation E Class looked better than the new 5 Series. E60 evoked extreme reactions, most probably the reason why it sold massive and is loved by most. The new 5 Series is plain jane and a little too conservative and the auto mags around the world agree with me.

The E Class W212 on the other hand looks as elegant as the old one but with subtle aggression and is unmistakably E Class while the 5 Series is a lost identity.
You are entitled to your opinioun my friend. I prefer my W211 to the W212 or the previous generation 5 series. I would not call the new 5 conservative but would say they have tried to bring back the E39 with modern touches. In comparison to the previous 5 this is plain jane no doubt about it but it does look like a stunner to me as i have always like the E39 look and this fits in perfect. I am sure it would grow on everyone like the 7 series did.

No chance the W211 is the more elegant than the W212. The W211 lacks in aggression that the W212 makes up for. You cant call the 5 a lost identity go back to the E39 like i mentioned above. I am sure they have their inspiration from there. On the other hand we all have our views and preferences so you like the old 5 and the W212 and i the new 5 and the W211. The point is the car is great for some and not so for others but yet it will sell in good numbers as it is a very good package in the whole.
Old 4th May 2010, 02:04   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is a question for everyone.
Which car is more spacious? The F10 or the W212?
Also, when is the new Audi A6 expected?

I feel the rear seat space is what will affect the sales charts.
Old 4th May 2010, 02:18   #74
BHPian

the outgoing Bmw 5 series tail lamps were something to die for. the car had a sportier niche feel to it as compared with this new version launched. The newer version looks more like the 7 series - big and boring.
People and lots of youngsters would prefer more 3 series and the outgoing 5 series version than this new one.
To me, this is yes indeed a newer version, albeit a plain jane boring one.
Old 4th May 2010, 07:52   #75
Senior - BHPian

ashwin_seattle, I thought the rear of the new 5 is the most aggressive part? And calling the 7 big and boring? Big, Yes! Boring? Absolutely not, it's one of the finest examples of luxury cars with the driver in mind,

I'm so shocked with the negativity on the F10, or maybe it just will grow on some in due time.

Lamborghini, I find the W212 more spacious. And the Audi A6 will be Q1 2011, but like the A8 we already know what it will look like right? Just a little larger A4

Last edited by S350L-E240 : 4th May 2010 at 07:53.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed