Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2011, 20:20   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Hindustan Motors sinking? To report to the BIFR

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijosh View Post
As per my understanding HM was about to be reported to BIFR in 2009-2010. However they have reduced their losses in 2010-11 and shall not be reporting to BIFR.
This is a heart warming news for HM fans like me.

With Best Regards,
Abhijeet.
With the HM's Ambassador selling 100 something units during Nov 2011 and the Mitsubishis selling in tens to a hundred every month things are really on a down slide at HM.
The Ambassador's monthly sales @ around 500 units till a few months back was something that could sustain the company, if not make it profitable. But the alarming figure reported last month rings the panic button.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 8th December 2011 at 20:24.
Old 9th December 2011, 12:37   #62
BHPian

HM Ambassador Launched In Bangladesh

HM has launched the petrol, diesel and CNG variants in Bangladesh.

Here is the news article:

Quote:

If you thought the all time classic HM Ambassador is dead and gone, think again, you may be wrong especially if you stay in a country like Bangladesh! The HM ambassador may not have the same old charm left in India but it still retains its demand in a country like Bangladesh. The leading local business conglomerate of Bangladesh, Intraco Motors Limited has teamed up with Hindustan Motors to sell the ambassador in the market. Ambassador has been the most sought after and trusted product of the flagship venture of CK Birla group, Hindustan Motors. The Ambassador sold in Bangladesh will be available in petrol, diesel and CNG variants.

“I would like to invite you (Indian automobile investors) to invest directly or relocate your industry in Bangladesh. As a minister I assure you allout support on behalf of the government,” Industries Minister Dilip Barua said while inaugurating the ambassador at a city hotel.

The petrol and CNG variants are powered by a 1800cc engine with AC as standard option. The diesel variant will be powered by a 1350cc engine which will also have AC as a standard fitment. The cars would cost BDT 2.250 million and BDT 1.550 million respectively. Acting Indian commissioner in Dhaka, Mr. Sanjay Bhattacharya, FBBCI senior vice president M Jashim Uddin and MD of Hindustan Motors Manoj Jha were also present on the launch event. Hindustan Motors also has plans to set up a manufacturing plant in Savar with the help of Intraco Motors Limited. The plant will be set with an estimated cost of US$10 million and both the companies have a plan to assemble 10,000 cars within the next three years. Initially, they will assemble 200 cars.
Source: HM Ambassador Launched In Bangladesh

Cheers!
Irish
Old 9th December 2011, 14:15   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
I guess this is more due to the non-payment of salaries for HM workers in their Uttarpara plant since July. Selling 100 odd cars a month is really a pathetic performance. The Birlas are just clinging on to this piece of junk (no offense) just to make some astronomical profits to be made on the prime land off NH2 ready for real estate development. The labor unions work hand in glove with the Birlas since they know they will get some cut on whatever firesale they organize of the plant whenever it shuts down.
My Dear Friend,

It has nothing to do with the salaries of the workers. HM sold a part of their share in AVTEC Hosur transmissions and engine division. The proceedings of this company has become a part of my study. No offences here as well, but would like to mention here that we better study the things before we make such comments whether good or bad about anybody.

With Best Regards,
Abhijeet
Old 9th December 2011, 14:20   #64
Senior - BHPian

Re: HM Ambassador Launched In Bangladesh

There has already been posted in another thread at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...rt-bifr-4.html
This post can be shifted there.

Last edited by rajeev k : 9th December 2011 at 14:24.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2011, 22:48   #65
BHPian

They deserve it, the company should be closed down. I remember long discussions on this forum regarding what should they do to save the company, the company lacks common sense.
Old 11th December 2011, 19:21   #66
BHPian

I recently read it somewhere that HM is coming out with a sub 4-meter Amby with a shorter boot to take advantage of the excise benefits. Also is a pick up version recently out!??
Old 12th December 2011, 00:09   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijosh View Post
My Dear Friend,

It has nothing to do with the salaries of the workers. HM sold a part of their share in AVTEC Hosur transmissions and engine division. The proceedings of this company has become a part of my study. No offences here as well, but would like to mention here that we better study the things before we make such comments whether good or bad about anybody.

With Best Regards,
Abhijeet
Ah well, that probably is true. But there was a news article where the workers had stated that they were yet to receive their salaries since July of this year. That I distinctly remember reading in TOI a few weeks ago. My comments were not meant against you, apologies if it came out that way.

My beef is with the Birlas who had a government gifted platform to become an indigenous manufacturer of automobiles in India. They even received a shot in the arm with an alliance with Mitsubishi way back before the global majors had settled in. They frittered their advantage away continuing to manufacture this good for nothing clunker.
Old 5th February 2012, 23:52   #68
Senior - BHPian

The MD of HM Mr. Manoj Jha has resigned after only 6 months in his position.

Also the company is raising 14 crores via allotment of preferential shares.

I see a SAAB in the making except there is no competitive platform here up for grabs.
Old 6th February 2012, 07:40   #69
BHPian

so not a good time to contemplate buying mitsubishi vehicles?
Old 6th February 2012, 20:57   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir View Post
so not a good time to contemplate buying mitsubishi vehicles?
Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
The MD of HM Mr. Manoj Jha has resigned after only 6 months in his position.

Also the company is raising 14 crores via allotment of preferential shares.

I see a SAAB in the making except there is no competitive platform here up for grabs.
The fact is that Mitsubishi is'nt also doing well in Europe and is contemplating closing its only plant in Western Europe. The details are here on post # 120, second part.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intern...ml#post2672026
The HM-Mitsubishi joint venture is showing signs of an imminent collapse. After all, how long can a company sustain itself with only losses and losses? A few hundred cars sold every month and made by two separate plants with large installed capacities is no way to do business.
Old 7th February 2012, 13:06   #71
BHPian

I, for one, am sad to see it go. I still have my 63 Amby and though its not in running condition, its there for me to mod some day. Yes, the interiors were bad, the design was horrible, the electricals had their own spirits and demons. But, as for a rural ride with the entire family, there's not a single car out there that can beat the Amby. Sitting in the back and just chugging along the highway was such a fun experience. All the best, HM. You need three things

1. A newer die for your basic design cast
2. A bunch of models and not just the Amby
3. A management that is actually willing to move forward.
Old 7th February 2012, 13:26   #72
Senior - BHPian

Bullet, of same vintage, is going from strength to strength Amby has lot the plot completely, I don't know why. Both Amby and Bullet have their peculiar 'idiosyncrasies' that gives them character, one is a success other has failed. I think HM did not 'reinvent' the Amby to suit the tastes of the market whereas Bullet has 'reinvented' itself successfully to become the oldest mobike in the World to be in production for 60+ years in almost the same avatar.
Old 7th February 2012, 13:49   #73
Senior - BHPian

If the HM management wanted, they could have done a lot of things (refer my earlier post on this subject).

Sorry to say, Mr. Birla & Co. just does not have the will to do anything to HM. Royal Enfield has Mr. Lall who made it his single point agenda to turn things around and he did it.

At the end of the day, if the promoters/top management of any company takes the bit between their teeth and decides that they must turn things around for the better - come hell or high water, they can do it.

HM can still be resurrected. Yes, it will require intensive investment to overhaul processes, products, manufacturing etc (and i'm sure the respected owner's of HM is not exactly wallowing in abject penury), but more than capital it requires positive will, guts and gumption.
Even if today HM seriously goes out shopping for a manufacturing alliance don't you think that they stand a fair chance? Question is : will they?

End of the day they are interested in selling off the land . The Uttarpara property is huge ! and that too by the riverside. The amount of money the owners will make by selling or promoting the vast tracts of real estate , possibly HM would never have nor will ever earn so much profit ever.
Old 22nd February 2012, 10:07   #74
BHPian

With upfront apologies to all Amby fans, here's another piece of news on the sorry state of affairs at HM Cars fail to meet green norms, taxi owners in a fix - The Times of India. Apparently they will take over 4 years according to their own timeline to come up with a BS4 compliant 1.5L Isuzu engine.

What I do find astounding is the West Bengal government's dogged insistence that only Ambys can be registered as taxis in the Kolkata Metropolitan Area. Even when HM themselves cannot produce BS4 compliant 1.5L taxis which the owners are ready to buy. It borders on ridiculous logic from successive governments showing so much unwarranted love for a clunker. Tata Motors hd approached the government for selling the Indigos as taxis but were summarily rebuffed. What it seems like is both HM and the WB government are now brothers in arms steeped in corruption. So much so that they are ready to defy court orders. If the car itself had some quality one could have had some appreciation but when all the Ambys made currently are extremely shoddy in quality, and even with a 1.5 liter engine move slower than the Nano, most of the Amby taxis I have found have some disability towards the left which prevent them from making a proper left turn and almost all of them are a hindrance to traffic making the mes of the Kolkata traffic situation messier. Seriously it is just absurd that the government still tries to have HM sell their Ambys sell as taxis by hook or crook.

Last edited by samarjitdhar : 22nd February 2012 at 10:09.
Old 9th March 2012, 13:58   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

"Hindustan Motors is reportedly considering sale of some more assets, investments and land to raise funds. It was reported in The Business Line that its board member and former Managing Director, A. Shankara Narayanan stated that to arrest financial deterioration and stay firm on the recovery course, the automaker was likely to offload certain investments and properties."

It was also mentioned that C.K. Birla, Chairman of the company, said that Hind Motors was introducing a new diesel-driven sports utility vehicle Pajero Sports on March 12 under licence from Mitsubishi Motors Corporation. Hind Motors appointed Uttam Bose as Managing Director on Wednesday. He will join on April 2."

Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks