Team-BHP - Gen2 Suzuki Swift, EDIT:Caught testing in India, Pics on Pg.15
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Gen2 Suzuki Swift, EDIT:Caught testing in India, Pics on Pg.15 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/84106-gen2-suzuki-swift-edit-caught-testing-india-pics-pg-15-a-12.html)

I dunno, a lot of people seem to be disappointed that the proposed India edition is not the same as the EU edition.

Why should it be??

As MSIL as a manufacturer likes to ask, "Kitna Deti Hai?"

Leave aside the power-hungry (?) TBHP enthusiasts, and look at the real masses to whom MSIL intends to sell this car. I have seen references like Maruti-The Rattler in this thread. Of course Maruti cars rattle, of course they are shoddy in the face of International competition. But it doesn't mean we have the God-given right to demean them.

If we think we deserve a better car, we should go out and buy it. Period.

There is no point badmouthing Maruti for not giving us an Audi (or comparables). Of course they will not, because they don't want to and they're not there for it.

Personally, I am happy that Maruti gave us the 800, when we were laboring under the Padminis and the Ambys, apart from Inter and MM 540s later on. I am thankful that they got us the Swift, however downgraded and watered-down, but it was to change the way B+ segment cars were presented to the Indian markets.

I appreciate the changes MSIL has rung in, and I hope we soon get a better Swift.
Amen.

Well, I, on other-hand, will keep hoping, perhaps foolishly. There might be some quality compromises, but I am damn sure that we will get the European dash in the Zxi.

The Ritz has the same dash as the Splash. Here are the pictures. First is from the this forum, while the other from European website.

Also if Swift is to be priced higher than Ritz, then the dash has to be better than Ritz. Shouldn't it be so?

I am waiting for the Swift as my first car, as my parents/uncles/aunts and the innumerable well-wishers all around want me to buy a Maruti :D as a first car. Buying a swift will satisfy me as well as them. God! Hope it comes out this year. It will kill me to wait till next march.

I strongly believe that Maruti will bring out the new Swift completely spec-ed. The game has moved forward since the introduction of the Hyundai i20. There are people who are ready to spend that little extra to go in for those deal-breaking features like automated mirrors, 3 way-adjustable seats along with features like climate-control et al. And now, Maruti will be looking to regain some lost glory, of sorts.

After-all, it was the Swift that began the movement. Yes, the Getz did come first, and it was a better car in some ways, but do remember that the Swift really kick-started the segment to life! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by suhaas307 (Post 2068983)
There are people who are ready to spend that little extra to go in for those deal-breaking features like automated mirrors, 3 way-adjustable seats along with features like climate-control et al. And now, Maruti will be looking to regain some lost glory, of sorts.

lost glory ? where ? its the top selling hatchback till the date. Automated mirrors, 3 way-adjustable seats, notwithstanding, there much more fun in swift than those cosmetic features. Get a key from a friend and try, you would not crib at all :thumbs up.

From the international spec sheet, it looks like the new Swift has switched to hydraulic power steering. Great going, if that is the case!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajay_J (Post 2069012)
lost glory ? where ? its the top selling hatchback till the date. Automated mirrors, 3 way-adjustable seats, notwithstanding, there much more fun in swift than those cosmetic features. Get a key from a friend and try, you would not crib at all :thumbs up.

Not disputing the fact that the Swift is the top-selling car in its segment. But there have been new cars in the market recently that have proved to be worthy threats to the Swift. For example, the Hyundai i20. There was a time not long ago when the automatic choice for a premium hatch was a Swift, now however, you have quite a variety to choose from. :)

Having said that, I have driven my friend's older ('05) Swift and it's fantastic! The steering and the chassis is extremely communicative. Unfortunately, it was the LXi and the 165 section tyres didn't do full justice to the car's immense potential! :)

Even if you keep the sales numbers aside and the fact that this is a 5 year old design, there is no other hatch in its segment which provides a better combination of engine, gearbox and chassis. I just can't imagine how much further the new Swift is going to push the goalpost.

Quote:

Originally Posted by longhorn (Post 2069096)
Even if you keep the sales numbers aside and the fact that this is a 5 year old design, there is no other hatch in its segment which provides a better combination of engine, gearbox and chassis.

+1 To that dude!
And the addition of the K-series engine actually has made the combination a lot sweeter! And I dont even want to start about the 15kmpl mileage.
If the Swift is that good and responsive with the EPS, I wonder how it will be with a hydraulic unit.
Unfortunately, not many in the market appreciate its strengths, and it sells mostly on the basis of it being a "Maruti Diesel".

I have one concern though. If Maruti carries over the current 1.2 engine into the New Swift, good though as it is, I feel it will loose that performance edge it has having to lug a heavier car around.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sajo (Post 2069621)
+1 To that dude!
I have one concern though. If Maruti carries over the current 1.2 engine into the New Swift, good though as it is, I feel it will loose that performance edge it has having to lug a heavier car around.

That might just be taken care courtesy a K12M VVT . Let's hope that it finds it way under the hood of the new Swift. Bye the way the EU Swift has got a 5 star NCAP rating.(courtesy the side curtain airbags, I suppose):D. Man, this chassis deserves the 1.6 VVT from the SX4.

One of my close friend gave a call to a dealer in Bombay/Pune(his job makes him shuttle between both, so i don't know which city/dealer was he talking about) and the dealer refused to take any order and cited no reason regarding the same.

Could any of the fellow T-Bhpains confirm this? Some info from other places would be good too.

The Swift is one of my favourite cars to drive. I'm sure that this one will be a blast too, but really, did they have to make it ugly? It looks worse from almost every angle. A nicely modded version of the current Swift looks tons better. They've completely spoiled the stance and doesn't seem to have improved passenger room at all. The increased length hasn't resulted in better legroom, that was at the cost of the boot space, which is already a sore point in the Swift.

Making a car look like the one its replacing is never a great idea. If that were the case, the Vista would have sold much better, considering that it's all-new and much better than the Indica. At least the Vista looks better than the Indica unlike the new Swift.

I'm hoping that like the new WagonR, MSIL will do some serious redesign before rolling this one out. I assume the Dzire will still go on for a while longer before its redesign. Hopefully, the next version will be something that I will want to take a second look at.

I think they will continue with the current K12 engine for the new car. Maruti carried over the old G13BB from the Esteem because it was still great. It doesn't make sense to chuck an engine as good and as new as the K12 just because the car's new. I'm not expecting any changes either, apart from a possible slight retuning to match the car's character. Please MSIL, consider a six-speed manual and an optional auto 'box too. Oh, and the ZDi too. Oh, and I sincerely hope they will offer the 15 inch rubber as on the Euro-spec car, at least on the Z models.

For me, the new Swift looks much better.

@vivekgk: Why did you leave out the interiors? Do you still find the old Swift's interiors better?

When the Swift was first introduced in India, there were mixed responses just like these, with regards to styling. Now, perceptions have changed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRIV3R (Post 2074556)
For me, the new Swift looks much better.

@vivekgk: Why did you leave out the interiors? Do you still find the old Swift's interiors better?

When the Swift was first introduced in India, there were mixed responses just like these, with regards to styling. Now, perceptions have changed.

I suppose it is a design that will grow on you eventually. I just find it a bit jarring, especially the side view. The front overhang looks all wrong. The same for the lights, they look as if they've been stretched out of proportion. The thing that I like the most about the Swift is the short overhangs and the 'wheels at the corners' look. But I still maintain that the old Swift, especially the GTi, looks a lot more sportier than the new Swift. The Swift's appeal was never 'long and low'.

You're right about the Swift being perceived as ugly when it was launched. My aunt bought the second Swift to be sold in her city, and even now after 4 years, and 30K kms, still finds it ugly, especially the rear. She's not alone, btw. So why'd she buy it? Because it was the newest model, and because it was a Maruti.

It wasn't just the design that made the Swift a hit, it was the performance, the handling, and most importantly, great and widespread A.S.S from Maruti. Oh, and Fiat's Multijet diesel mill.

I actually like the interiors of the Swift, though they're a bit plain. The new one's are better, but I wouldn't say they are a huge improvement. I wish they'd made it a bit sportier and a lot more different than the old Swift. I can sort of see why they would want to carry over the successful design, but why didn't they go the Ritz or A-Star way with wild, fresh and sportier interiors?

The old Swift was groundbreaking in its design. There was nothing like it in India. Shouldn't the new Swift too, be something like that, rather than looking like a photoshop job of the old one? It's a missed opportunity. It pales in comparison to the upcoming competition, like Chevy's new Aveo RS, both in interior and exterior design.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheel (Post 2073918)
One of my close friend gave a call to a dealer in Bombay/Pune(his job makes him shuttle between both, so i don't know which city/dealer was he talking about) and the dealer refused to take any order and cited no reason regarding the same.

Could any of the fellow T-Bhpains confirm this? Some info from other places would be good too.

I am terribly confused now, suddenly Swift advertisements are everywhere on TV.
Are they trying to get rid of inventory? Seems as the most viable and sensible option to me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheel (Post 2074686)
I am terribly confused now, suddenly Swift advertisements are everywhere on TV.
Are they trying to get rid of inventory? Seems as the most viable and sensible option to me.

More likely, they're trying to get the most out of the current model before it's stopped. Of late, I've seen that the panel gaps are not what they used to be. The dies are probably due for replacement after such a successful run.

Remember that the Baleno and the Esteem used to be promoted heavily, with huge discounts before their replacements arrived? The moment you see Swift being sold with discounts, you can be sure that they're gearing up for the new one. I was offered a small discount and freebies on the petrol versions in June.

Besides, Diwali season is here, and it's when sales boom in North India. Expect huge discounts, limited editions and all that jazz.