Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2010, 17:23   #16
Senior - BHPian

Guys this is the second time I am posting this in the thread:

The forthcoming launch is not Punto Sport; it is ONLY a version of the diesel Punto, with the 90BHP VGT mill.

Please see the pictures linked by Sidindica in the other thread here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ve-review.html

There's nowhere in this car you can see the word SPORT. The ACI title is 100% misleading. Fiat calls it "90HP".

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 23rd June 2010 at 17:24.
Old 23rd June 2010, 17:23   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbhp View Post
This had been as everyone pointed out a huge disappointment . After waiting for nearly a year , I was expecting them to do another GTX in the market but I guess at the moment , its Swift VDI/i20 who are the rockstars.

I dont understand what Fiat was trying to prove launching this product. Imagine a non sport VDI can kick the Punto sports 3 letter word all the way till 100 and still more.

Bad-Bad---Now I hope they dont launch the abarth Version with 96 bhp and a 0-100 timing of 15 seconds !
What? 15 seconds? Bikes do better or even small cars! Typo right?
Old 23rd June 2010, 17:25   #18
BHPian

Probably we should hold the reins on criticism till the final product is out...Properly tuned I guess this is going to kick some ***. With the kind of highway performance, Id lovethe bigger engine for some hard revving on highways. I have not lost hope !
Old 23rd June 2010, 17:32   #19
BHPian

I really wish this information is bogus or this is just a nightmare ! Else Fiat India need to go to rehab !

EDIT :

sandeepmdas post sounds reassuring

Last edited by s3va : 23rd June 2010 at 17:37.
Old 23rd June 2010, 17:34   #20
CPH
BHPian

It is about time that you get the 1.6 M-Jet.

Much more suited for the Linea.
Old 23rd June 2010, 17:37   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
What? 15 seconds? Bikes do better or even small cars! Typo right?
Just being a Chandler Muriel Bing !
Old 23rd June 2010, 17:41   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbhp View Post
I was expecting them to do another GTX in the market but I guess at the moment , its Swift VDI/i20 who are the rockstars.
I was looking forward to this.

I have a question. Why are both Petrol & Diesel variants of this car so slow? I know there is weight but why are we not seeing REAL 90 Bhp performance. Where is all this 90Bhp going? Is this really there at the wheel? Has anyone with access to a Dyno rig tested a 90Bhp Punto and checked what its power output really is. If this car has 90Bhp it should quite easily take on every hatch available, but it isn't. Not even close. Is there some explanantion available for this?
Old 23rd June 2010, 17:55   #23
Senior - BHPian

I think Autocar's number are a pile of crap. Had this discussion in another thread but it cannot be true that this car is slower than the Linea (which does 0-100 in 15 seconds) in a car that is 100kg's lighter, which everything else being identical (gearing etc.).
Old 23rd June 2010, 18:06   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

As we were discussing in the "Fiat at Auto Expo" thread, the VGT in theory has one critical advantage over FGT in addition to extra power: that it reduces the turbo lag (by making the Torque curve more flatter, which is a good news). However, ACI article mentions heavy turbo lag (turbo kicks in only at 2500 RPM) for Punto 90 HP. This is really weird. I wonder what Fiat has done to this new version that makes it not only slow (compared to other 90HP hatches), but also suffering from a severe turbo lag in spite of having a VGT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
The ACI title is 100% misleading. Fiat calls it "90HP".
The ACI title is not misleading. Nowhere (either in title or in the article) have they called it Punto Sport. They only refer to it as Punto 90HP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
I think Autocar's number are a pile of crap. Had this discussion in another thread but it cannot be true that this car is slower than the Linea (which does 0-100 in 15 seconds) in a car that is 100kg's lighter, which everything else being identical (gearing etc.).
Yes, I was involved in those discussions. And I again believe that if Autocar so consistently gives lower performance numbers for Punto (and Overdrive gives even worse numbers), then may be there is some truth in it. I like Punto very much and it is a great car, but we have to accept that it is not very fast. In fact, the 0-100 kmph numbers are so bad that even if we assume the numbers are a bit wrong, even then this is a slow car.

Last edited by Dr.AD : 23rd June 2010 at 18:17.
Old 23rd June 2010, 18:09   #25
BHPian

This car will have the VGT that shall give the extra power of 90 HP without compensating fuel efficiency.

BTW the exact power of Linea is 93ps@4000rpm & torque 209Nm@2000rpm. The same should be on Punto.

Dunno about comparison with i20, but if priced right ...this is the one to buy. The power available in i20 is of no use due to the vague steering & handling.
Old 23rd June 2010, 18:19   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
Yes, I was involved in those discussions. And I again believe that if Autocar so consistently gives lower performance numbers for Punto (and Overdrive gives even worse numbers), then may be there is some truth in it. I like Punto very much and it is a great car, but we have to accept that it is not very fast. In fact, the 0-100 kmph numbers are so bad that even if we assume the numbers are a bit wrong, this is a slow car.
Yes, I agree with what you say, the Punto is not a fast car, neither is the Linea. The point is that they need to tell us the reason for the Punto being slower than the Linea when everything else remains identical (they went the whole hog and said that the gears were same to the last teeth), that's what half-way decent journalism is about, answering at least the obvious questions.
Old 23rd June 2010, 18:26   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
Yes, I agree with what you say, the Punto is not a fast car, neither is the Linea. The point is that they need to tell us the reason for the Punto being slower than the Linea when everything else remains identical (they went the whole hog and said that the gears were same to the last teeth), that's what half-way decent journalism is about, answering at least the obvious questions.
Yes, I agree with you on the explanation part. It is indeed a puzzling question as to why Punto is slower than Linea with same engine and same gearbox (and this happens for both petrol and diesel engines), and somebody should take the pain to explain the reason. Since it is apparent that ACI has good relationship with Fiat (since Fiat has put ACI reports on their official website and now gave them an "exclusive first drive" for Punto 90HP), maybe Autocar should explain this anomaly.
Old 23rd June 2010, 19:02   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
Guys this is the second time I am posting this in the thread:
There's nowhere in this car you can see the word SPORT. The ACI title is 100% misleading. Fiat calls it "90HP".
Okay, let's assume that this is not a SPORT version of the Punto showcased in Auto expo. But what is the point in launching this Punto with 90HP! According to ACI report, under normal conditions i.e. city driving and driving up to 100kmph there is not much of difference! Performance is good only after 120 KMPH. The target segment (i.e. people who drive at 120+ daily, example: NICE road, Bangalore) is small IMHO. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I am sure on-road Bangalore prices will be close to 8 Lakhs if there is 15% premium for this car. One can either Pete current Punto or go for bigger i20 diesel with 6 gears at this price.

Last edited by recshenoy : 23rd June 2010 at 19:04.
Old 23rd June 2010, 19:08   #29
BHPian

There is no point in debating whether the car is good or bad, even before any pundits from TeamBHP has done a test, I completely do NOT agree with the test done in Autodrive, thats my POV...lets not go into the swing of deciding whether its powerful enough for Indian roads or for that matter is this the SPORT or just the 90HP model! Better wait till it comes on road & judge ourselves...
Old 23rd June 2010, 19:18   #30
Senior - BHPian

I didn't care the hell of that 16.1 second 0-100 kmph timing on a "preproduction car that is not in final spec and is being more fine tuned."

Frankly, does an average driver care? No. VGT will improve the characteristics of this engine and will make for a good optimised all round of a diesel hatch for Indian roads.

Want 0-100 in 13 seconds? Go, hire a cab driver.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks