Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2010, 23:46   #421
Senior - BHPian

It is great to hear that Altis is coming in Diesel variant. That too the High Fe of above 21km per ltr. Price is o.k for a middle class person to upgrade.
Old 25th July 2010, 07:15   #422
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
I would like to see the comments if Ford bring the Focus sedan with 1.4 TDCI shared with Figo and Fiesta.
I am sure all manufacturers are keenly watching market response for Altis 1.4 D4D.

If this car is successful in non-taxi market, we may see a wave of fuel efficient cars being launched in this segment. But if it is only the taxi segment which majorly picks up Altis 1.4, then that may not happen (atleast from Ford and others who do not have the stellar A.S.S. reputation of Toyota).

Make no mistake, no manufacturer in India enjoys the status of Toyota. Indian automobile market seems to be eating out of the palm of this manufacturer.
Old 25th July 2010, 10:33   #423
BANNED

Having test driven this car from a dealer, not one of those highly tuned and filled with reference fuel versions you get for media drives, and spoken with people on the dealer floor, this is my take:- ignore the 1364cc engine detail for a moment and drive this Altis diesel with an open mind, working the gears the way you would do in any other diesel car (think: Swift diesel). There is no issue with "performance" for city traffic, matter of fact on the uphill part of flyovers it has something that can not be easily defined, but feels like great surge of power in 3rd gear at speed as low as 25kmph.

On fuel economy, I think the Skoda diesel also promised amazing fuel economy when it came out - but then, the rear seat comfort in the Altis is way better. So 20km per litre fuel economy in semi-city would be welcome.

But most of all, the car is totally silent inside, in city traffic. Obviously some new generation NVH stuff is at work.

Dealer feedback is that there is a category of people who are using cars as tools for trade as well as family. Maybe they had an Innova type vehicle and now want to use a car, for whatever reason - status, no hassles on highways from authorities, boot that can be locked and is not visible to all, etcetc. For them, this is the ideal vehicle.

A pity that Toyota plans to make just about 800 per month. I think this car will be more succesful than the Maruti DZire diesel.
Old 25th July 2010, 21:07   #424
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by malq View Post
I think this car will be more succesful than the Maruti DZire diesel.
I am guessing you mentioned this statement in relative terms, not all can afford a 12 lakhs car, even if it means a lot of VFM in it.

The car is a sure-shot VFM package, I would say its a first of its kind, VFM in the premium segment.I would say its an oxymoron in making, a premium VFM car.
Old 26th July 2010, 11:26   #425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Yes, but then GM fans do not tom tom "peace of mind" song.
+1, very aptly put. whenever we talk about Toyota, there remains an underlying emphasis on "Peace of Mind" due to dependability. In my opinion, it was true for sometime in 70s and 80s in probably US and Japanese market, but it is not true anymore.

Even Toyota guys know it better how Hyundai's and Kias have been Giving tough Fight to Toyota on quality and reliability parameters.

Look at this year's JD power reliability and dependability rankings (India and worldwide) and you will see there is not so much difference between a japs car or a German car or an American car and even a Korean made car; that people should shy away from stylish option towards boring ones. This indeed is an overplayed card in current times.

Toyota has been in so much of Mess of late that it has been losing to even Ford in Quarter profits.(April to June period where there were no major recalls). Read This.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory?id=11245269
http://www.rttnews.com/Content/TopSt...=B1&Id=1368725

Last edited by anu21v : 26th July 2010 at 11:40.
Old 26th July 2010, 11:58   #426
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
That is fantastic news! The Altis is already at the top of the C+ segment in terms of sales; with a fuel-efficient diesel, they'll repeat a "Fortuner" success story If I were Skoda, I'd be very worried.
or a vw, or a chevrolet i would be very worried.

cheers,
ac
Old 26th July 2010, 13:23   #427
BHPian

based on the reviews it looks like its a typical toyota engine. that is, its very similar to the innova in the way it performs. As Sid quoted in his test drive thought it can rev till 4500rpm there is no power gain after 3800rpm. and the way it climbs steeps and develops torques while climbing. i had a back to back trip to kodaikkanal(a small hill station) in 1.6s and innova. 1.6s was no lack of power,its amazing handling was a lot of fun, however innova showed a different fun while climbing steeps it keeps gaining torque where most cars will ask for a down shift.

I'm a bit confused on the reviews people say i has a good low end and mid range power which is something i really wish in a car cause i drive about 40kms in city traffic every day, they also say it has huge turbo lag. Does this mean there will be constant gear shifting in traffic? in that case a 6speed manual will be a bit of a trouble.

Looks like i'm also wrong about the way it looks, now i feel the other grille would look better.
Old 26th July 2010, 15:26   #428
BHPian

Just caught the half page ad of the Altis Diesel on the last page of Times of India, Bangalore edition. All it talks about is low NVH, 6-speed gearbox and fuel efficiency. What I mean to say is that the ad just does not mention anything about the engine, its power or capacity.

Non-tbhpians will be in for a shock when they visit the showroom to take a look at the car!

Last edited by wanderlust : 26th July 2010 at 15:32.
Old 26th July 2010, 15:54   #429
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust View Post
Just caught the half page ad of the Altis Diesel on the last page of Times of India, Bangalore edition. All it talks about is low NVH, 6-speed gearbox and fuel efficiency. What I mean to say is that the ad just does not mention anything about the engine, its power or capacity.

Non-tbhpians will be in for a shock when they visit the showroom to take a look at the car!
Very expected. Why would Toyota even want to highlight that ?
Most customers would not know or care, some would not even want to know...
Old 26th July 2010, 15:56   #430
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust View Post
What I mean to say is that the ad just does not mention anything about the engine, its power or capacity.
Not only the ad, the car itself is missing this information. It is common practice to put the engine capacity as badging on the car. Like 1.8J/1.8G/1.8V on petrol Altis. That is missing from Altis Diesel.
Old 26th July 2010, 16:01   #431
Distinguished - BHPian

When Skoda Laura CRDi MT has a FE figure of 20kpl with much bigger and powerful engine, The Toyota's figure of 21.43 kpl with a 1.4 litre engine that makes just 85hp mated to a 6speed MT is not very surprising to me.

The Altis cannot even dream to match the Jetta or Laura MT's driveablity, they pull like locomotives from as low as 1500rpm.
Old 26th July 2010, 16:03   #432
Senior - BHPian

No engine details in TOI ad. Soon we will be seeing lots of yellow plate Corollas.
Old 27th July 2010, 12:01   #433
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
or a vw, or a chevrolet i would be very worried.

cheers,
ac
I might have to retract my statement. Reason? The Innova. It's also a Toyota, can seat more passengers, has a bigger engine, is decidedly more robust (body-on-frame) and is substantially cheaper than the Altis diesel. Without doubt, there will be some amount of cross-shopping between the Innova D & Altis D. Whether its private customers or commercial (especially).
Old 27th July 2010, 12:04   #434
BHPian

When are we seeing the "GTO" styled test drive reports?
Old 27th July 2010, 18:08   #435
mxx
BHPian

Ofcourse there will be small difference sales figures of Cruze, Laura. But something that should worry the competition? I doubt that.
The customer profile of Cruze/Laura and corolla is completely different.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks