Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2010, 22:21   #91
BHPian

What I have in mind is even more yummy!
How about a Pete'ed 90HP Punto? Aint that gonna me more juicy???

Maybe my next upgrade and mod!!!
Old 25th June 2010, 22:57   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
one one hand you have a fiat punto

1248 cc multijet diesel
16V DOHC
90 horsepower@4000 rpm
20.4 kg-m torque@1750 rpm
5 speed manual
finally, a variable geometry turbocharger

and on the other hand, you have a Hyundai I20

1396 cc CRDI diesel
16V DOHC
90 horsepower@4000 rpm
22.4 kg-m torque@1750-2250 rpm
6 speed manual
variable geometry turbocharger

who will win? 5 speeds of pure Italian bliss or 6 speeds of Korean insanity?

this month wait is really killing me..please can we have team-bhp's first ever comparo between these 2 cars?

see both these are almost close in price, features and equipment (asta and emotion pack)

it should be an epic comparo.

If you are looking at outright acceleration, the i20 will win hands down due to its lower weight. Overall driveability comparison should be interesting...
Old 26th June 2010, 00:00   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound_Affects View Post
Well was just going through this months ACI, and came across this new MOD for the GP called the KIIRUS ECU remap. The thing is that they claim it REALLY makes a difference in its performance. It significantly develops more power though unknown to these guys . They have carried out a road test for the same and the timings do show significant improvement. The 0-60 coming up in 5.66 with the mod thats 1.13 secs quicker and 0-100 in 15.21 being a whole 2.63 secs quicker and shedding 4.71 in the run to 120 (15.21 as opposed to 17.84)

Keeping these timings in mind and the price at which it is offered ie; 19500/-(excluding duties) its sure makes the GP a better bet than the soon to be launched 90HP GP as its got superior performance (considering ACI's road test) and costs less than the expected price hike that is 50k.

Wish a comparison can be made between the pete's box and this kiirus one.

Was excited too after going through the Kiirus article in ACI. Ran through their website which came up with some interesting details:

Kiirus Autotuning Redifined

According to the article, the remapped ECU would make around 97 bhp (a massive 22 bhp increase!!!) and the torque bumped upto 235 NM.

Similarly below are the figures for a remapped 90 bhp Punto:

Kiirus Autotuning Redifined

Here too the power is going up by 22 bhp and the torque to 245 NM!!!

Have been fancying buying the 90 bhp Punto and since this article's come up, daydreaming abt plonking the Kiirus for good measure. Tht would mean a total of 112 bhp and a min of sub 12 sec 0-100 run. For the excessive smoke, a good Green or K&N filter should take care of it.

The Kiirus also seems be cheaper than the Petes and marginally quicker too. However, reliability remains unproven...

Request the experts to some out with views on Kiirus vs Petes and the potential of the same on the 75 and 90 hp Puntos....
Old 26th June 2010, 10:18   #94
Senior - BHPian

This makes for interesting reading. Waiting for some real world results. Is this a tuning box or a remap ?

If the reports are positive, it may retire my Swift Zxi & get in the Punto. Petrol de-regularisation effect !!!

Cheers
Old 26th June 2010, 10:52   #95
Senior - BHPian

Wrote them a mail & guess what !!! Got a response within 25 minutes !!! IF that is the level of service, then I guess, it may be worth trying.

They say if there are enough cars to be done, they can come down & do it, else courier them your ECU & they will courier it back the same day after re-programming it !! Sounds good to me.

Cheers
Old 26th June 2010, 12:12   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
one one hand you have a fiat punto

1248 cc multijet diesel
16V DOHC
90 horsepower@4000 rpm
20.4 kg-m torque@1750 rpm
5 speed manual
finally, a variable geometry turbocharger

and on the other hand, you have a Hyundai I20

1396 cc CRDI diesel
16V DOHC
90 horsepower@4000 rpm
22.4 kg-m torque@1750-2250 rpm
6 speed manual
variable geometry turbocharger

who will win? 5 speeds of pure Italian bliss or 6 speeds of Korean insanity?
I have driven both Linea with VGT and i20 CRDi. The i20 easily has more refined engine with very good engine characteristics and come with very well sorted taller gearing which makes it much much better the Punto on the highway with not only relaxed nature but also with superior FE at high speeds.

In comparison the Linea with shorter gearing starts running out of breath at highways speeds and FE drops with speed.

i20 CRDi without a doubt has the best diesel engine in the segment.
Old 26th June 2010, 13:19   #97
BHPian

@ anshuman

A good engine alone do not necessarily make a good car. i20 makes sense to be driven in empty super highways but not in highways with traffic.
Old 26th June 2010, 13:54   #98
Senior - BHPian

Ref. Kiirus

- just how true is their claim " Remapping is virtually untraceable so this will not affect your warranty."? The current version of diagnostic software that Fiat is using may not catch it perhaps, but that doesn't mean the next version will not..we must remember that Fiat's support team is the one that has some stupid people, their tech team is apparently full of smart guys...

- Kiirus says that they are an international business, having centres in Istanbul and Fremont CA; when I googled for "kiirus fremont" / "kiirus ecu fremont" / "kiirus istanbul" the results were all totally irrelevant, and in all these searches the Mumbai site turned up on top.

Guys I am not saying it is a conshop, I'd just say follow your instincts...

Just my 2c.

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 26th June 2010 at 13:56.
Old 26th June 2010, 14:03   #99
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MihirC View Post
Well what I fail to understand is no one (including FIAT) is promoting this car as a faster car, so why is everyone assuming. Its just supposed to be a punto with increased power,better engine and improved overall driving experience with a better top end performance. IMHO it is not right to assume that just because the engine is better and the power has increased that the car will drive like a rocket. Take it to the expressway early in the morning and let loose of the engine at varying rpm levels and then maybe the overall improvements will be realised.
dosent that mean the car should be faster? lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Hi

I am not too techy. But from what you say, one has to drive a FIAT for a few thousand kilometers for it to "open up"

I think by that time one is "used to the car's behaviour" ofcourse a new engine needs to be run in BUT we also tend to get used to the way the cars drive.

Just my POV

Cheers
can i add to that? what your saying is true.

but what ive noticed is that there is much more difference seen in the fiat multijets while running in than in any other car ive seen. it takes longer to settle and you can literally see a difference in the smoothness and acceleration every week while running in.
Old 26th June 2010, 15:18   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
dosent that mean the car should be faster? lol

can i add to that? what your saying is true.

but what ive noticed is that there is much more difference seen in the fiat multijets while running in than in any other car ive seen. it takes longer to settle and you can literally see a difference in the smoothness and acceleration every week while running in.
Yes,Well it does mean that the car is faster. But as mentioned in the review you can feel the difference only if you are flooring the pedal on the higway. What they mean I guess is its more comfortable to reach higher speeds without the engine losing steam.Guess its something to do with the way the ECU is programmed/with the gear ratios. Please do correct me if its wrong.
Old 26th June 2010, 18:09   #101
BHPian

i am lost here.

saw kiirus website, impressed initially, but the grey cells are making me think deeper. guess it's the weekend effect.

anyways
plans changed. was sure to buy the punto sport. now since there is only an engine upgrade (i know sun-roof, those ooooohh soooo seexxxyyyy alloys, blackish headlamp + tailamp, spoiler, red stitched leather interiors will be of no use practically) i m not sure whether i want to buy this car anymore :-(
was imagining myself in that white car (minus those stickers ofcourse)

no more punto - if it's not the sport - it's not punto for me for sure now!!
Old 27th June 2010, 00:59   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MihirC View Post
Yes,Well it does mean that the car is faster. But as mentioned in the review you can feel the difference only if you are flooring the pedal on the higway. What they mean I guess is its more comfortable to reach higher speeds without the engine losing steam.Guess its something to do with the way the ECU is programmed/with the gear ratios. Please do correct me if its wrong.
The FGT version of the MJD has one disadvantage, the torque starts dipping after ~3100rpm. This behaviour is standard across all the cars from Swift to Punto.

The VGT version has better torque at 3000+ rpm hence the higher power rating. But till ~3000rpm do not expect much difference as the peak torque is not much different.

The Punto desperately needs a six speed gearbox with a taller top gear or a taller top gear with the existing gearbox as the car with current setup starts feeling strained at speeds above 100kph with rpm running upwards of 2500rpm, the boomy nature of the engine makes the matters worse. The car feels like its running in the 4th gear, this is huge disappointment as the car comes with very good straight line stablity and always feels slower than the actual speed but the engine feels otherwise, what a weird combo.
Old 27th June 2010, 10:28   #103
BHPian

Imo hyundai diesel engines are more powerful but their handling is no match for fiat, who also btw have great diesel engines.
Old 28th June 2010, 23:52   #104
Senior - BHPian

Guys, took delivery of my Punto MJD EP BS4 FGT Medium Grey today evening; skipped through the Owner's manual. The manual covers FOUR Punto models - 1.2, 1.4, 1.3MJD 75 AND 90 .

So the VGT launch is imminent; it also means that the 90HP has no additional "bells and whistles" other than those present in the EP. That's my first impression. I will thoroughly check for anything that's available in the manual but not present in my EP - obviously 90HP specific - tomorrow.

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 28th June 2010 at 23:59.
Old 29th June 2010, 09:08   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ The only trim differences expected in Punto 90hp are Red thread stitching on seat fabric and chrome finish outside door handles(carried over from Linea). I would have loved to see the Linea quality seat fabric.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks